Megane 250 vs cupra r

Rorza

Apr 3, 2011
Nuneaton
Ok guys next March im wanting to trade in the Leon for a petrol turbo now these two are the cars im contemplating ^ , i have used the search function but all i can find is vs focus rs , vxr and st so sorry if there is a thread but im just wondering what are the pros and cons of both these cars, standard vs standard performance, remapped vs remapped and also both these cars tuned to their furthest potential without changing turbo.

Again please forgive me if there is a thread if so link me please

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
Megane For me. Proper limited slip diff. Looks well nice aswell. New shape and model so to dated in looks. Recaro seats also available and ver sexy.

Rorza

Apr 3, 2011
Nuneaton
I've only found 1 new Megane vs cupra not r. Seen new vxr and st today vxr is very nice just out of my price range and focus is not aggressive looking enough left room for an rs i expect. Has no one been down the drag strip with a 250 or 265?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Out of the box, the Megane feels like the more complete car. You sit lower, with a nice high door line - it feels every part the sporty car with the low roof line & 3 door coupe shape.

The interior is not as solid as the Leon, but then the Leon is no shining star here either.

Both engines feel strong, the Renault diff is nicer than the Leon's eDiff. I believe that tuning on the Megane is still fairly low output wise, but there are a few really good outfits to improve that.

I'd look at future resale - and have a good drive of both. The Cupra R lost a lot of money initially, so you could probably pick a newer one up for the same money, but may not be worth so much later

Rorza

Apr 3, 2011
Nuneaton
Thanks for the input guys, what about a stage 2 325meg (max bhp I've read without change of turbo) vs 360+ stage 2+ r would it be an easy win for the r or pretty close due to weight 1/4mile btw not track as i think we all know the output there.

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
Depends what you'll be using it for.

From what I've heard, RenaultSports are a bit hardcore, so if it's your regular going-to-tescos car then it might not be the easiest thing in the world to live with.

If you're planning to track it though then there's not much in the world of hot hatches that beats a Renault.

If all you're interested in is 1/4 mile/ dragstrip/ bhp then get a Monaro. Those American V8s are highly tunable (whilst being near bulletproof) and sound awesome.

Rorza

Apr 3, 2011
Nuneaton
Vxr8 would be nice but at 20 i don't think that's going to happen.

It will be used by the Mrs mainly as a daily commute of no more 10miles and by me at weekends as a toy.

I think as said ill just have to test drive both and see which one i like. I still would like to see an r vs meg on the strip

Thanks all for the input

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
If you're buying new I would also look at the new Audi A3, looks are a bit boring but the first reviews say that it is way ahead of the competitors.

About the Megane, bit strange that even the French refuse to buy them, the old one was quite common but I drive on a regular basis through France and so far I managed to spot no more than 2 RS versions (even in Germany these are more common).

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
you only get a LSD in the cup package , but then with cup you only get AC not climate control, and a few other differences , red calipers only on cup cars.

DRL's and xenons is a must together with the renault sports monitor :D

i have been looking at these recently and flaot my boat :)
out of the box they are pushing 280 bhp , not the claimed bhp renault claim.

They are holding their value well and that makes them quite exclusive , you dont see many on the roads , perhaps thats the same in France ?

i have been on a couple of French forums and people are buying them and tuning them.

I think if you can get the spec you are after then they are cracking cars !

they havent won best performance hatch for the last couple of years for no reason !!!!!!

if you are after willy waving stats then stick with a Cupra R , but through the twisties the renault will reel you in and show you a clean pair of heels and all the power will be useable.

Rorza

Apr 3, 2011
Nuneaton
you only get a LSD in the cup package , but then with cup you only get AC not climate control, and a few other differences , red calipers only on cup cars.

DRL's and xenons is a must together with the renault sports monitor :D

i have been looking at these recently and flaot my boat :)
out of the box they are pushing 280 bhp , not the claimed bhp renault claim.

They are holding their value well and that makes them quite exclusive , you dont see many on the roads , perhaps thats the same in France ?

i have been on a couple of French forums and people are buying them and tuning them.

I think if you can get the spec you are after then they are cracking cars !

they havent won best performance hatch for the last couple of years for no reason !!!!!!

if you are after willy waving stats then stick with a Cupra R , but through the twisties the renault will reel you in and show you a clean pair of heels and all the power will be useable.

Wow i didn't realise that, so that's why there so close to the rs standard. I think that has made my mind up thanks

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
I do like the new Megane, I have found myself admiring them every time i see one on the road.

Its not worth comparing the XDS to a mechanical LSD. LSD will win all the time. from my experience with the XDS system in the LCR it just breaks one wheel when its spinning. BUT its never worked on the track for me often spinning the inside when on the apex os most corners.

The seats in the LCR are nice but the quality of them is not as good as the Recaros in the Megane.

The feel of the steering on the Megane i test drove (CUP version) was sooooo much better. You could feel the road and the car much better.

I didnt get to push the Megane on the test drive so im not sure about the corners, i tend to think the LCR is good on the road but suffers massively on the track with understeer and lift over oversteer.

If i was looking now I would go for he Megane.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
I do like the new Megane, I have found myself admiring them every time i see one on the road.

Its not worth comparing the XDS to a mechanical LSD. LSD will win all the time. from my experience with the XDS system in the LCR it just breaks one wheel when its spinning. BUT its never worked on the track for me often spinning the inside when on the apex os most corners.

The seats in the LCR are nice but the quality of them is not as good as the Recaros in the Megane.

The feel of the steering on the Megane i test drove (CUP version) was sooooo much better. You could feel the road and the car much better.

I didnt get to push the Megane on the test drive so im not sure about the corners, i tend to think the LCR is good on the road but suffers massively on the track with understeer and lift over oversteer.

If i was looking now I would go for he Megane.

I would agree aswell... The Megane F1 edition is it? is not made in the same production line as the lower spec models...more specialized, But yea fair play they are growing on me despite the french badge.

Xenons, Recaros, LSD etc etc all standard and the cost isn't too bad either! referring to the 06 model?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise