2007 seat ibiza formula sport headllights

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
None if you want to stay legal.

Recent (early 2012) changes to MoT make the use of an HID burner (bulb) in a light unit designed for halogen, illegal and an MoT fail. the e-marking on the lights easily tells plod or the tester what bulb should be fitted.

And ANY twin filament bulb in HID is an abomination, scatter, scatter and more scatter.
they look decent, but you can't see any better with them and they dazzle other road users. The first prosecution for dazzling with them has already gone through....
stick with s-called uprated bulbs, Ring 120% uprated, Halfords Ultra Brilliance, Philips Ultra vision, Osram Nightbreakers etc, you'll see almost as well with single discharge HID and better than twin, plus you'll be legal...and the bulbs are cheaper.

I'm gonna have to diagree with that. I had a 96' Lancer using an H I D kit and as far as the illumination goes it was far better than OEM gear, in fact it was fantastic. It's not so that they dazzle other road users unless you're stupid enough to stare into their lights, plus if the uprated liting kit was a problem to ther road users they'd soon let me know by flashing which they didn't. There's so many cars out there these days using aftermarket H I D kits which wern't designed for them and they work fine.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
HID's are the best thing iv bought for my car. Go on eBay and look for H7 HID. 5000k is white, and they get bluer the higher the number.

As for MOT as long as you keep the covers on the back of the lamps it should be fine. My MOT was in January and there was no advisories about the lights.

+1 They're a great upgrade. I think people get a little a nervous about the legalities concerning them which is understandable to a point, but a little paranoid too.

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Don;t talk pish. If you want to discuss legalities go start your own thread instead of cluttering up someone else with useless wrong information.

OP - Dipped beam you want H7R, main beam and fogs are H1 but you need to do a bit of modifying to fit them.
Sidelight you need a 501 LED equivalent. I've used some 5 SMD ones in mine and they're pretty good

Or these for these for sidelight bulbs, very bright indeed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3506044612...84.m1439.l2649

Using them currently, very pleasing indeed :)

alcazar

Well your all about legality.

Mine's bigger than yours? He said she said?

What we are on about is something that can easily fail an MoT, or be picked up by plod, as they already ARE being. IF they are illegal, they ARE an MoT fail. Simple.

But as I've said before, your choice, your car.

If you want HID, do it properly: projectors.

And it's "you're" btw.......:p

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Mine's bigger than yours? He said she said?

What we are on about is something that can easily fail an MoT, or be picked up by plod, as they already ARE being. IF they are illegal, they ARE an MoT fail. Simple.

But as I've said before, your choice, your car.

If you want HID, do it properly: projectors.

And it's "you're" btw.......:p

So you have a decat then :p

alcazar

I think VOSA care more about emissions than a set of HID headlights.

You THINK? or you know?

because I've RECENTLY had a VOSA stop. They were ALL over my lights, and I got an advisory for tinted front indicators, but they DIDN'T test the emissions, nor even look at the exhaust.

But I DO know TWO ladfs who have had plod tell them to remove HIDs, and ONE got an instant fine, Cleveland, the one in Durham just got told to remove them.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
You THINK? or you know?

because I've RECENTLY had a VOSA stop. They were ALL over my lights, and I got an advisory for tinted front indicators, but they DIDN'T test the emissions, nor even look at the exhaust.

But I DO know TWO ladfs who have had plod tell them to remove HIDs, and ONE got an instant fine, Cleveland, the one in Durham just got told to remove them.

to be honest it boils down to the same point as always:

HID's are NOT an MOT failure unless the beam pattern is not clear or completely out, no matter whether you have reflector lamps or projectors.

My mum has an A-Class which had a faulty halogen bulb which distorted the beam, and was told to replace it in order to pass the MOT (2 years ago). Last year I fitted it with HID alternatives and nothing noted, not to mention the 3 MOTs I have passed with a HID kit in mine.

I read your link earlier on and at no point does it state that HID's are an MOT failure, it simply states what I have mentioned above and how HID's "could" cause problems to other drivers or how they "could" produce a lesser quality of light than the actual bulb types they were designed for. The video is just to try and get people off using them entirely as some drivers are fitting the wrong HID bulbs or even a 55w kit where a 35w kit should be used to avoid the extra glare.

With regards to the 2 people you know who have been pulled for the HID's; the fuzz will pull you over for anything and vehicles with blueish headlights giving off glare will obviously attract their attention. When I first bought my FR I was naive and drove a few weeks with my fogs on at night...evidently I got pulled but no fine as they were in a decent enough mood, but they warned me that I could be fined for it. Needless to say that fogs are not illegal but they will pull you over because they MAY dazzle other drivers.

Your mates should have presented the police with the MOT pass certificate in contradiction to the fuzz's judgement and there you would see them having a case to fight. At the end of the day it would then go back to the garage who did the test and make sure that all WAS in fact legal with the headlights at the time of testing.

Should they have reverted back to halogens for the test and refit the HIDs after then they are a bit daft to get back out on the road with an ILLEGAL HEADLIGHT OUTPUT due to negligence of fitting non-recommended ballasts/bulbs...nothing to do with the units themselves being illegal

Last edited:

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
Yes, but short of getting UNDER the car, I'd defy you to know. AND it always passes it's MoT.

AND it doesn't dazzle other drivers.......:whistle::whistle:

since when does a MOT garage not get under the car? A proper/legit garage will get your vehicle up on a hydraulic ramp and do all the necessary safety checks

unless you have a contact who will stick the emission reading device into another vehicle's exhaust which is in fact ILLEGAL

Last edited:

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
to the OP

it's all down to you. make sure the kit you get is the correct on for the reflector headlights and you shouldn't have a problem (i.e. H7R 35w kit - 5000K or 6000K)

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
will yous stop complaining, i got them now just need to put them in, put the h3's in my high beems and blinded my self

lol...sorry to you on everyone's behalf but we do find it annoying when some people come on here with false pretences :handbags:

tbh i wouldn't put a HID setup on the high beams as they need to be on for a few seconds to reach their operating temperature which obviously is not what you ideally want when you NEED to instantly light up the road ahead for better visibility...not to mention a poorly visible flash to another driver

please don't take anything personally as that is simply my view, plus the fact that i rarely use the high beams in London. if you do a lot of night driving out in the country then maybe worthwhile

Last edited:

Gaz-m

Im an MOT tester and to be honest i dont have a clue why they have introduced anything to do with HIDs. Well, actually i do- its all to do with catching up with EU legislation.

Basically, a car that has HIDs from factory normally have washers and self-levelling, if either of these can be seen to not work then this is a FAIL.

However, there is not a fail for HIDs being fitted without washers and levellers! Originally in VOSA newsletters, they were going to be a failure, but there isnt a fail for it.

Basically, as long as they pass the beam image test, which they will if you fit the bulb right- then they PASS!

Ive just fitted a set to my Ibiza, look much better and much nicer light :D

Jackd93

Dec 3, 2012
Halifax
I've heard from many main dealers hid's are illegal to have without headlamp washers

Just saying. Still going to get mine done like :D

How high can you go without melting your headlamp :)?

Gaz-m

Polo GTIs have xenons standard and no headlamp washers.

Theyre an MOT fail when washers are inop WHERE fitted.

I can assure you what ive already said is the reality from MOT point of view.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.