jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

Reactions: RZ46

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
This is something that I have been thinking about, I am going to take the plunge and buy it. Where have you fitted the sensor, at the top of the windscreen?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
This is something that I have been thinking about, I am going to take the plunge and buy it. Where have you fitted the sensor, at the top of the windscreen?

Yes, fed wire up A pillar following door seal then across where A pillar trim and roof lining meet. Took less than 10 mins to feed through. Kit even came with a plastic trim tool.

Last edited:

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
This will be my first ‘mod’ to my Leon.

It’s one thing I am missing from my last car since taking delivery on Monday.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
This will be my first ‘mod’ to my Leon.

It’s one thing I am missing from my last car since taking delivery on Monday.

Yep, I was too. It was standard on the FL MKII FR, I had a 10 170CR and 11 211 TSi FR. Fun and capable cars :D

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
Yep, I was too. It was standard on the FL MKII FR, I had a 10 170CR and 11 211 TSi FR. Fun and capable cars :D

Yeah my last Leon was one of my nicer cars to drive.

I do like my Leon ST though.

How long did it take for your auto lights to be delivered?

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
Interesting! Does this negate the need to code through OBDeleven then?

I changed the sensor above my mirror, from regular humidity sensor it came with, to a Humidity+Light+Rain sensor in order to get my auto wipers working. They worked with no coding, like a charm. I was under the impression that to get the Auto Lights to work i'd first have to buy the GTI switch and then use ODB11 to 'turn on' the auto light function. I guess as this pack comes with a light sensor, there's no need? Or can you unplug the sensor that comes with this pack and go the ODB11 route so as to avoid having that sensor on the dash.

Very cool though. Been wanting to do with this for a while.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Interesting! Does this negate the need to code through OBDeleven then?

I changed the sensor above my mirror, from regular humidity sensor it came with, to a Humidity+Light+Rain sensor in order to get my auto wipers working. They worked with no coding, like a charm. I was under the impression that to get the Auto Lights to work i'd first have to buy the GTI switch and then use ODB11 to 'turn on' the auto light function. I guess as this pack comes with a light sensor, there's no need? Or can you unplug the sensor that comes with this pack and go the ODB11 route so as to avoid having that sensor on the dash.

Very cool though. Been wanting to do with this for a while.

Yes, no need to code at all, looked at the light/rain sensor thread. However, as I have a Dynamic SE without climate, I don't have a humidity sensor and wiring and looked like more work and wiring.

As the sensor is built in, it by passes the need to code it in. The switch has been modified and in essence a LDR wired in via a long wire to the back of the switch. Your route gives a better OEM look and auto wipers, my route is quicker and no coding.

You just have to find a discrete position to fit the sensor, which ended being the top right hand side corner of the windscreen.

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
Yes, no need to code at all, looked at the light/rain sensor thread. However, as I have a Dynamic SE without climate, I don't have a humidity sensor and wiring and looked like more work and wiring.

As the sensor is built in, it by passes the need to code it in. The switch has been modified and in essence a LDR wired in via a long wire to the back of the switch. Your route gives a better OEM look and auto wipers, my route is quicker and no coding.

You just have to find a discrete position to fit the sensor, which ended being the top right hand side corner of the windscreen.

Nice one, thanks. I'm all about the ease these days, ordered!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Nice one, thanks. I'm all about the ease these days, ordered!

No probs, I am the same especially mods :p

Father is going to be sorely tempted by this one when I tell him. Thanks for putting-up the info :coolthumb

My car's clone :)

One of those cheap and easy to do mods, compared to the £250 for the comfort pack that you have to order LED interior lights with at an extra £80 - is a very cheap workaround that does the job nicely [B)]

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Yeah my last Leon was one of my nicer cars to drive.

I do like my Leon ST though.

How long did it take for your auto lights to be delivered?

The MKIII Leon is a step up without a doubt, handles very well, decent engine and much better interior. 211 FR TSi was a hoot engine was a corker and one of my favourite cars - but not for mpg :cry:

It took just just under three weeks, downside of coming from China. However, for the price and quality of the switch (no idea if it really is OEM or not) but next to the one fitted to the Leon at the factory feels and looks the same.

Last edited:

Ibiza06

Aug 4, 2010
Think ill look into this. Top thread. Is there any way of altering sensitivity of the unit as with the OEM option?

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Think ill look into this. Top thread. Is there any way of altering sensitivity of the unit as with the OEM option?

Sadly not, does have three different modes. Out of the box it switches on the headlights after 3 seconds and is dark, not driven during the transition to see at what light level it activates as of yet... But lights don't come on if it is dark and raining during the day.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Thanks @jezyg for the info... Have ordered one for mine.. Already have the tech pack and this will add to the toys it already has and I've added... Love the ease of installation too....

One question though. Did you not think to try and run the cable to the centre of the dash just below the centre speaker? Or is this not worth the effort.... Thus installing where you did....?

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Thanks @jezyg for the info... Have ordered one for mine.. Already have the tech pack and this will add to the toys it already has and I've added... Love the ease of installation too....

One question though. Did you not think to try and run the cable to the centre of the dash just below the centre speaker? Or is this not worth the effort.... Thus installing where you did....?

The seller on eBay will be having a mini rush :lol:

Yes I did think about that, TBH went with the easiest path that also made it as discrete as possible, hence threading it via the A pillar by pulling the door seal back and pushing it into the cavity of the A pillar trim.

Be interested if you do try to route it there depends on if the speaker grill would reduce the light sensors performance :confused:

Last edited:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Be interested if you do try to route it there depends on if the speaker grill would reduce the light sensors performance :confused:

Yep, that did cross my mind... Thought about a small hole drilled into the grill just to exposed the tip of the sensor lens.. This would be probably be unseen unless you really looked....

I'll decide once the switch arrives..

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.