Update: blown turbo Cupra 280 repaired and failed again

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Gutted for you, must have been a nightmare.
Im not supprised that SEAT tried to pin the blame somewhere else.
Hope it gets sorted for you soon and is as hassle free as possible.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Good luck in getting this sorted out mate hope they don't cause you anymore unwanted stress.

Imo they should give you a completely new motor of similar year,colour etc etc and a few free services

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments.

Best possible reasoning I've been offered yet:

"If the exhaust wheel of the turbo has broken, the bits could've been sucked back in through the exhaust port via reversion when you shut the throttle after the bang."

I think this is somewhere near the truth. A bike engined Westfield I ran suffered a very similar fate.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments.

Best possible reasoning I've been offered yet:

"If the exhaust wheel of the turbo has broken, the bits could've been sucked back in through the exhaust port via reversion when you shut the throttle after the bang."

I think this is somewhere near the truth. A bike engined Westfield I ran suffered a very similar fate.

Sounds awful this id say whole new Engine.... only way your gonna be happy...
or rep the whole car would be even better...
I suspect they will want to check ever aspect of your engine over afterwards

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Sorry to hear about this OP. Gutting.

I've had my Leon for nearly 3 years and while it's been in my ownership it's only ever had Tesco Momentum 99 in it.

Never had a problem with momentum 99.......can't be contaminated fuel

Really hope SEAT come through for you & sort this to your satisfaction

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Really sorry to hear this, hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction as you really seemed to be enjoying the car. Think I would go for an entire car exchange if it were me, or money back.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear about this OP. Gutting.

I've had my Leon for nearly 3 years and while it's been in my ownership it's only ever had Tesco Momentum 99 in it.

Never had a problem with momentum 99.......can't be contaminated fuel

Thank you. I agree every car I've owned from 120bhp daily drivers to 600bhp track monsters have run fine on Tesco 99 so 20 years of experience says it's not the fuel. If it is SEAT will need to pursue Tesco for the costs.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Exactly mate.

The only way that the fuel would possibly be contaminated is after delivery by people in the petrol station and every car going through that garage would be affected.

Independently owned garages might take a chance adding something to thin the petrol down to make it go further, but a multinational company like Tesco.....no way

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Really sorry to hear this, hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction as you really seemed to be enjoying the car. Think I would go for an entire car exchange if it were me, or money back.

Thank you, I agree, it's either a different car or money back. I really do like the Cupra but at this stage all the other brands I've owned have better reliability.

GTRACING

Sep 27, 2014
Hi mbk72

Think you are right, sounds like a blade from the turbo or some other foreign body passed through.back pressure could be the air brake noise and white smoke is definitely oil being burnt .
Hope you sort, New engine or ......swap car .You may need to keep focused as the dealer is going to have to pay.....
Good luck

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
Absolute nightmare but to be fair to SEAT its a VAG engine that could have been powering an Audi VW or Skoda it's the unfortunate luck of the draw :(

Hope it gets sorted soon and I'd be pushing for a comparable car in the meantime, not a Polo!

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Well I feel in good company now after seeing Kevin Magnussen's McLaren Honda suffer a similar problem and blow out a ton of white smoke. It's clearly the fashionable failure of the moment! Hopefully I will get some news tomorrow and a better replacement car to use until it's fixed or replaced if nothing else.

With no car to clean I'm amusing myself with plenty of 'ring laps on Assetto Corsa which is just fabulous, shame there is no Cupra 280 yet, hope they add one.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
im gutted to hear about your Cupra mate :(

to my knowledge there's no preference at the fuel terminal as to who gets what. Tesco will buy it from a supplier and they won't be the only ones to buy it from that supplier. Kingsbury is the main local distributor around here and if i filled up at the Shell garage because of the 'brand' chances are very probable that id still be using the same fuel they supplied to the local Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, Sainsburys Co-op, BP and Esso.

Pretty sure I read this somewhere ages ago, the only reason it's cheaper at supermarkets is because of their buying power.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Pretty sure I read this somewhere ages ago, the only reason it's cheaper at supermarkets is because of their buying power.

It's also cheaper as they can sell fuel as a loss leader to get you in the supermarket door and grab your cash that way.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Looks like a defective turbo, bad luck though.
Question: is your Start-Stop working and is it in use frequently?

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Yes Start-Stop was working just fine and it was in use in traffic probably 2 days a week. Do you think use of the Stop-Start has something to do with the failure?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Yes Start-Stop was working just fine and it was in use in traffic probably 2 days a week. Do you think use of the Stop-Start has something to do with the failure?

If you have been giving it plenty of beans for an extended period, and then let the stop/start operate, the turbo can get too hot. I always let the car have a bit of slower running before I allow the car to turn off, or if too close to some traffic lights/junction I turn off on dash before it stops the engine and make sure it always has a min or two at idle before allowing normal s/s to operate again. Failure to do this may end up with what you have experienced.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Modern turbo engines don't need to be left running. Even the latest Ferrari 488 which has a lot more performance than a Cupra can be switched straight off. The car wouldn't be fitted wth a start/stop system if it was going to do damage to the turbo. Besides, most people live and work in built up areas, so the 30 mph pootle to their driveway should more than suffice.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.