Tyre pressure warnings after tyre change

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
Hi all,
Thanks to a nasty pothole in Bournemouth earlier this week, one of my front tyres were damaged. I have replaced with a budget one (as was only one in-stock), but my tyre pressure alarms keeps coming on. I have reset it about 5 times now. But still keeps coming on again.

Any ideas? Could the sensor been damaged?
I have no idea what to do next apart from visiting a dealer, which they will likely say I should buy the same tyre than before, at no doubt at a massive price markup.

Thanks in advance

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
Sensors aren’t in the wheels. Most likely something like a leaking valve, or the tyre not seated perfectly. Was there any damage to the wheel?

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
No wheel damage and pressure is fine. So it's false alerts.

I suspect the different brand of tyre is slightly different size and causing it. But would expect the reset to fix that.

Maybe as it's 4x4 I need to get the exact tyre Model.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
No wheel damage and pressure is fine. So it's false alerts.

I suspect the different brand of tyre is slightly different size and causing it. But would expect the reset to fix that.

Maybe as it's 4x4 I need to get the exact tyre Model.
How worn is the other tyre on the same axle ?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had to replace a tyre on a BMW saloon with 4wd, there were recommendations for tyre wear/tread depth for replacing one or needing to do the axle pair to maintain rotational balance.
If memory serves anything less than 4mm on the remaining tyre meant a pair was required, might be something in the cars handbook?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It is likely to be the difference in diameter between a worn tyre and a new one. You may need to replace the other one as there will be a discrepancy and you will continue to get warnings

Reactions: Jay5959

slapheed

Jun 25, 2022
I had the same issue. while out in the countryside I hit a pothole on a blind bend. RAC came, said he couldn't tow me as its a 4wheel drive and auto. Gave me two options. take the wheel to local garage and get a tyre and get me on my way or wait upto 5hrs for a flatbed. I'd already rang around the tyre company's where i live and none of them could do anything for a few days so I went with the replacement there and then. Cost me £90 for a budget tyre as thats all they had in my size. I've been running with it since. the other tyres had 7months on them so thought i'd run them down and replace the lot, probably an upgrade as reports arent great on the turanza's. Ever since i've had the tyre pressure warning on startup. Pressure is fine tho so assuming its to do with the tyre being a slightly different size causing a discrepancy.

Reactions: TheUkWizard

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
I had the same issue. while out in the countryside I hit a pothole on a blind bend. RAC came, said he couldn't tow me as its a 4wheel drive and auto. Gave me two options. take the wheel to local garage and get a tyre and get me on my way or wait upto 5hrs for a flatbed. I'd already rang around the tyre company's where i live and none of them could do anything for a few days so I went with the replacement there and then. Cost me £90 for a budget tyre as thats all they had in my size. I've been running with it since. the other tyres had 7months on them so thought i'd run them down and replace the lot, probably an upgrade as reports arent great on the turanza's. Ever since i've had the tyre pressure warning on startup. Pressure is fine tho so assuming its to do with the tyre being a slightly different size causing a discrepancy.
Sounds the same then. My car goes back next month as end of lease, so that's annoying as I will now need to fork out £200 on a proper one before then.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Sounds the same then. My car goes back next month as end of lease, so that's annoying as I will now need to fork out £200 on a proper one before then.
One last thing to try ( preferably with a passenger in the car pressing the buttons )
Try resetting the tyre pressure monitor when driving at 30mph
Couple of guys on the golf forums struggled to clear the warning and then tried a moving reset.

Reactions: TheUkWizard
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.