what did you and your mk3 leon do today

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Couple of updates today!

My replacement turbo inlet pipe arrived from Darkside Developments, to replace the OEM pipe which had split on one of the joints (causing the MAF sensor to chuck the car into limp mode).

Installation was ridiculously easy - undo the clamp holding the OEM elbow to the MAF housing, undo the MAF sensor and remove vacuum pipe from the stock airbox, and simply pull the airbox out. Then with space now free to work in, undo the jubilee clip holding the OEM elbow to the turbo inlet (7mm socket if anyone ever reads this) - it then comes straight off

Knackered old OEM elbow:

IMG_4390.jpeg

Then in with the new silicone elbow! Quality is absolutely spot on, thicker than standard plastic yet flexible enough to make installing the airbox back into place an absolute doddle. Also significantly larger internal diameter, and smooth all the way through - I feel like this should automatically add a gazillion extra horsepower, but it certainly can’t hurt 😂

Added bonus is it looks awesome in situ as well. All tightened up and no more boost issues!

IMG_4389 (1).jpeg

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Part two - whilst I’d got the airbox out I took the opportunity to finally get around to removing the stock air duct, and doing the ‘pikey r600’ mod.

Is this necessary for diesels? No probably not. Did I want to do it anyway? Yes. Yes I did.

So out came the duct, and I took a dremel to it. End result turned out pretty nicely - sanded the cut edges back with a rasp, deburred with a sharp chisel. No feels completely smooth with absolutely no loose plastic or rough edges. I might paint it at some point just to hide the sanding marks, but that’s just OCD given it’s completely hidden when installed

Opened up

IMG_4384.jpeg

Airbox and engine bay no longer have to fight over cold air:

IMG_4385.jpeg

Between this and the silicone elbow, I’m now enjoying a small amount of extra turbo noise and a faintly audible (and satisfyingly childish) induction whoosh 😎🤣

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Did the 6-year service on the Leon. All went smoothly, with a nice bonus that
I was able to remove the oil filter by hand, without having to resort to any of
my selection of 'removal' tools - offering 3 levels of butchery/desperation:LOL:

This time the service included swapping tyres from front-back to even-out the
wear rates - but damn those SEAT 17" wheels seemed heavy. Although it's true
enough I'm getting older, I checked on the bathroom scales and they came-in
at 19.8 Kg! At least it made me feel smug that my Golf's current 16" x 7" Bini
Revolite combo weigh 4.6 Kg less each wheel...

Reactions: H Rafiq

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
I managed to buckle a wheel and crack another. Just got PS5s on the rear and planned to get them on the front too. Garage didn’t have 5s and couldn’t get them, so had to go with 4s on the front. Even with £80 off I’m a bit bummed out.

Oh, and the £1000 for 4 new wheels isn’t great either!!

• Wow
Reactions: tracktoy

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I updated my Radio Station Database today, from 1.10.10 to 1.10.48.
I'm wondering why this needs to be done, surely the radio will search for all stations that are available?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I'm wondering why this needs to be done, surely the radio will search for all stations that are available?

This database keeps station logos, to be shown in the infotainment unit.
The new version should have newly added or changed logos.
Sorry if you already knew and I misunderstood your post.

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Hi.... how did you do this, please?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
This database keeps station logos, to be shown in the infotainment unit.
The new version should have newly added or changed logos.
Sorry if you already knew and I misunderstood your post.
I did kind of think that, but the Logos have not appeared on my station presets, I know I can manually update them from files stored on an SD card but it's a bit of a faff.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
I did kind of think that, but the Logos have not appeared on my station presets, I know I can manually update them from files stored on an SD card but it's a bit of a faff.

Did you ever try to push & hold on a station preset button for a couple of seconds?
That should bring the related logo in place.

• Wow
Reactions: Walone

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Ordered new Track Specific Mintex Pads (Mintex F4R Pads not for road use) and some Ferodo DS Performance – Mono 6 for daily drive use as the Mintex pads I was using for the road have now been discontinued which is a shame as they were much better than the Ferodo but the adverts do say they (Ferodo) have a new compound so will have to see how they last/cope compared to the old DS2500 (Which on the track worked well but did not last long at all)

While I was at it I also ordered a pair of Racingline Adjustable Camber Rear Control Arms - VAG MQB so that I can adjust the rear camber to match the front setup and it will also give me the ability to change the setup easily once i have been out on the track with the new setup.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

Holdup

Aug 28, 2009
Kent
Bought a braking upgrade, new calipers with Mintex MRM1801 pads, made a start on sound deadening under the rear seat and in the boot, still got some bits to finish off, missis has driven the car on the motorway and she noticed the difference 😮 even commented the music sounds better, normally she cant hear the difference in anything

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpeg
    IMG_9839.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9796.jpeg
    IMG_9796.jpeg
    917.1 KB · Views: 47

TrivialT

Mar 9, 2021
Changed the 3 cheap glow plugs today. No issues, used some penetrating oil yesterday and today, and got her warm before going to work. Can anyone recommend the best place to get hold of the glow plug with the pressure sensor, I believe the part no is 03L905061K. Also not sure how important it is to match the last letter, seems to be many variants. Any advice welcome.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Changed the 3 cheap glow plugs today. No issues, used some penetrating oil yesterday and today, and got her warm before going to work. Can anyone recommend the best place to get hold of the glow plug with the pressure sensor, I believe the part no is 03L905061K. Also not sure how important it is to match the last letter, seems to be many variants. Any advice welcome.
The last letter indicates a revised part, the later the later the later the revision, so the latest one would be best, but all should fit.
As for where to get it, i would shop around reputable vendors (gsf, eurocarparts,main dealer etc) to see who has it the cheapest. Avoid ebay/amazon etc as they will be some cheap chinese crap.