Kev's Mk2 Leon Cupra R now APR stage 2+

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Update,
So I've finally had the rest of the stage 2+ hardware installed.
Loaded my car up a couple of weeks ago for the early start to travel down AKS tuning on the Monday morning, 242mile 4hours an 15 minutes from home. Traffic wasn't good but got there an hour late, so I just left Alex to crack on as he only had booked my car in for 2 days to fit everything.

70FF9498-AF0E-4672-91CF-48019F4DB629.jpg

Hi Flow turbo discharge and throttle pipes
63mm hose connector for bayonet delete
Forge throttle body hose
APR RFD
RS4 fpr
R-tech pcv delete
S3 rear discs and pads

1114F47D-B361-4E9D-A2DE-A2993306B498.png

S3 rear calipers and carriers refurbed red at BrakeCaliperRefurbs

A549EB44-710D-4660-84BB-D93B8847A14F.png

The long awaited Peron Intercooler I order in February.

Also I had these parts fit and things done,
Tyrolsport subframe deadset collars,
I had the inlet valve cleaned, no pictures, Alex said they weren't bad but my car has only cover 31000 mile, I was more sticky carbon than burnt on with made them awkward to clean.
Changed the front brake pads (Pagid RS4-2 blue) and skimmed the discs,
Hel braided brake lines for the rear S3 calipers,
R-tech twin plate heat shield to fit the PCV delete,
AKS throttle body spacer with WMI blank for future install.

I think that was everything, after a couple of nights in London we went back to AKS to pick the Cupra R up for the long drive home.
With all the parts fit the car responds a lot quicker and pulls harder for longer.
The brake upgrades have made the stop from speed nearly instantly if you stamp on the pedal.

New view under the bonnet,

D0331C3E-29DB-43D9-8788-6D303ECF9157.jpg

Comparison of the refurbed rear S3 calipers and the colour of the AKS BBK Brembos

731C5190-005B-4CAB-8CC4-4A3D2329F579.jpg

E61C1561-8F1B-4954-A0E9-DEEDFD5FAFBA.jpg

Can't wait for APR stage 2+ software, and need the wheel alignment done as Alex didn't have after working late into the night getting the rest of my parts fit.
Big thanks to Alex at AKS tuning, he's done a fantastic job on my car and when I'm ready for the next round of mods I'll be making the 480 mile round trip again. With a hotel in London to keep the Mrs happy,

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Coming along very nicely. What figures are you looking at with the stage 2+ software?

Cheers Daniel, I was thinking around 360bhp 370lbs/ft, I would be happy with anything around them figures.
I'm going to sort out booking into Awesome Gti soon for the software upgrade and get on the rolling road afterwards.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Nice work. I've always liked the pagid pads. But the last time I had them they were called fast road so I think it's time for a set of rs4-2 blues in the Quattro. How do you find the slotted discs because I've had grooved and cross drilled and found both to be very vibey when breaking and sometimes with very light as well as hard braking? If you don't mind me asking.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Nice work. I've always liked the pagid pads. But the last time I had them they were called fast road so I think it's time for a set of rs4-2 blues in the Quattro. How do you find the slotted discs because I've had grooved and cross drilled and found both to be very vibey when breaking and sometimes with very light as well as hard braking? If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,
I really like the grove discs, they do vibrate a little when hot but never anything to worry about. Also I like the sound the groved discs make when braking. My brakes have never felt light under hard braking, I wouldn't be very happy if they were.
I know a few people have had the RS4-2 blue pads and rate them very well, also seen a couple of bad review but it all seems to me if they a bedded in correctly at first they work spot on.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
This was delivered last week from AKS from the free delivery offer on FB. I thought I would get the DV+ before I go for the software upgrade tomorrow.
AA08872F-E9B6-4CF6-9950-D04458ACA39D.jpg

All put together,

409B5547-8B7F-4848-B2B5-F936001CF4EE.jpg

First impressions are good, throttle seems smoother coming on/off boost. But the noise is different over standard and I'm not sure if it's right. I'll check with the lads at Awesome when I'm there for APR stage 2+ tomorrow.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
APR stage 2+ uploaded thursday at Awesome, my car made on the rolling road, 348.9bhp 368.5ft-lbs. My Cupra R didn't get the results I thought it would, but it feels loads quicker. Spec list,
•Performance;
APR stage 2+
Evoms intake
Hi Flow Turbo discharge pipe
Peron Intercooler
Hi FlowThrottle pipe
Forge Throttle body hose
AKS Throttle body spacer WMI blank
APR boost tap and boost gauge
R-tech pcv delete
R-tech twin plate heat shield
Forge dv to intake hose
GFB DV+
APR RFD
R8 red coil packs
Loba HPFP
Ngk BKR7EIX spark plugs
RS4 fprv
BCS powervalve turbo back exhaust 100 cell cat
Polar Fis+

•Brakes
AKS bbk Ferrari f40 brembo calipers, brembo fully floating 370mm discs, AKS brackets.
Pagid RS4-2 blue pads
S3 rear full set up
Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
Drilled rear discs
Hel braided hoses front and rear

•handling
H&R springs
H&R anti roll bars 28mm front and 24mm rear
SuperPro adjustable ball joints
SuperPro anti lift bushes
Tyrol subframe deadset collars
TD pro race 1.2s

•Transmission
Sachs clutch daul mass flywheel
42 Draft shifter bushes

Here is the graph from Awesome

77576F1A-6E25-4A52-BCD0-8F33C6C096F9.jpg

I've just ordered Rosstech vcds, so I can data log my car and see if there is any problems with anything.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
I suppose head Line figures aren't everything, as long as she's pulling well.

