Jul 24, 2006
ilson
anyone no the number of cupra,s that have now been sold in the uk
only seen 3 since last august on moto ways:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Raffles

Jul 17, 2007
Staffordshire
Dont know how many cupras have been sold but from March 2007 till Feb 2008 the top 6 selling 'Hot Hatch' vehicles were:-

1. Honda Civic Type R 5192
2. Ford Focus ST 4778
3. Astra VXR 2008
4. Golf GTI 1984
5. Seat Ibiza Sport/ FR / Cupra 1484
6. Megane 225 / Cup/ R26 1033

These were quoted in Performance Tuner Magazine issue 15. Personally a Mark 2 Cupra is a rare sight but I have seen plenty of FR models.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
How come I've seen loads of Cupras I wonder?

I've seen definately 4 on the road, plus mine. Maybe more as I've seen a black one 2 or 3 times locally to me but it may have been the same one.

I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that is was about a 1000 a year they were building, but not convinced that is true.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
You got a bear in mind there are plenty of Cupra look FRs knockin' around.
FR drivers who only have to change the colour of mirror covers and paint the front valance!
I've seen at least 3 of this type.

From a distance it's a Cupra! NOT

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
FR drivers who only have to change the colour of mirror covers and paint the front valance!

Of the ones of seen, 3 were definately Cupras going off the badge and exhaust.

One was at a distance when I was on the train, it was in the station car park (a yellow one somewhere in Wales) so I was just going off the wheels and wing mirrors.

They don't seem as rare as other Cupras in the past. Every dealer seems to have one in as a demo whenever you ring. I fancied an Ibizia Cupra in 2001 and went to the local dealer. They implied they were that rare that they never had them in as a demo, and as soon as a 2nd hand one came in it was sold. They could order me one, but I'd basically have to buy a car without ever driving that model.

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
They are rare trust me, I drive for a living, pounding the highways ten hours per day and I've only seen a handful.
Having one on order, I'm looking out for them all the time. I've got a great view also of the opposite carriageway!!

Now my last set of Wheels; Nissan Navara Aventura, now they are every other car!

I reckon you're likely to see them at dealers don't you?

H8T WP

since my ownwer ship i have seen ZERO on the road... only pummy and irfan from here but they dont count...

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton

Not trying to make my FR look like a Cupra - just wanted rid of those gay looking silver wing mirrors! ;) As for painting the valance - I wouldn't bother...

I've only seen one Cupra and I think that was being driven by a dealer...

They are quite rare, but so is the Leon in general.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
The rarer the better as far as I'm concerned.

Just the number of times I've been interested in a car and they haven't had one in stock let alone on demo, whereas dealers always seem to have a Cupra on demo.

It's in the space of almost a year that I've seen 4 to be honest in that time I've seen as many Lamborghinis on the road (including the bloke who seemed to want to race me at the weekend).

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Of course I realise this thread was started by a Cupra owner so that you can all have a group hug... ;)

But for a car that is now coming up to its 3rd birthday, the whole range is rare on the roads. Its a rare occurance if I pass one... Compare that with the the Golf / Focus / Civic / Astra...

If the masses find out just how good the Leon is I'll have to sell mine...

Last edited:

phil_monk

Aug 19, 2007
there rare because most people includeing me think there over priced.

Also I just brought black covers for my wing mirrors, not becasue I want it to look like a Cupra but because the silver looks so out of place on a Black Magic car :(

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I agree with the silver wing mirrors on the FR, they should come as black or body colour really.

I think the Cupra is an expensive jump from the FR price wise, but comparable with the competition.

Not looked at the exact prices recently but a Golf GTi or a Focus ST3 would cost you more. I imagine an Astra VXR is about the same price, and I'm sure my mate has just paid about the same for a Civic Type R GT.

The price of optional extras is very reasonable too.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I must be the only one who prefers the silver wing mirrors on the FR to the black Cupra ones. If I had to change I'd get body coloured ones but definately not the chrome ones.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Loads of FR's now creeping around. Even seeing the Mk1 Cupra R's was rare. Rare is good, puts you outside of any prejudiced viewpoints of your driving. Also means that when you are out and about, you always get the meercat responses from onlookers.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.