Vacuum Leak

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
Hi,

I've got the following

Rough Engine Idle + Engine Hesitation

Does any one know of a garage in the South East that can test for a leak for me please?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Try all the connections on bottom of manifold, there are 2 small hoses which are prone to splitting, a bigger one for PCV system in middle, check all oil breather hoses, and check the servo vac hose on the opposit side to TB.

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
I had a look and a qiuck feel but can not see or feel anything.

Though the manifold was the last mod to have been done before this boost problem happened.

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
Have you a boost gauge and what is reading on tick over?

No boost gauge

On start up it's between 1000 - 2000 revs

Then it settles down to 1000 then drops and picks up again to 1000.

The engine hesitation is only bad in 1st and 2nd anything above that then you hardly notice.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
hi mate,

i couldnt feel or hear anything on mine either, although it didnt idle as badly as yours.

my old man took the covers off and had a look and found one of the pipes had a split so taped it up.

vagcome said lean mixture when i did the fault codes.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
You may want to try spraying brake/carb cleaner arround where you think there is a leak, if there is one the engine speed/note will change, Spray it round the throttle body where it meets the manifold, and arround under the inlet to elimnate leaking vac pipes, Check throttle body hose for splits/cracks. Brake servo hoses on side of manifold are also prone to failing. It will be helpfill if you remove the cover at the fron of the inlet too.

SERVO_HOSE_1.jpg

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
what maf did you replace it with.. genuine oe bosch?

what induction you running?

checked the tip, is the tip oem or uprated?

MAF was Bosch every time from my VW dealer I marked each one to make sure it was new every time.

Green cone induction I change it from K&N after changing MAF

Tip is Samco but in perfect condition from what I can see.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.