New Leons overpriced?

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
I've been fiddling around on the Seat configurator for the new Leon FR 150TD1 w/ DSG. I've also been checking out the new Golf, Audi A3 & BMW 1.

If you match the specifications, the list prices aren't too far apart. £23,940 for a Leon with (optional!) flappy paddles, Tech pack & convenience pack against a bog-standard Golf GT with the above as standard (+climate control) for £25,280. However, take into account resale values which based on the previous models is likely to be at least £1,000 more for the Golf, and there's not a lot in it.

Even for Leon vs. BMW or an Audi A3, the difference in the cost of depreciation over three years is only £1,000. For less than £30/month more, would you rather have a Leon, or a BMW or Audi?

Unless the discounts reflect the difference in resale values, the Leon is likely to lose out (in my case anyway) to the Golf or the BMW.

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
I think it's supposed to be a semi-premium type offering. Seat's cheap medium-sized family hatchback is now the Toledo, so they can move the Leon up market a little. I guess that's the idea anyhow.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Not sure how you configured against the golf?

If I configure mine like for like i.e LEDs against HIDs, satnav, climate etc...the Leon is around £2500 less and Ive got a £1000 finance freebie plus 3 years free servicing!

Andy

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Not sure how you configured against the golf?

If I configure mine like for like i.e LEDs against HIDs, satnav, climate etc...the Leon is around £2500 less and Ive got a £1000 finance freebie plus 3 years free servicing!

Andy

Agreed. And I priced up the equivalent Audi A3 (s-line) before ordering the Leon. It was 4k more and the dealer just shrugged his shoulders and said no discounts were available.

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Well I just tried to price up an A3, a Golf GT, and a Leon FR, tried to keep the equipment the same (Audi seems to charge you for everything, £70 for tyre pressure indicator?!). Biggest issue was the Golf has no 1.8 180bhp engine option so stuck with the 1.4...

Audi A3 S-Line:
Kd0IIcb.png

VW Golf GT:
zNEQRTh.png

Seat Leon FR:
ml541zR.png

You could go for the VW Golf GTI which gives you the 2.0 engine but pushes the price up some more:
Wp1hxbl.png

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
Would the golf have the full LED's as the FR does with the tech pack? Not sure if they warrant comparable pricing to the a3/golf just for that feature.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
The leon is the only car in it's segment currently running full LED headlights. With the audi and golf you would be getting xenons I would assume. Worth also mentioning that if you spec the leon up on DTD you can get around 3 - 3.5K further off the retail price..........

Last edited:

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
JK 1 -

Could you do the comparison again, but this time compare an A3 2.0TDI sline sportback with a Leon TDI FR and then a Golf GT TDI 5 door.

They all have the 150bhp engine, so would make a good comparison.

Id like to see the price when they all have Satnav / LEDS(xenons) / parking sensors / DAB / 18" alloys / alcantara /climate etc.

Now that would give you the right idea of where the value is and whether or not the Leon really is a good buy, especially when considering future values. (although I do think this Leon will hold its value much better than the mk2 - its a much closer car to the Golf this time).

Andy:D

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Ok, so the first one was the spec I'm looking at. This one is a bit more standard spec, with the 2.0 TDI 150.

Audi gets 18" wheels as standard, Golf GT doesn't get 18" wheels at all so kept the 17" standard Leon wheels. Audi get Xenons as standard, so added Xenon/LED on Golf and the LED lights on the Leon. White on all the cars, for some reason VW charge £200 even for non metallic white.

Audi Sportback S-Line
qTcS3f3.png

VW Golf GT
Mvvjsc7.png

Seat Leon FR
rki25sJ.png

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
Well out of that lot, the Leon looks better (from the outside at least, I bet Audi and VW had classier interiors, but that's all subjective) and is almost 4k cheaper than the Golf, and nearly 5k cheaper than the Audi.

Does the golf or A3 have better suspension? I believe the Leon has a torsion beam in that spec...?

I wouldn't bother with the Golf or A3 though, unless the Leon was a major let down in some way.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
Spec for spec between the Leon FR & the Golf GT (stripping out the Tech pack & the Xenon lights, and specifying a no-cost paint option for both - white for the Leon & red for the Golf), I get them to £23,785 vs. £25,280.

WhatCar suggests a slightly better discount off a Golf than a Leon, and IME, the closer to standard spec you want a car, the better your chances of getting a stock or pre-registered deal. The Golf has a collision-prevention system as standard, which isn't offered on the Leon, which has to be worth a few quid.

As I said in my OP, Seat dealers are going to have to larger discounts to sell when compared to the Golf, much less the Audi A3 or BMW 1.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Cheers JK1.
Thats a better comparison.

However, the Leon technology pack is currently £500, so that would be a further saving. Add in the £1000 finance deposit (Im paying cash but will take the finance and pay off within 14 days) plus 3 years free servicing - £329 on the Golf.

Also, there are 18" alloys available on the Golf, they're £710. - The Leon ones cost £400.

Bottom line is that the Leon, spec for spec can currently be had for over £4000 less than the Golf or A3.

Admittedly £1000 of this is down to finance deposit, but VW/Audi dont offer this, so it must be factored in as an additional saving.

I currently own a Golf GT TDI and went to buy the new one.

I looked at the Leon before deciding. Both cars felt very similar to drive and similarly built, although the VW does feel classier inside, I think the Leon looks better outside.

However, all in all, cost to change for the spec Ive ordered on my Leon was £8K plus my current car.

If I specced the Golf to the same level and considered finance/servicing deals, cost to change into the Golf was £12K.

Guess where my moneys gone....the Leons a steal compared to the Golf.

Andy

Last edited:

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
The Leon definatley wins on style. Interior is pretty decent too. Doesn't match the likes of the golf/a3. Though I'm sure in the VW pecking order all is as should be. As components of most major items are comparable I'm thinking the Leon is damn good value for money. I'm pitching it against its class mates when I say that. I've driven most over the last couple months and nothing satisfied the wallet and mind like the leon did.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Well out of that lot, the Leon looks better (from the outside at least, I bet Audi and VW had classier interiors, but that's all subjective) and is almost 4k cheaper than the Golf, and nearly 5k cheaper than the Audi.

Does the golf or A3 have better suspension? I believe the Leon has a torsion beam in that spec...?

I wouldn't bother with the Golf or A3 though, unless the Leon was a major let down in some way.

Only the 1.8tsi and the 2.0TDI (184ps) have the multilink suspension, all the rest have the torsion beam, so yes the spec quoted has the torsion beam. I believe the golf starts with multilink a lot lower down the range. Not sure about the A3.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
All the above is why I ended up with a F20 1 Series, factor in a 13% discount 4.9% APR finance and even though spec was slightly lower than the 1.4 TSi FR, residuals were higher. Like for like not including the discounted Tech pack the OTR price is £800 less than a 116i SE.
SEAT now charge £200 extra for Emocion red and VW £200 more for candy white :confused:

Although the Leon SE is closer to the 116i SE than the FR and costs 2K less in standard form.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The VAG paint pricing lottery is getting silly and has no logic to it. The Mii is particularly stupid as its made in the same factory as the Up and Citigo with the same paint yet some get certain colours free and others have to pay.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Theyre all at it.

The Ford Kuga was selling amazingly well in white (free).
Ford realised how much they were losing and now charge £250 for th previously free white!

Lets face it, red is free at vw, yet £200 at seat.....its all about charging what the market will accept...

Andy

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members