Suspension hints and tips?

Cooper_81

Jun 17, 2007
Glasgow
Sorry for gatecrashing yer thread but am bout to purchase AP Coilovers for my LCR, the wheels are on 20mm spacers all round at the moment, is there anything else i need to buy or replace or to prevent any problems??

jamielee

Mar 22, 2011
crawley,west sussex
I just removed the hub with the shock and removed it that way,it's just the 3 lower swivel bolts,track rod end nut and hub nut,caliper off and practically falls out,then put hub in vice to get old shock out and new in.took 1hour for both fronts

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hopefully won't need to do that as don't have a vice...

But can me struggling to get the strut out of the hub as twatting it with a hammer has only moved the drivers side out of the hub two inches... soaking in more WD40 atm.

Is it best to hit the hub with hammer? - finding access limited to swing the hammer! :D

Hammer time... ! :)

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Get a short length of wooden post and use that inbetween the hub carrier and the hammer, save the cast iron from risk of cracking :)

always best to undo the ARB link at the ARB instead of the wishbone, if you snap the top bolt its an easy repair as its a nut/bolt combo, wishbone is captive nut :(

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Get a short length of wooden post and use that inbetween the hub carrier and the hammer, save the cast iron from risk of cracking :)

always best to undo the ARB link at the ARB instead of the wishbone, if you snap the top bolt its an easy repair as its a nut/bolt combo, wishbone is captive nut :(

Thank you sir ... with the wood in place I don't have much space to smack it with my hammer! :lol:

Good thinking ... will do that as the arb/wishbone bolt feels like it will snap if I push it much more ... :rolleyes:

matt88 lcr

May 21, 2011
I undone the arb off both shocks tht helped drop the hub lower to get the shock out as drive shaft won't hit the arb

Matt

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Driver side front back in... There is no gap between top of turret under bonnet ?

I assume this will change once back on its wheels?

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Driver side front back in... There is no gap between top of turret under bonnet ?

I assume this will change once back on its wheels?

At the moment the suspension is hanging from the turret so yep that's fine :)

You'll notice once it is back on the wheels the gap between the turret and the "pie-dish" is much smaller, this is thanks to those lovely new upper mounts you installed.

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Can't get the rear mounts off the shocks! :(

Done mine with mole grips & spanner was tight but did come off in the end,have you given them a soaking in wd40 ?

Found this pic,hope it helps

P1010127.jpg

Last edited:

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
7 hrs work in total... Most of that sorting the drivers side front which is a royal pain in the ass! Passenger side front is easy just time consuming!

As soon as dropped it off stands could tell was lower... I suspect it will drop a bit more once settled. Just hoping did the top mounts up tight enough on front as was not able to torque them correctly and didn't want to smash the new bearings. Confident they are fine though.

It's back on its feet now and still no gap in front mounts... No doubt that will bed in once drive the car!

Will take it for a spin tomorrow to see what it's like!

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Took me & my bro 2 1/2 hrs to fit coilovers to mine,used a rachet strap on front springs.Did you get front struts or was it just shocks & springs for the front ?

35mm is a good drop

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Easier with two people eh? :)

Full shocks and spring kit .... So it's all been done with new mounts, bolts, etc.

It's 35mm over standard Leon... 25mm lower on the LC

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise