Solar charger

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Anyone know if a solar charger can be plugged into cigar lighter socket to trickle charge battery? Car is 2004 TDI SE. I heard some cars (not necessarily SEAT) have a diode in the circuit that stops this from working.

Any help appreciated.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Does the lighter work with the ignition switch off? I suppose one method to check if it would work is to plug it in and lift the battery cables off the battery and measure the voltage across the +ve and -ve cable contacts. Just make sure you have the radio code beforehand.

Jovin

Feb 18, 2007
Andover
Does the lighter work with the ignition switch off? I suppose one method to check if it would work is to plug it in and lift the battery cables off the battery and measure the voltage across the +ve and -ve cable contacts. Just make sure you have the radio code beforehand.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes the socket is live with the ignition off. I thought the only way to know for sure would be by the method you suggested but was easier to see if anyone else knew first. :)

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Would I be right in thinking that the solar panel would have a diodie in it to stop the battery seeing the lower PD of the solar panel when it isn't charging as it may have a resistance value and be seen as a load by the battery which may cause a leakage of charge when the panel isn't charging. I suppose the manufacturers will have thought of this. If you had the wiring diagram then you'd know for sure if it has an inline diode. Nice we project anyway.