Fuel pump upgrade - when?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
It has been said that the LCR and LC pump have the same part number on here before but I dont know if its right. LCR pump is good for 350bhp from what I heard, Jabba dont change the LCR pump when going IHI. Mine never leaned out on my IHI but that was with a 3bar fpr and 4bar might stretch it more. I still have the bosch 044 pump that I got incase the LCR pump wasnt enough but it wasnt needed so its still sitting in its box in the garage.

GT28rs with 64 housing was only a few hundred rpms slower to spool than my vf34. It produced more torque aswell which gave a bigger shove. Both held the power similarly. From what I hear either would be better than gt2x in terms of spool and power. Big change if you are already on a full gt2x set up but it would be worth it in the long run imo. GT2871 is again slower spool but slightly more power. Really depends what you want from the car.

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Do you know if the LCR and Cupra run the same pump. I'm around the 300 bhp mark should i be concerned.

I did not think it was the same pump in the LCR as in the IC, as i thought some people had been fitting a stock LCR (think the S3 pump is the same spec) pump in place if the stock IC as an upgrade when running K03s hybrid ect, however i may be incorect :confused:

Either way if you are at 300BHP, i would not be happy just running the stock pump as they have been showen to be a weak point when pushed hard and age takes a toll on them to.

Edit: just looking at what pj put and thought you are prob talking LC not IC, never mind some usless information for you anyway, lol.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I believe the LC and LCR run different fuel pumps from what I've learned, the LCR pump is rated to around 370bhp, the LC pump is only good for around 320-odd bhp. My stock in-tank pump is now 8 years old so I am changing it to the uprated APR pump for peace of mind.

Hybrid GT2X has full spool by 3500rpm.

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
I believe the LC and LCR run different fuel pumps from what I've learned, the LCR pump is rated to around 370bhp, the LC pump is only good for around 320-odd bhp. My stock in-tank pump is now 8 years old so I am changing it to the uprated APR pump for peace of mind.

The LCR one is 4bar Isn't it?
3500rpm is very impressive for a Gt2x i got mine down to 3750rpm with alot of tweaking ect...How much is the APR one rob?as im uprating my Intake one next month so il have Walbro and uprated Intake one...

PJ: What was you seeing Full boost by on you vf34? i had a choice between a 22 Or 34 but it seems the Vf23 spools up few hundred quicker than both of them.But sadly doesnt have the High figures of the 22 & 34...
I do supose the p20 housing helps it out but not much mind...

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I did not think it was the same pump in the LCR as in the IC, as i thought some people had been fitting a stock LCR (think the S3 pump is the same spec) pump in place if the stock IC as an upgrade when running K03s hybrid ect, however i may be incorect :confused:

Either way if you are at 300BHP, i would not be happy just running the stock pump as they have been showen to be a weak point when pushed hard and age takes a toll on them to.

Edit: just looking at what pj put and thought you are prob talking LC not IC, never mind some usless information for you anyway, lol.

Yeah, LC is 3-BAR and LCR is 4-BAR I think.

VAGCat gives
(3) 8L0919051H fuel delivery unit and fuel gauge sender
VDO / fr.wheeldrv: AUQ,AMK

I was under the impression that the output of the pumps was a fair bit higher than 3 or 4 bar but was limited on delivery to the rail by the FPR.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
I see on ebay there is an Impreza P1 IHI VF28 turbo for sale just now! I've never really thought about going IHI.

Personally Id go for the Td series if i do ever change again:lol:...

As they use the same flange pattern as you know so you can just upgrade at a later date..Like Bill says the IHI are really nice turbos at Spooling and holding power.but can be very brittle with High EGT & overspooling...

Id be happy with 310-325 from the Vf23/p20 with a fast spool so make up for it...Then what ever methanol can add..

Ive sent issam a message about the a uprate fuel pump...See what he comes up with..

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Full boost on my vf34 by about 3200rpm. I thought the same DPJ. Though the LCR pump was about 5bar but I cant remember why or how I thought this.

TD series of IHI is better than vf as they are rebuildable and also can take more hammering it seems. If you knew you might want more in the future I wouldnt go IHI flange fitment, especially underslung as you are limited by space and heat becomes a bigger issue, might not be so bad on a LC but still top mount would be better. Also the GT range of turbos are better for higher power and delivery imo once you go past the 400bhp stage and produce the 330bhp+ power more reliably. I loved my IHI and was never going to change it for more power than that 300-350bhp band so it was a good option for a one off build and I still think the IHI is, but if there was a remote chance I might have wanted more than 350bhp at any time in the future I would have gone for a GT unit.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I think the pumps are rated much higher internally, all I know is the LCR one is rated alot higher than the LC one and the uprated APR pump is a modified version of the LCR pump and is good for around 400bhp at the crank.

I am seriously thinking of going GT28RS this winter I think, don't think I'd go IHI. I'll know more once I find out what power I'm making just now on the hybrid GT2X and WMI.

Last edited:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Full boost on my vf34 by about 3200rpm. I thought the same DPJ. Though the LCR pump was about 5bar but I cant remember why or how I thought this.

TD series of IHI is better than vf as they are rebuildable and also can take more hammering it seems. If you knew you might want more in the future I wouldnt go IHI flange fitment, especially underslung as you are limited by space and heat becomes a bigger issue, might not be so bad on a LC but still top mount would be better. Also the GT range of turbos are better for higher power and delivery imo once you go past the 400bhp stage and produce the 330bhp+ power more reliably. I loved my IHI and was never going to change it for more power than that 300-350bhp band so it was a good option for a one off build and I still think the IHI is, but if there was a remote chance I might have wanted more than 350bhp at any time in the future I would have gone for a GT unit.

Full Boost at 3200rpm is very good specially on a BT setup....least i know a bench mark on what full Boost my Vf23 Should make or around that RPM range..What Bar/psi was you holding and hit pj?

I think the pumps are rated much higher internally, all I know is the LCR one is rated alot higher than the LC one and the uprated APR pump is a modified version of the LCR pump and is good for around 400bhp at the crank.

I am seriously thinking of going GT28RS this winter I think, don't think I'd go IHI. I'll know more once I find out what power I'm making just now on the hybrid GT2X and WMI.

So looking at the Gt28 is on full boost around 3.8rpm? which isnt that bad tbh...Im gonna see what Issam Says about the fuel pump..I could defo do with gettin a better intake one for peice of mind tbh...
Seems many BT people favour the APR Pump plus it isnt that expensive new either....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
what you need to get to confirm these pump outputs is their delivery curve like you can get for 044's walbro's etc, as its a big fall off in delivert flow with increased pressure... so 4bar is'nt pump, its whatever you regulate it to... so if youi want more flow, size appropriate injectors and stick to 3bar fuel pressure.. the pump will pump more.. as opposed try to get more out of an undersize injector which is what adding 4bar fpr is about.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
what you need to get to confirm these pump outputs is their delivery curve like you can get for 044's walbro's etc, as its a big fall off in delivert flow with increased pressure... so 4bar is'nt pump, its whatever you regulate it to... so if youi want more flow, size appropriate injectors and stick to 3bar fuel pressure.. the pump will pump more.. as opposed try to get more out of an undersize injector which is what adding 4bar fpr is about.

^^^ What Bill says. :yes:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com

Arr Very interesting that is bill..

Learn something new every day..

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales

The Master. :worship:

jamiebennett81

with the APR one, is it just a case of unbolting the original OE one and bolting in the new one?

any point with a hybrid KKK turbo?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.