Where is the Best place to position Axle Stands on LC

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Hi all, does any one have a picture they can show me that shows the bottom of a Leon Cupra 2003 to where is the Best place to position Axle Stands?
As im looking to do some work on my front disks this Friday and just wanted to check :happy:

Is it OK on the wishbone?

Cheers

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
either on the rear subframe bolt.. the big one you can see or on the rails that run down the sides under the car....

rear subframe bolt, Kwl cheers for that.
Was mainly wondering if some one had a picture with it highlighted as i found on another forum but on an Alfa.

Still Thanks for your help mate :)

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
none, use bricks and wood, one of my axel stands bent the other week and the car slipped a few inches, luckily i wasn't under her at the time.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
rear subframe bolt, Kwl cheers for that.
Was mainly wondering if some one had a picture with it highlighted as i found on another forum but on an Alfa.

Still Thanks for your help mate :)

not being an arse, but if you cant find the rear subframe bolt then should you be changing the brakes at all... as i said, not being a nob but......:p

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
never had that happen...i wouldnt trust brick more than decent quality axle stands at all...

2 bricks and some 2x4 have never failed me, i would 100% trust them getting under the car, unlike these buggers rated at 2 ton.

IMG00067-20100223-2029.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Looks like that axle stand wasn't used right.....

Wouldn't trust bricks or wood though

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Bricks explode under pressure...:blink:

Only if pressure is applied to once small area in a voilent colission, most bricks can take about 1000psi.

2 concrete blocks(8x8x16) stacked on each other and 2x4 on top to stop the concrete damaging the car, placed in a good spot under the car to spread the weight will never fail unless your car weights a hell of a lot.

It won't slide off it either.

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
2 bricks and some 2x4 have never failed me, i would 100% trust them getting under the car, unlike these buggers rated at 2 ton.

IMG00067-20100223-2029.jpg

The metal at the top looks a bit thin on your Axle stand?
I have gone for a pair of 3-toners that are nice and chunky :)
020110003.jpg

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
looking at those youll struggle with the subframe bolt mate, unless you use some thick wood to make it flat... ive got same as the ones that broke, different brant with flat top and work perfect every time for me...

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
looking at those youll struggle with the subframe bolt mate, unless you use some thick wood to make it flat... ive got same as the ones that broke, different brant with flat top and work perfect every time for me...

Its going to be a fun day! Oh well i will find out in a few hours when i start working on it.... will keep you posted.

Cheers

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
not being an arse, but if you cant find the rear subframe bolt then should you be changing the brakes at all... as i said, not being a nob but......:p

meh not sure I agree with that. I couldn't point out rear subframe bolt but that doesn't mean once I've been shown I wouldn't be capable of upgrading my brakes.

If everyone thought like that then surely nooone would ever know anything?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
meh not sure I agree with that. I couldn't point out rear subframe bolt but that doesn't mean once I've been shown I wouldn't be capable of upgrading my brakes.

If everyone thought like that then surely nooone would ever know anything?

not saying hes not capable, but brakes are a slightly important part of the car, and if someone said to me they were doing my brakes but wheres the subframe bolt then id be wary, but as i said doesnt mean hes not capable......:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members