What to look out for? 2.0Tdi Sport

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Hi All,

Going to take a look at an altea 05 2.0Tdi SPORT at the weekend, 30,000 miles on the clock.

I'm sure i'll be happy with the car and will buy but is there any niggles I should be aware of.

Thanks.

Gilrick

Nov 26, 2003
East Yorkshire
Visit site
Hi All,

Going to take a look at an altea 05 2.0Tdi SPORT at the weekend, 30,000 miles on the clock.

I'm sure i'll be happy with the car and will buy but is there any niggles I should be aware of.

Thanks.

Check tyre wear, mine has needed a 4 wheel alignment due to wearing on the inside edges. Also check it's been in for a twin mass flywheel recall.

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
Hi All,

Thanks.

Delaminated Front Windscreen(white around edge at bottom on mine).
Twin Mass Flywheel Recall.
Fuel Pump Recall.
Wheel Allignment.
Torn Seals Around Door Windows.
Faulty Bonnet catch that stops windscreen wipers working correctly.
Blocked Water Washer.
Cracked spot lights.
Lumbar Support not fitted to driver seat, but fitted to passenger seat
Windscreen Wipers not clearing window(these are very expensive to replace).

But i still like the Altea now these have been sorted.

Tab

Tell

Staff member
We haven't mentioned the fungal infection under the hood recently, probably too much close contact with other lesser cars ;). Mean the fungus that grows on the bonnet liner. I've got it but not as bad as other people. Think the fine air of London helps in prohibiting this.

Tell

Staff member
It comes off in your hand, the fungas. It's the guy that lives in Scotland that had it much worse than I do, where the air is clean. There are a number of owners who have it as well. Perhaps we should have a show of hands as to who has had it and who got it replaced. It doesn't worry me but I'll check it before the next service. When it was first reported my car didn't have the problem. The issue is if it rots the bonnet liner. It doesn't look pretty.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Bonnet liner 'fungus' - you learn something every day, I've noticed white discoloration but didn't think much about it, now i know what it is !, it's just there not seeming to do much, anybody had real problems with it ?

Tell

Staff member
There was a thread about it about six months back. Some people got theirs changed under warranty. Not too sure whether it re-occured ?. Perhaps they may post. Evidently that bit under the bonnet close towards the windscreen, in the liner, that's where mine is, is humid, damp and just right.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Thanks for the replies, really helpfull.

The reason im buying an altea is I find the rear space in the Leon fairly cramped for my two kids, one is in a baby seat the other on a booster seat. Will the rear of the altea be better, I really like the shape of the altea I'm not that mad about the toledo TBH and want to stick with SEAT as i've had a good experience owning my leon.

Also overall is it a good car, and is everone happy with ownership.

Tell

Staff member
There is masses of leg room in the rear of the Altea and the seating is as good as the front. It's sort of theatre racked design or appears to be, so they will be able to party in there. You can't fail the Altea for for seating comfort and that's on the sport.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Update

Had a look at the weekend, have to say im very impressed with the build, im not that gone on the centre console, and will miss being able to play Mp3s etc, is it possible to upgrade and keep the steering wheels controls, overall its a stunner.

A couple of niggles - the airbag light was on, this was due to the car needing a jump start to get it going, I thought that was fairly strange. The BBS wheel on the rear passanger side had a few curb marks, the twin chrome tail pipe at the back is black, is this normal on a car with 30,000 miles.?

other than that its in excellent condition.

Tell

Staff member
I'm not too sure whether you couldn't put an external deck in it [changer] that played MP3s. If Sony made one since Sony stuff connects through the headend via a convertion box. Perhaps if Paul of Altea???? is reading, other than that you can't change the headend to MP3. I'm talking playing CDs with MP3 on them, you can connect up IPods and MP3 players again via a connection box.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Delaminated Front Windscreen(white around edge at bottom on mine).
Twin Mass Flywheel Recall.
Fuel Pump Recall.
Wheel Allignment.
Torn Seals Around Door Windows.
Faulty Bonnet catch that stops windscreen wipers working correctly.
Blocked Water Washer.
Cracked spot lights.
Lumbar Support not fitted to driver seat, but fitted to passenger seat
Windscreen Wipers not clearing window(these are very expensive to replace).

But i still like the Altea now these have been sorted.

Tab

Im interested to know more about the twin mass flywheel and the fuel pump recalls, is there a reference number that SEAT use for these. any links around with more information.

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
Im interested to know more about the twin mass flywheel and the fuel pump recalls, is there a reference number that SEAT use for these. any links around with more information.

Just phone a Seat dealer up & ask if the car has been or needs to be recalled. Give them the car registration.

Tab

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Picked it up on friday afternoon, and delighted with it. Plenty of power for me. The kids love it.

Just a quick question as im not used to driving a diesel, whats the best way to achive the highest MPG on the 2.0 Tdi. what I've been doing so far is getting up to cruise speed (60 mph) and sticking it into 6th gear and putting on the cruise cntl. Is this the best way.

Tell

Staff member
When you find out tell us - LOL.

Well you limit fast acceleration and braking. You change up as soon as possible and keep the revs down, unlike petrol where you high rev, diesel can shug allong at lower revs.

Speed is a key feature as well, obviously. The bottom line is whether you are driving for enjoyment on consumption or fun on handling and speed. I don't throw mine around at slow urban driving you only throw out polution, open road more fun.

Cruise control, yes use that to lock speed in 30 / 40 mph areas as others do here, but not on open road. Most people are a bit disappointed with the MPG that you get out of the TDI, reckon on the urban cycle being you're real figure for non urban driving.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.