Tyre sizes

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Ok I'm getting fed up with the banging and crashing everytime I hit a tiny flaw in our oh so perfect roads, so with me about to be replacing 4 tyres, I'm thinking of changing the size.

Does anyone have any experience with a 215/40/17, or a 205/45/17 over the standard 205/40?

I was going to try the 215/40 this time (extra 4mm) and if that doesnt help, go to the 205/45 next time (extra 10.25mm) but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions first

ibiza_adam

Jun 25, 2009
To be honest mate, I don't think going for a width of 215 would make any diff! Possibly going to a profile of 45 would make a slight diff :shrug: Just having a look on the net, Google etc and will post anything I find! :clap:

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I'm using 215/40/17 and the ride quality is the same. I put them on to help protect the wheels from kerbing and it helps.
As for 205/45 I don't know, I would imagine they are better but don't think they will make a big improvement. You need to check to see if the larger rolling diameter will not interfere with anything. The speed difference is 3.44% with 45 profile so that should be fine for your speedo accuracy.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
205/45/17 tyres at the front will probably scrub on full lock even on standard suspension.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Yeah, don't use 45 profile with 17" wheels. You will get scrubbing issues and it will alter the accuracy of your speedo. Go down to 16" wheels, then you can use a 45 profile tyre for added comfort!

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
The hard ride is a bloody pain with 17's but I guess I'll just have to put up with it.

Does this affect the wear on the suspension/shocks at all more so than on other cars, as I have quite a few speed humps where I commute and it always worries me it's taking a battering unless I do 1mph over them!?

Trappy

Joe,

(Sorry if I'm beginning to look like a stalker on here :p but I might be able to help)

How far out is your speedo when you compare to the sat nag? Would you say a % (like5% for example), a fixed mph (say 5mph) or a combination of the two?

I ask because if your speedo over-reads, then you might be able to use a slightly higher sideway (profile) to soften the ride and still keep an overeading speedo (or even make it accurate). This is assuming it's a % out. Consider it 'correcting' the speedo with the benefit of a smoother ride. :)

brush.

I'm using 215/40/17 and the ride quality is the same.

What did you have before? 195? 205? Do you notice better handling with the 215? I've got 195 but am thinking of going wider.

You know you can actually get 215/50/R15. Might give better cornering while not compromising on comfort?

brush.

True. Seems like maybe 17" wheels are just a bit too big for the Ibiza in terms of ride comfort :confused:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
True. Seems like maybe 17" wheels are just a bit too big for the Ibiza in terms of ride comfort :confused:

No doubt about it, 17" wheels combined with the harsh suspension, dont make for the comfiest ride.

But since its a cupra, thats the way it came, and due to the brakes, thats the way it'll be staying, theres not a lot I can do about that.

Trappy

Bigger tyres won't improve grip. You simply can't change the contact patch without reducing tyre pressure or increasing the weight on the tyre. Even changing wheels won't make a difference.

Switching to a wider and low profiled tyre will improve turn in response however, because the tyre wall is stiffer and more resistant to compression in corners. It will have an adverse effect on ride comfort will also reduce handling 'feel' making it harder to judge the break-away point.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
215/40 17 definately the way to go on standard 17"s...you can mount kerbs without scuffing, and not so crashy going over humps and potholes. the extra bit of lip seems to cushion the alloy a tad better and doesn't wheelspin as much but probably due to me changing to a softer compound tyre

but as for comfort not much difference, as mentioned above, go to 16's for comfort but stay with 17's for performance. low profile gives better turn response

Last edited:

s10mph

VAG car nut
Mar 1, 2008
Thundersley
Lowering the tyre pressures a few pounds will give a more comfortable ride then if you are going on a track day pump just them up again, saves on tyre changing.

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
also different tyre can affect ride. my wheels are the 205/45/16, I used to have Yokahama A520 (near semi-slick track tyres) the road noise was terrible, ride was very hard and unforgiving. Switched to Toyo T1R and these are much better, lots less road noise, less noise over rough tarmac and better ride. That was till i got my front cupra bushes fitted. lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.