2007 seat ibiza formula sport headllights

alcazar

None if you want to stay legal.

Recent (early 2012) changes to MoT make the use of an HID burner (bulb) in a light unit designed for halogen, illegal and an MoT fail. the e-marking on the lights easily tells plod or the tester what bulb should be fitted.

And ANY twin filament bulb in HID is an abomination, scatter, scatter and more scatter.
they look decent, but you can't see any better with them and they dazzle other road users. The first prosecution for dazzling with them has already gone through....
stick with s-called uprated bulbs, Ring 120% uprated, Halfords Ultra Brilliance, Philips Ultra vision, Osram Nightbreakers etc, you'll see almost as well with single discharge HID and better than twin, plus you'll be legal...and the bulbs are cheaper.

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
HID's are the best thing iv bought for my car. Go on eBay and look for H7 HID. 5000k is white, and they get bluer the higher the number.

As for MOT as long as you keep the covers on the back of the lamps it should be fine. My MOT was in January and there was no advisories about the lights.

alcazar

But you can clearly see what bulb is in by looking in the front......

Your car, your choice, but I personally know two people who have been told to remove them, one of whom got an instant fine, and I know of one person prosecuted for causing an accident with them.

As I said, your choice......

stonemichael

Jan 27, 2013
Dunfermline, Fife
HID's are the best thing iv bought for my car. Go on eBay and look for H7 HID. 5000k is white, and they get bluer the higher the number.

As for MOT as long as you keep the covers on the back of the lamps it should be fine. My MOT was in January and there was no advisories about the lights.

cheers, gonna have a wee look about the now

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland

Recent (early 2012) changes to MoT make the use of an HID burner (bulb) in a light unit designed for halogen, illegal and an MoT fail. the e-marking on the lights easily tells plod or the tester what bulb should be fitted.

And ANY twin filament bulb in HID is an abomination, scatter, scatter and more scatter.
they look decent, but you can't see any better with them and they dazzle other road users. The first prosecution for dazzling with them has already gone through....
stick with s-called uprated bulbs, Ring 120% uprated, Halfords Ultra Brilliance, Philips Ultra vision, Osram Nightbreakers etc, you'll see almost as well with single discharge HID and better than twin, plus you'll be legal...and the bulbs are cheaper.

Don;t talk pish. If you want to discuss legalities go start your own thread instead of cluttering up someone else with useless wrong information.

OP - Dipped beam you want H7R, main beam and fogs are H1 but you need to do a bit of modifying to fit them.
Sidelight you need a 501 LED equivalent. I've used some 5 SMD ones in mine and they're pretty good

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i just had my MOT done at a SEAT dealership as included with service. mine passed with aftermarket projector headlights with integrated RDL's and HID bulbs, no advisories. But then again my pattern output is clean with no scatter.

i guess as long as the beam pattern is clear then it should pass no matter which bulbs you have.

my last 2 MOTs were passed with my OEM reflector headlights and had HID's in them as well

to the OP: i would definitely go HID but make sure it's the 35W kit and use H7R bulbs as this will ensure the least glare is emitted. some people put the 55W kits in as they are brighter but these are the ones that glare the most, more so than having standard H7 HID bulbs on a 35W kit

Last edited:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
OP didnt ask if they were legal or not. You didnt answer any of the questions. = SPAM. Im sure google can help him out if he is worried about the legal side.

H7R, thats the ones i went with, forgot to add that. My full beam makes no difference with the HID's in. Love it.

alcazar

OP didnt ask if they were legal or not. You didnt answer any of the questions. = SPAM. Im sure google can help him out if he is worried about the legal side.

H7R, thats the ones i went with, forgot to add that. My full beam makes no difference with the HID's in. Love it.

What is it with you Scots?

As a matter of FACT I did answer his question:
hi im looking to change my standard headlight and side light bulbs and maybe the fogs to hid's

what hid bulbs do i need to get

And my answer, which is correct was:

NOT spam. Factual and enlightening.

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
My names Daryl... not Scot.

enlightening - i see what you did there. :rofl:

As for the HID's i dont think the 'none' type would fit. H7r was the answer your looking for ;)

Not filling the thread up anymore so im out :runaway:

alcazar

LOL, no....I mean both people who responded pulling me up for "spamming" were from north of the border.......

Obviously you treat forum rules more strictly up there?

:D

Mar 19, 2010
Don't listen to that clown. I have forwarded copy of a email from vosa saying there allowed aslong as your beam pattern passes mot

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Don't listen to that clown. I have forwarded copy of a email from vosa saying there allowed aslong as your beam pattern passes mot

Exactly this.

The legality of them is a much greyer area. I consider them illegal, but not an mot failure. And there certainly hasn't been anyone prosecuted for causing an accident with them

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
After all that, I swear I answered the op's question a while back. I made it pretty clear how it stands with hid's as I had my MOT done 2 weeks ago...the only difference to previous years was that the garage noted that I have a tint of less than 50% on my rear lights and side repeaters, but these are not even advisories and do not affect the MOT

alcazar

You might want to read the link you posted. At no point does it mention hids being an mot failure

Yeah, sorry. That was a link to an earlier argument about whether headlight washers and levelling HAVE to be fitted: they don't.

How about this then: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Scroll down to the video, then read the tenth paragraph after it, the one that begins:
What about the law, what does it have to say on the matter?

Seems pretty straightforward to me?

Mar 19, 2010
too many boring people on scn these days. Might aswell sell our cars and cycle around like vosa want..

Last edited:

alcazar

too many boring people on scn these days. Might aswell sell our cars and cycle around like vosa want..

LOL. How adult.

I'd better sell my 500bhp, 450 ftlbs Scooby then, had I?

Oh, sorry, too boring.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.