Build week for new Cupra 290's

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
I do, I nearly hit a parked car when I first had it because as I coasted up to wait for an oncoming car to pass the parked on on my side it cut off and the steering lost the assistance and I literally had to slam on the brakes as i would have clipped the corner.

The above no matter how many times I re read it sounds like I'm a pleb that cant drive but I know what I meant haha and the Audi doesn't cut off half as quick as this system

My only other experience of it was in the rental cars i had while waiting for the Cupra but they were all manual so only activated if you have your foot on the clutch and brake or it in neutral and let the clutch out.

I'll see how it goes but i might give the dealer a call and see if there is anything can do about it.

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
I tried the eco mode tonight and i quite like it through town :)

I noticed if you touch the throttle or the brake at any point it does engage the gear again but when you dont touch the pedals you get an eco sync on the screen as it coasts along

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
I tried the eco mode tonight and i quite like it through town :)

I noticed if you touch the throttle or the brake at any point it does engage the gear again but when you dont touch the pedals you get an eco sync on the screen as it coasts along

Is that the blue bars screen where you get the points?? I got up to 140 one day if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Sounds like you should have gone 'diesel' I'm going for 150 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Audi is a diesel "ultra" doesn't matter what I do in the cupra I can't seem to get more than 32mpg, I don't think anyone buys them for the fuel economy though, still not done 500 miles in it yet and it's nearly 3 months old

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Wish I understood the eco points business and I am an FR diesel man but I don't pay any attention to it as long as the fuel gauge isn't flying down

Last edited:

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
Audi is a diesel "ultra" doesn't matter what I do in the cupra I can't seem to get more than 32mpg, I don't think anyone buys them for the fuel economy though, still not done 500 miles in it yet and it's nearly 3 months old

I've been using a couple of diesels whilst waiting for the Cupra and I did like the economy. I came out of a 3 litre petrol Lexus and, before that, an MGZT V6 190. Both gave only 25 mpg just driving normally, so I'm ok with the average 29/30 for the Cupra. I agree it's not easy to get beyond 32 unless you're behind slower traffic and can't get past. I've had a few frustrating drives to work behind pootlers, then checked the economy and been happy to see 33/34!

I'd done 500 miles within about a week! I'm approaching 3,000 and only got at end of Sep, that's with two weeks in the garage!

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
When I consider round town I get 45 max on the Audi and that is 136 bhp and drinks ad blue for fun the cupra isn't that bad for 290bhp cheaper fuel and no ad blue at £20 every 5k miles,

Last edited:

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
Is that the blue bars screen where you get the points?? I got up to 140 one day if I recall

haha is that in the eco trainer? i havent looked at it and probably never will, it was more how the car drove around town than the fuel eco. I didnt buy the cupra for that :)

I've had it a week today its nearly done 500 miles (300 were me), i think average mpg is early 20's last time i looked and ive been through a full tank of super so far.

I came from a 2.8V6T 300hp before this so im use to that drinking fuel, I havent done any long trips in the cupra yet but im sure it will probably get better mpg on the motorway than that thing did.

duckson

Apr 8, 2004
Simple question no doubt, but does the Cupra mode button stay in that setting (even individual) after turning the car on and off? (my M135i returns to comfort mode so wondering if its the same).

Also does the Cupra option on the engine only produce increased sound actuator noise or is there some engine or throttle change over normal or sport? (i'm talking from a manual car perspective).

Last edited:

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Simple question no doubt, but does the Cupra mode button stay in that setting (even individual) after turning the car on and off? (my M135i returns to comfort mode so wondering if its the same).

Also does the Cupra option on the engine only produce increased sound actuator noise or is there some engine or throttle change over normal or sport? (i'm talking from a manual car perspective).

According to the brochure it reverts to comfort setting for engine only, other cupra bits stay in cupra mode

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth

Bloody hell, failed miserably Jon! Tried Eco mode all the way to work.....apart from when I got dragged into full Nasty mode when I came across an E63 on the B road to Meriden who wanted a play. We had fun. He had to brake before the bends but was pulling away on the longer straights. Anyway, still ended up over 30mpg and I quite liked the coasting into the limited areas. Think I started on 80 Eco Points, went up to 90 something, then Cupra mode drank the points back down to 83! I've got such a low temptation threshold. Do they do Cupras Anonymous self-help therapy anywhere in Tamworth?

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016

Mine changes back even though with the door leds and stuff you think it has stayed in the last setting. The manual as mentioned confirms it changes back.

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Bloody hell, failed miserably Jon! Tried Eco mode all the way to work.....apart from when I got dragged into full Nasty mode when I came across an E63 on the B road to Meriden who wanted a play. We had fun. He had to brake before the bends but was pulling away on the longer straights. Anyway, still ended up over 30mpg and I quite liked the coasting into the limited areas. Think I started on 80 Eco Points, went up to 90 something, then Cupra mode drank the points back down to 83! I've got such a low temptation threshold. Do they do Cupras Anonymous self-help therapy anywhere in Tamworth?

It's hard work not getting dragged into things, I was in the road from Dordon to Polesworth where I saw you with the speed humps trying to stay in front of an S3, speed humps were taken at great speed, father in law in the passenger seat was not impressed, he said the car was "dangerous"

I think we should set one up to incorporate "stop HS2" too

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
It's hard work not getting dragged into things, I was in the road from Dordon to Polesworth where I saw you with the speed humps trying to stay in front of an S3, speed humps were taken at great speed, father in law in the passenger seat was not impressed, he said the car was "dangerous"

I think we should set one up to incorporate "stop HS2" too

Eh? Are you saying you saw me speeding over speed humps? If so, it wasn't me! Seriously, I crawl over them. Don't speed in 30s either. Against 'the code'.

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Eh? Are you saying you saw me speeding over speed humps? If so, it wasn't me! Seriously, I crawl over them. Don't speed in 30s either. Against 'the code'.

No I was down that road I saw when getting embroiled in things with an S3

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.