£42 for wiper blades that only come in pairs ???

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
as title says car been in for minor service today , and they try to fail me on a mot and charge me £42 for some wiper blades !

walked across the road and got them for £18 from ecp although ebay is only £14 for bosch ones .

i chuckled when the fitter walked over to the bin they keep the wipers in with left and right written on the chubby hole with £20.20 RRp each side, hmm only sold in pairs then.

funny how a minor service and mot was £208 and they came to the figure of £42 for the blades . A nice even £250 then.

they really are stealers [:@]

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
The wipers on the leon are pretty pants anyway, alot of people report them smeering almost from the off. Cheeky Mot failure

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Just had the same. Phone call, "All 3 wipers blades need replacing, they are £55". Respond with did it fail or is it advisory? They are split but working so advisory. Decline the replacement. When I get home and check them, only the passenger blade is slightly split. The drivers and rear are fine! MOT states just passenger side advisory.

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Ha my new Leon has such a crap rear wiper blade it leaves a thick line as it moves and I'd say on first service they'd nearly tell me it needs changing. I only notice the wipe when I'm driving and forget when I'm stopped.

Now I'm sitting on the couch and still too lazy to check it. Typical. Surely it can last the full 3 years. HA

Got this too, the blade is not secured to the mounting, so after a number of wipes the blade end gets caught in the end of the arm. Just pull the blade to the drivers side of the car about 1-2 inches to fix it temporarily. Needs bonding to fix permanently.

james_iow

Aug 16, 2016
Buy some Bosch ones from Euro car parts - £20.38 - all in....

I did and they are much better the VAG's cheap ones they fit, the item code and name are:

Bosch Wiper Blade (Aerotwin Flat Wiper Blade Set A556S) for the front

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Just had the same. Phone call, "All 3 wipers blades need replacing, they are £55". Respond with did it fail or is it advisory? They are split but working so advisory. Decline the replacement. When I get home and check them, only the passenger blade is slightly split. The drivers and rear are fine! MOT states just passenger side advisory.

it`s just a scam . i checked the wipers couple weeks back and they where not split .
they probably deliberately split them .

i bought some in euro carparts and fitted them so i could get it through the mot .

£18 in ecp with the discount code

or peanuts here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A1-V...504305?hash=item2ef24b1c31:g:bkcAAOSw0fhXmOc7

rear one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HQ-Automo...934534?hash=item4882131746:g:52IAAOSwyQtVxeNy

£55 is laughable

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
That sounds a real scam. If I owned my Leon I'd have it serviced and MOT'd locally by the independent garage I know and trust. As it is a lease car, it goes to the main dealer for service and I get them to change wipers every time and it is paid for by the lease firm. :D

Staggers me that a main dealer would act like a back-street dodgy dealer.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
That sounds a real scam. If I owned my Leon I'd have it serviced and MOT'd locally by the independent garage I know and trust. As it is a lease car, it goes to the main dealer for service and I get them to change wipers every time and it is paid for by the lease firm. :D

Staggers me that a main dealer would act like a back-street dodgy dealer.

yep bunch of wayne kerrs

they even had the front to tell me i would have to pay 2.5% surcharge for a credit card. :cry:

arizla

Dec 7, 2014
Bishop Auckland
it`s just a scam . i checked the wipers couple weeks back and they where not split .
they probably deliberately split them .

i bought some in euro carparts and fitted them so i could get it through the mot .

£18 in ecp with the discount code

or peanuts here

Front ones are 26" 16" not 24" 16"

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
When I bought mine from dealers it had its first Mot done by them prior to me buying it, couple of days later it rained so wipers came on, one was split where the rubber was hanging off the arm and the other was split but was still on the arm.
Went back to the dealer and asked how it even passed MOT and got a blank look back.
They didn't even have any new ones in stock so replaced them with wipers from cars on the forecourt. :S

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I notice the bosch set aren't oem size with the drivers side being smaller? Does this cause an issue? There are oem sized sets out there just not bosch offerings.

arizla

Dec 7, 2014
Bishop Auckland
Had to buy my Bosch ones separate, more expensive,
but at least i got a full clean sweep on driver side,
That's what you have to do if you want Bosch

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.