MOT Fail - What a joke!

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
Hi Guys, wanted to share my frustration!

Took my 05 plate LCR in to get its MOT today - came back failed on these things:
* Side lights are the wrong colour
* Rear indicators are "white"
* Broken rear coil spring
* No rubber on the brake pedal - can cause my foot to slip off whilst braking

Seriously?!
* My "sidelights" are LED white light conversions, that seen on the Audi's etc.. a perfectly fine sidelight.
* Rear indicator bulbs - are the standard ones, the same ones I have had on the car since owning it 2 years ago! I havnt even changed them!
* Broken rear coil spring - well I havnt heard anything wrong whilst driving or conering, nothing that would suggest a broken suspension spring
* and this one makes me laugh the most! "lack of sufficient anti slip on the brake pedal" what a joke!

The worst thing is I took it to my GF's brothers garage in hope that they would be able to help me out but actually they have F**ked me up even worse!

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
indicators can turn White, the orange film can peel off, even if they're slightly white it can be declared defective. tbh the only thing that's arguable is the sidelights (unless they're blue). MOT rules are more restrictive now.

I've seen many broken springs that don't effect the cars handling too much and don't knock.

Last edited:

jamielee

Mar 22, 2011
crawley,west sussex
The brake pedal rubber is a failure as told to me when I went on my mot refresher course saying that people miss it even tho it is a failure

Sidelights if they look blue(which led ones sometimes do)is a failure but down to tester really

Indicator bulbs prob just have the orange paint coming off so they flash white,common problem really

And rear spring self explanertry

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Failed every mot it has ever had. Indicator light last year, hmmm I don't even indicate so thy never get warm enough to peel or melt.

One year even failed cos I had boxing gloves on the interior mirror

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
Sidelights are white LED's not blue. deliberatly bought white ones as Im running 6k HIDs and blue wouldnt match it.
Indicator bulbs still flash orange, but I can see the point if the inspector is being a c**t - wow so thats 50p each...
Brake pedal rubber though... seems very suspicious but i guess ill have to accept that.
rear spring - if you say that it wont knock, effect handling or anything then I guess ill accept that. Best to replace all springs (lowering springs) or get the shocks and spring set?

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
Failed every mot it has ever had. Indicator light last year, hmmm I don't even indicate so thy never get warm enough to peel or melt.

One year even failed cos I had boxing gloves on the interior mirror

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

you must have a big mirror

hoare07

all seems pretty basic to me, id be happy with that. it nothing that going to break the bank.
:shrug:
if he passed your spring and a broken part ended up in your tyre causing a crash you would complain that he passed it.

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Ive been failed on the LED sidelights before... Apparently too blue. Funny because the same guy passed them the year before and then again the year after he failed them lol

greck999

SLOW work in progress....
Jul 10, 2009
Rugeley, Staffs
Mine failed on a broken spring last year. Apparently it won't knock always. My break was near the top of the coil so I would never have known.. as for the brake pedal, how can this fail as they were metal to start with. Does that mean all lcr's could potentially fail in the future..:confused:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Hi Guys, wanted to share my frustration!

Took my 05 plate LCR in to get its MOT today - came back failed on these things:
* Side lights are the wrong colour
* Rear indicators are "white"
* Broken rear coil spring
* No rubber on the brake pedal - can cause my foot to slip off whilst braking

Seriously?!
* My "sidelights" are LED white light conversions, that seen on the Audi's etc.. a perfectly fine sidelight.
* Rear indicator bulbs - are the standard ones, the same ones I have had on the car since owning it 2 years ago! I havnt even changed them!
* Broken rear coil spring - well I havnt heard anything wrong whilst driving or conering, nothing that would suggest a broken suspension spring
* and this one makes me laugh the most! "lack of sufficient anti slip on the brake pedal" what a joke!

The worst thing is I took it to my GF's brothers garage in hope that they would be able to help me out but actually they have F**ked me up even worse!

Sounds legit to me IMO. Testers have to be careful with letting stuff slip through. Easily visa me stuff like the indecators and side lights stick out a mile off. Say you got stopped by the ministry, on your way home because of the side lights. The tester would then be investigated. And it's not a nice place to be I tell you.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
As above simple things to fail on agreed loads on the brake pedal, take all the rubber off and try to brake with wet soles...i dare ya!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Broken rear coil spring - well I havnt heard anything wrong whilst driving or conering, nothing that would suggest a broken suspension spring

Had the same thing. It's symptomless at first but pretty dangerous if it breaks, so worth fixing.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
you might not notice the broken spring I had one on my Astra found during a service and it was literally only the tail end of the spring around 1" long turned out Vauxhalls are notorious for it
Get under the car and have a good look even a small bit broken off will fail an MOT

Also agree on the brake rubber needs to be there think if you have to slam on your breaks and your shoe is either smooth slippy or slightly wet you will slide straight of the brake pedal and straight into the car you are trying to avoid

CupraTim

Dec 13, 2010
Southampton - Hampshire
OK so now I am going to replace all the springs with lowering springs - been reading alot of posts regarding what to get and what not to get - I think I am just going to go through DPM performance and get AP lowering springs £113 so not that bad. Might as well drop her a bit whilst im replacing the springs as I was going to drop her at a later date. And a cheap pair of springs and save for coilovers at a later date.... just means it will eat at my exhaust fund :(

Bulbs - well thats simple, 50p each at local halfrauds or the like.
Rubber for the pedals - I had a look and the metal bit comes off and there is a rubber bit underneath it - anyone have any idea where i could possibly get one of these from? surely it wont be expensive but I have no idea where! second to that there is none on the clutch pedal, is that the same with everyone else?

LED sidelights, they are a pain to change now I have the HIDS in, but I guess I should do them just for the MOT
Just annoyed, never had an MOT fail before, I even put new numberplate bulbs in last night as 1 had gone!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise