Vcds??

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey guys what’s the cheapest/ easiest way to get VCDS, I’ve seen that VCDS lite but is that free?

Also do the cheap eBay cables work?

Don’t really wanna spend much money on it tbh!

Also do you know of any video guides to help a complete noob like myself?

Thanks guys and gals

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You should ask in the VCDS section, really. When I got mine, I got a cable from an approved supplier and downloaded VCDS from Ross-Tech, which allowed me to look at some parameters but not make any changes (as far as I remember). I then paid a registration fee to Ross-Tech which gave me VCDS-Lite, which allowed me to make changes to some parameters, enough for what I needed to do on my old Mk.2 Toledo, which is not a CANBUS car. To work on CANBUS (as on my current Altea) would need full VCDS.

However, I think the available options are different now, and I've not checked them out properly yet.

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
You should ask in the VCDS section, really. When I got mine, I got a cable from an approved supplier and downloaded VCDS from Ross-Tech, which allowed me to look at some parameters but not make any changes (as far as I remember). I then paid a registration fee to Ross-Tech which gave me VCDS-Lite, which allowed me to make changes to some parameters, enough for what I needed to do on my old Mk.2 Toledo, which is not a CANBUS car. To work on CANBUS (as on my current Altea) would need full VCDS.

However, I think the available options are different now, and I've not checked them out properly yet.

Apologies I wasn’t aware there was a VCDS section haha

How much did the registration fee cost you? If you don’t mind me asking

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I got VCDS lite working for £10, using an old windows 7 laptop and a cheap cable from Amazon.

Used it a couple of years ago to enable the cruise control stalk I fitted. That was with the free version of VCDS lite. I could also read fault codes and have nose around at things like the coolant, air inlet and fuel temperature.

I then wanted to check/adjust my TDI fuel pump timing, this can’t be done with the free version of VCDS lite. So I sourced a suitable version of VCDS lite and sorted out my cold start problem.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.