What power have other cars of the same spec made on there rollers ?

It does seem on the low side for all the mods you've got, any sign of a boost leak etc ?

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
I suppose head Line figures aren't everything, as long as she's pulling well.

What power have other cars of the same spec made on there rollers ?

It does seem on the low side for all the mods you've got, any sign of a boost leak etc ?

She is pulling loads better that before the upgrade, I'm happy with the power just I expected the figures to be to better on the rolling road.
I've had a look and it's not that easy to find but going off Facebook some people have made as high as 380bhp but not that many.
I was under the car yesterday and checked all the jubilee clips, nothing was lose or blown off, but one of the clips I replaced because when I give it half a turn for tightness it up it jumped on the thread. Apart from that everything is connect and tight, could see any damage to any hoses or pipes either.
When my vcds is delivered and I've worked out how to use it I'm going to log everything and see if there is a problem.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Your spec should make 370+ but....

A few months ago my Stage2 Cupra 280 made 350bhp, fast forward a few months and it made 388bhp on the same RR, no upgrades added,same 99ron fuel.

Interesting thing is the day it only made 350bhp it was a lot cooler.

Its the lottery.

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
She is pulling loads better that before the upgrade, I'm happy with the power just I expected the figures to be to better on the rolling road.
I've had a look and it's not that easy to find but going off Facebook some people have made as high as 380bhp but not that many.
I was under the car yesterday and checked all the jubilee clips, nothing was lose or blown off, but one of the clips I replaced because when I give it half a turn for tightness it up it jumped on the thread. Apart from that everything is connect and tight, could see any damage to any hoses or pipes either.
When my vcds is delivered and I've worked out how to use it I'm going to log everything and see if there is a problem.

Is there any rolling roads near you,you can pay for a power run and second opinion, could be awesome rollers read on the low side etc

Post your email address Iv got a apr graph you can compare with

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Reference to the S3 rear brake upgrade!

What does it consist of ? I'm assuming the discs are bigger n vented ,oe hubs?

Been looking at the scirroco R conversion,but that requires the R's hubs

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Your spec should make 370+ but....

A few months ago my Stage2 Cupra 280 made 350bhp, fast forward a few months and it made 388bhp on the same RR, no upgrades added,same 99ron fuel.

Interesting thing is the day it only made 350bhp it was a lot cooler.

Its the lottery.

Yeah I have thought this, also about 2years ago I went to a rolling road day at Awesome and toosmiles was there with his K1 similar spec to mine and only made around 350bhp but a couple months before on the same roller at Awesome he made 365+. Lottery.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Is there any rolling roads near you,you can pay for a power run and second opinion, could be awesome rollers read on the low side etc

Post your email address Iv got a apr graph you can compare with

I am thinking about doing this, but I'm going to log the car first make sure there is no issues before spending money on another rolling road run.

I'll pm you my email now, cheers

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Can depend on fuel quality as well, We have about 8 shell garages in MK but some are more popular that others so the unpopular ones sell less fuel meaning the fuel sits around for longer.

99ron wont sell as quickly as 95ron so if I use an unpopular station can guarantee my RR results would be well down.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Reference to the S3 rear brake upgrade!

What does it consist of ? I'm assuming the discs are bigger n vented ,oe hubs?

Been looking at the scirroco R conversion,but that requires the R's hubs

S3 set up calipers, carriers, discs and pads, I upgrade the brake hoses for Hel hoses but the standard hoses are fine.
Discs are 310mm vented over the 286mm solid discs, and the piston in the calipers is slightly bigger but I can't remember specs. You don't need to change the hubs.
Not sure why the Scirocco needs the hubs I thought they would be the same.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Can depend on fuel quality as well, We have about 8 shell garages in MK but some are more popular that others so the unpopular ones sell less fuel meaning the fuel sits around for longer.

99ron wont sell as quickly as 95ron so if I use an unpopular station can guarantee my RR results would be well down.

I don't think I need to worry about that, there is only the shell garage half a mile for my house and I can't think of another one within 40mile. There is one at Carlisle 20mile away but as far as I'm aware it's still closed from the floods in December, there is a Tesco at Carlisle but I just use Vpower.
I am going to ring Awesome Monday to see what file they ran my car on because nobody asked me what fuel I was using and when I've been in the passed they have asked.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members