Pirelli PZero?

Angus Young

May 23, 2022
I’ll be picking up a used Formentor (VZ2 310) in the next month and I have a question about tyres.

I have a long history of upgrading tyres on my cars, often as soon as I get the car, and have often found that a better set of tyres can transform a car. And so, in the countdown to getting my hands on a Formentor, I’m starting to muse on what I might gain from swapping out the tyres.

At this point I can’t know what my Formentor will come shod with, given that there seems to be different tyres fitted at the factory and, being a used vehicle it might even be on it’s second set of tyres (though I’ll be going for something low mileage, so this might be unlikely). But I do know that I’m thinking of swapping to a set of Pirelli PZero (PZ4). A recent group test showed them to offer everything I look for in a tyre. Anyone have thoughts/experience with the PZ4s on the Formentor? I’m looking to make gains in all the usual areas of grip, comfort, noise etc. And, in particular, I’d like to get some more feeling into the steering, which is something that seems to be identified as a little lacking according to most of the reviews. Personally, I’ve found that that’s one of the big wins when upgrading tyres. Second on the list would be for the tyres to be quiet. By the way, not all that concerned about the longevity of the tyres.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

CupraCarly

May 2, 2022
Hertfordshire
Will depend entirely on your preference, you could go for a softer compound but if your doing miles you'll be replacing them like they're going out of fashion.

Have a look on Camskill once you have a tyre size, they stock lots of different brands with ratings. My personal favourite are uniroyal rainsports had them on all my cars they last and perform well.

Angus Young

May 23, 2022
Will depend entirely on your preference, you could go for a softer compound but if your doing miles you'll be replacing them like they're going out of fashion.
I don’t care too much about that. Faster wear generally seems to be the price you pay if you want more go.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I'm no expert but I found that since VZ310 is a 4WD (on demand) car it doesn't really suffer that much from lesser tyres. I'm still on my stock Turanzas but once they get worn down I'll probably move to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. In a FWD car (like a Leon) it is much more obvious as you get lot of wheel spin. Formentor VZ310 you really need to push to get it to struggle with traction.

That being said, I'm not often on the track and your demands may be higher than my own. My advice is to try out the car with the tyres you get and see how it behaves.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
I hear a lot of negative about the Bridgestones as well, don't have much experience with them yet myself. Seems like they prioritized low rolling resistance above much else, which makes a lot of sense for pumping up electric mileage numbers for Hybrids - with noise as a tradeoff.

In my FWD hybrid I do see a lot of wheelspin when flooring it, especially in corners - also in 2nd gear. Considering the F1 Assymetrics for the next round.

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
My standard ones have fantastic grip in all weather conditions, but are a bit noisy on motorways etc. Not sure how tyres will make the steering feel more engaging though, it's because it's all steer-by-wire nowadays. Formentor isn't really an engaging drive, but a great all rounder (when the infotainment isn't glitching).

Angus Young

May 23, 2022
I'm no expert but I found that since VZ310 is a 4WD (on demand) car it doesn't really suffer that much from lesser tyres. I'm still on my stock Turanzas but once they get worn down I'll probably move to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. In a FWD car (like a Leon) it is much more obvious as you get lot of wheel spin. Formentor VZ310 you really need to push to get it to struggle with traction.

That being said, I'm not often on the track and your demands may be higher than my own. My advice is to try out the car with the tyres you get and see how it behaves.
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a Focus and they were great. Can't remember now what they replaced, but it felt like a different car.

Yes, I'll certainly give whatever's on the car a week or two, otherwise there will be nothing to judge against. Beside, it might turn out that I like them.

Last edited:

Angus Young

May 23, 2022
Not sure how tyres will make the steering feel more engaging though, it's because it's all steer-by-wire nowadays.
That's a fair point, you are decoupled by electronic wizardry. But a better controlled sidewall (amongst other things) doesl bring more precision to the whole chain of events.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a Focus and they were great. Can't remember now what they replaced, but it felt like a different car.

Yes, I'll certainly give whatever's on the car a week or two, otherwise there will be nothing to judge against. Beside, it might turn out that I like them.
I feel that you'll see the traction is great due to 4WD so you don't need to rush the change.

SamM2342

Jul 7, 2021
Wexford Ireland
I have been recently transformed from a Michelin man to good year I loved the ps4s but when I put asymmetric 6 Goodyear's newest performance tyre just makes the car feel so much more grounded and nice quite drive...it's fwd Leon cupra I'm trying them on tho

Angus Young

May 23, 2022
I have been recently transformed from a Michelin man to good year I loved the ps4s but when I put asymmetric 6 Goodyear's newest performance tyre just makes the car feel so much more grounded and nice quite drive...it's fwd Leon cupra I'm trying them on tho
Which particular Goodyears did you go for?

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
That’s not the first time I’ve heard that! Lol! Mind you, having said that, various Bridgestones always seem to place well when they do group tests.
I hear that a lot also about the worlds largest tyre manufacture, in some recent tests the Turanza T005 was tested against the likes of the pilot sport 5 and GY assy 6 and it was highly regarded coming 3rd in wet weather tests, its just a shame they didn't test the comparable tyre the Potenza Sport instead, would have shown different result's, so many don't company like for like...

Reactions: Ninjakebab

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
I don't think that Cupra would have marketed a performance car like the VZ with inferior tyres, that would have worked destructively against them!! Bridgestone Turanza T005 are very good tyres, they are not stupid at Cupra, being a performance brand, to fit unsuitable tyres to the car they are introducing themselves with. You may find what generally may be considered a better tyre, that is however quite subjective depending individually on the usage/climate/expectations, but in no way the factory fitted tyres in this case are subpar. Cupra, as most carmakers are choosing tyres that will perform well, handle well, be fuel efficient under most conditions, there is no perfect tyre for all conditions, so you win some you lose some but in no way they are fitting inferior tyres, this would have been like shooting themselves on their foot for a brand that handling and performance is their reference point.