Quick and easy?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I'm fairly new to this car cleaning thing. All my car has ever has is a quick wash with warm water and a sponge (or sometimes those hot brush things at a local garage). I would like a good shiney finish to the car (wax or polish maybe?) that looks great and lasts a while.

So my question is: What can I do after a wash, that's quick and easy and gets a great shiney finish? Is there a one bottle solution to my needs? Whats the best stuff to get (from Halfrauds even)?

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
you'd be better getting either a 3stage kit, and a clay bar, or getting the car detailed, then you can just keep the finish up to scratch.

wash it, buckets and good shampoo. then use a decent was and detail spray

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
To be honest there isnt a product that can make a car which has been cleaned using brushes look really shiney... not in direct sun light anyway.

What you need to do is prep the paint surface using decent wash techniques, clay, then polishing stages to remove the swirl marks and then sealants or waxes to maintain that finish.

If you dont find what you need on the above link have a look on DetailingWorld as well. There are plenty of guides and people in the know on there :thumbup:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Being lazy / time poor, I've adopted a regime which whilst substandard to the detailing brigade seems to keep my car looking passable / repelling dirt.

Once every 6 months I go through the anguish of wash / clay / polish / wax (usually April to clear the worst of winter, then October to prepare for winter).

In between these 6 month overhauls I then wash the car with Meguiars Gold class shampoo and finish off with their NXT detailer in the purple bottle.

Far from the delights of the purist detailer, but to the average person who feels they've done good by washing with Fairy liquid and a brillo pad once a year they think it looks showroom!

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Autoglyms SRP over a period of 3 months every weekend will reduce swirls and scratches, it has a combination of fillers and polymers that do a good job off the shelf,

then go for something like PB nattys paste wax, you can do a full car in roughly 30 mins, wax on wax off,

give it a few months you have a Da polisher and half of faraclas back catalogue, I did ;)

but as already mentioned it really does depend on the situation, what the paintworks actually like in the first place,

does the paintwork feel like sandpaper? also have a look under artificial light to see the swirls, that'll give you a good indication whats needed,

as already mentioned check out detailing world, but dont take any of it as gospel, everyone has different ways and means, non being incorrect, just some more efficient than others, and some with serious OCD

Last edited:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Good advise their chaps. The paintwork feels smooth but it does look swirled in places in bright sunlight!

WASH: fairly easy to do (two bucket method I assume... see I'm learning!)

CLAY: does that get rid of tar, scank and surface protection?

POLISH: does it have to be done with a machine? Is it just to get rid of swirls?

WAX: this I can do I think!

Is it best to stick with one brand of stuff (to make it easier for me) as there seems to be soooooo many products out there?

FR_Flavoured

To keep things simple....wash, polish, wax.

To learn a bit more.....http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/seek-advice.html

Perfect! Thankyou for the link Mashburn. :)

This gives those (like me) that want to be doing the RIGHT THING, when washing and perfecting the finish of my car a great insight. Alot of questions answered just by reading through each guide.

Looking forward to getting out there and putting into practice some of my newly learnt (washing & detailing) knowledge. [B)]

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
FR_Flavoured said:
Perfect! Thankyou for the link Mashburn. :)

This gives those (like me) that want to be doing the RIGHT THING, when washing and perfecting the finish of my car a great insight. Alot of questions answered just by reading through each guide.

Looking forward to getting out there and putting into practice some of my newly learnt (washing & detailing) knowledge.

No problem. That guide really helped me to learn the basics. I'm by no means an expert but I now know enough to make a decent(ish) job of my own car.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
To answer the question directly.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Its an all in one type polish and should meet your needs. For best results clay the car before hand.

Job done.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
To answer the question directly.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Its an all in one type polish and should meet your needs. For best results clay the car before hand.

Job done.

this does produce alot of dust though.
If you use proper microfiber polishing cloths then they do help reduse the dust from autoglym products.

FR_Flavoured

Reading the guides, it specifies to use one of the Polishing Sponges, for the Wax application.

But wont these sponges risk scratching the painted surface if a spot of debris gets underneath (much like not using a Sponge to wash your car for similar reasons)?

And when you apply the wax, should you apply it neat to the sponge, or should the sponge be dampened beforehand?

.........I didnt specifically see the answers to these Q's in the webpages.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Reading the guides, it specifies to use one of the Polishing Sponges, for the Wax application.

But wont these sponges risk scratching the painted surface if a spot of debris gets underneath (much like not using a Sponge to wash your car for similar reasons)?

And when you apply the wax, should you apply it neat to the sponge, or should the sponge be dampened beforehand?

.........I didnt specifically see the answers to these Q's in the webpages.

In theory if you have washed and clayed a car, then it should be smooth and clear of any debris, so any application of polish or wax after should have reduced risk of scratching.

Washing is where the majority swirls happen. No amount good washing technique or expensive sheepskin mitts will stop it alltogether, its all about minimising damage.

Depends if you are using paste or liquid wax. For liquid wax i find a very lightly damp applicator works well, for paste wax use dry applicator.

FR_Flavoured

^ Thankyou for the feedback. Therefore, getting past the Wash with no additional swirls or scratches, and you should be on the home straight when it comes to the Putty and Wax! :D

Karl, what decent Sealer do you recommend, after the wax?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I thought it was seal then wax, as sealants will strip the wax off?

I use Turtle Wax Platinum Gloss Extra, doddle, on, dry, off. Even managed to get my gf's scratched and battered Brava looking shinier than it was after giving it a quick wash last night (should keep her off my back for another few months :lol:)

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
I thought it was seal then wax, as sealants will strip the wax off?

I use Turtle Wax Platinum Gloss Extra, doddle, on, dry, off. Even managed to get my gf's scratched and battered Brava looking shinier than it was after giving it a quick wash last night (should keep her off my back for another few months :lol:)

ideally yes, you want to polish then seal then wax.

there are a bunch of synthetic based sealants now though that can be used in place of a wax. they usually add a more sterile look to the finish where a wax will be more natural and warm to the eye.

if the wax has cured (minimum 24hrs) and by cured i mean post buff off stage, a wax will still cure and harden to the paint for at least 24hrs after being buffed off it is safe to use spray sealants such as DoDo's Red Mist (or Red Mist Tropical) or Zaino Z8 or Finish Kare etc etc.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.