Station Logo Downloader

gRoberts

May 11, 2021
Hey all,

Found that the guides that already exist reference a VW site that no longer works as expected so created my own method of downloading the logos.

Media.info allows you to download each logo one by one but not a bulk download, so I quickly knocked up some code to download them all automagically.

Download Logos

If you want to download them your self, you'll need to be a bit of a techy.

Download Code

To use this, you will need to install Node/NPM.

Once you have downloaded the source, you need to:
  • Extract the code.
  • Create a folder named Logos.
  • Run
    Code:
    node index.js
Once complete, your logos folder should be full of logos.

Note: I've yet to try these logos, so the above may change once I do.

Last edited:

gRoberts

May 11, 2021
I've updated the code and logos to store them in folders based on the first letter of their filename.

When attempting to use it on my MIB2, it only showed up to S.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
Nice work!
If you want to, you could also update the logos database file on the unit. It's an SQLite database that holds all logos, stations and frequencies.

Reactions: Tell and Walone

gRoberts

May 11, 2021
Nice work!
If you want to, you could also update the logos database file on the unit. It's an SQLite database that holds all logos, stations and frequencies.
Cool - do you happen to know if there is any documentation on that?

I can easily populate it accordingly.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
Yes the database does stick after update. Most firmware updates don't have any logo db update.

The rest of your message isn't entirely clear what you mean by that.

Tell

Staff member
It was when the retrofitter put me on 1338 all the radio presets went so you had to restore them. The question was whether on a new firmware update Mib-Tool would repopulate your radio presets or did the retrofitter mess it up. I know I could be being lazy, photograph what I have and then restore them by hand which is what I had to do after 1338 was put on it. Some of the stations you have to be there to tune them in like Irish radio or on the coast picking them up from over the water. Would be nice to just import them in rather than loose them. Destinations and POIs are preserved.

Forward planning to whether I take the leap to 1447 than the 1338 patch I did with Mib Tools.

Hmm reading what you wrote perhaps when I had 1338 put on I kept the presets but lost the graphics ?. Then it's the graphics I want to get back, the finger work press button action or the import... as you can see I've done zero full firmware updates myself.

Simple question then:

1 is it that a firmware update keeps your presets but looses the logos ?

2. is it that you loose both ?

1 or 2 ?

If 2. could Mib Tools port them over or 1. the logos (that's 3 or 4 :))

Tell

Staff member
VW now have shifted logo support to Phonostar with updates:

English:
https://www.phonostar.de/vw/en/download

German:
https://www.phonostar.de/vw/de/download

These provide the built-in ones which cover mib2 and mib3 but are still short of some, where you can use the media.info site for the odd one as far as mib2 is concerned. Had a resource on that:

If the script in post 1 above still works you can also use that on the file or do it on a one off basis as the media.info website provides. The media.info site ones are likely to be more complete than the phonostar ones or use both.

Mib3 users you are still stuffed apart from having the ability to download the latest radio logos for import from the phonostar site. If you don't have connected services, you'd be interested in that file. The release code is shown in the mib3 download so can be compared with what is on the screen in the infotainment unit. You can't correct to my knowledge missing logos.

The phonostar ones i posted here:

You need a VW Vin to access. Kindly provided for the January 2024 ones by MartiniB. Just got to get yourself a VW Vin to progress beyond. You nag phonostar back as a VW owner to get changes where they are missing. Least that seems to be the solution for the time being on the closed system that Mib3 is.

Reactions: Chillout and Walone