Removing the steering wheel badge?

Lallen82

ok my S on my steering wheel is all marked up i would like to change it but no one knows how too do i just pull it off and hope airbag doesnt go off in my face ???

dh00001

Aug 11, 2009
it comes off with a lot of pulling, its glued on and then has a pin type thing on the back that hold its on.
Got mine off with two screwdrivers and alot of swearing, air back didnt go off either

Lallen82

so just to be clear im pulling off the inner badge which is the S the outer black ring i leave that on ?

mikeholroyd

You lot are braver than me, playing with screwdrivers and brute force!

That's not a steering wheel centre, it's an AIRBAG, and not meant to be modified in any way!

I've worked extensively with both police and fire services in the last few years, and have set up demonstrations of airbags deploying. They are extremely dangerous things to be playing about with, and are not toys. Anything "stuck" to the cover, including the badge, from the factory will have been done with special adhesive and usually fasteners as well , and probably in a specific way -- if you replace the badge, and don't get it attached as it should be, worst case scenario is that it will become a 200mph projectile when the airbag deploys, and could quite easily seriously injure or even maim you.

One experiment we set up was an airbag with a St. Christopher superglued to the airbag cover. When the airbag deployed, the St Christopher was found 65 feet away from the airbag! That's over 4 cars lengths away! Imagine your face being in the way of that!

PLEASE think very carefully before even attempting to change or alter anything with the airbag! Trust me, they are not pleasant things to go off in your face.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ruhel™

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
You lot are braver than me, playing with screwdrivers and brute force!

That's not a steering wheel centre, it's an AIRBAG, and not meant to be modified in any way!

I've worked extensively with both police and fire services in the last few years, and have set up demonstrations of airbags deploying. They are extremely dangerous things to be playing about with, and are not toys. Anything "stuck" to the cover, including the badge, from the factory will have been done with special adhesive and usually fasteners as well , and probably in a specific way -- if you replace the badge, and don't get it attached as it should be, worst case scenario is that it will become a 200mph projectile when the airbag deploys, and could quite easily seriously injure or even maim you.

One experiment we set up was an airbag with a St. Christopher superglued to the airbag cover. When the airbag deployed, the St Christopher was found 65 feet away from the airbag! That's over 4 cars lengths away! Imagine your face being in the way of that!

PLEASE think very carefully before even attempting to change or alter anything with the airbag! Trust me, they are not pleasant things to go off in your face.

Mike

yea theres sensible pulling and going at it stupid if you do things rite it wont come back and bite you in the ass??.

mikeholroyd

yea theres sensible pulling and going at it stupid if you do things rite it wont come back and bite you in the ass??.

Like I said, it's not just the pulling the badge off that's the problem. When you replace the badge, it may look securely stuck to the wheel, but there's a very real danger it isn't, and could extremely dangerous as in above post
There's no such thing as "doing it right" when playing around with airbags

Mike

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that if a garage holds two or more airbags on site they have to have a firearms licence? To me it sounds like rubbish, but then again I wouldn't put anything past health and safety!

As for the steering wheel 'S', if mine was scratched up I'd be tempted to get some carbon fibre vinyl and cover it, similar to what a few people are doing to their external badges now.

mikeholroyd

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that if a garage holds two or more airbags on site they have to have a firearms licence? To me it sounds like rubbish, but then again I wouldn't put anything past health and safety!

As for the steering wheel 'S', if mine was scratched up I'd be tempted to get some carbon fibre vinyl and cover it, similar to what a few people are doing to their external badges now.

It's not so much a "firearms" licence that's needed, but anyone in a garage doing any form of work on airbag or seat belt pretensioner systems must be properly qualified to do so.

Technically, the back street garage isn't even now allowed to change indicator/wiper stalks if that involves removing the steering wheel (and so the airbags)

Mike

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
There's no such thing as "doing it right" when playing around with airbags
course there is ive had mine off 3 times so if you do it right you will make it go off??????.
commen sense is a word that comes to mind here.
its like playing with fire it will burn you 1 day.
it will take more than a badge to sett it off imo.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.