jezyg

Retro fit auto lights

mungo650

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for posting that mod. Kit ordered looking forward to fitting it. Cheers & Beers.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
My last car, Toyota Auris, had auto lights OEM, and these never came on in these condition. I had to always manually switch on lights... That didn't bother me though.....

Some cars I had with OEM auto lights have come on some have not. If it was really dark during the day my Corsa's would switch on.

Will be interested to see which route you go down, if it could be fitted in the grill with a small hole would look quite OEM. Don't think I would be brave enough to drill a hole in the centre speaker grill :help:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Some cars I had with OEM auto lights have come on some have not. If it was really dark during the day my Corsa's would switch on.

Will be interested to see which route you go down, if it could be fitted in the grill with a small hole would look quite OEM. Don't think I would be brave enough to drill a hole in the centre speaker grill :help:
Lol, I'll post some pics if I go down that route...

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I decided not to order the £250 comfort pack as only wanted auto lights and ACC in terms of options.

Realised I could buy an auto light kit off eBay for £25 for a Golf mk7/Octavia 2015, which we all know are the same as the MKIII Leon

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It really was a 10 min fit, only part I was not keen about was the light sensor position in the instructions.

The actual switch removal is a simple push in twist and then pull out. Feed wire and sensor through trim. Wait a few hours for the sensor to build up some charge (as would not work initially) and I then had fully operating auto lights

New switch
Switch.jpg

Recommended position via instructions
Sensor1.jpg

The position I moved it to and tested and gives you an idea of the size of the sensor
Sensore.jpg
Just got the nod that mines in the post. Sweet!

One thing I noticed from your install pic is the background lighting for the light symbols is white...
Mines red....
31c9d48967aa67f889a8f82c73a65cd6.jpg

I take it this is because the mod unit is from a different breed of car.......
Not a deal breaker for me, just curious......

Last edited:

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Maybe it's as easy to install auto wipers too. Stalks are readily available, maybe just needs another sensor...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Just got the nod that mines in the post. Sweet!

One thing I noticed from your install pic is the background lightning for the light symbols is white...
Mines red....
31c9d48967aa67f889a8f82c73a65cd6.jpg

I take it this is because the mod unit is from a different breed of car.......
Not a dealer breaker for me, just curious......

Yep I went for the Golf MK7 kit purely as I felt it looked nicer than the red light used in the Leon, Leon kits are also harder to find.

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Maybe it's as easy to install auto wipers too. Stalks are readily available, maybe just needs another sensor...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, you need a sensor and code it in, not having climate control means I would need a new mirror and wiring for auto light and rain sensor. don't think a new stalk is required reading the retro fit light/rain sensor thread. Much easier install if you already have climate control.

Last edited:

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
New wiper stalk not needed, original stalk in intermittent location initiates the auto wipers function

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MadeInYorkshire

Jan 25, 2018
Does the auto light function using the all in one switch adaptor method also switch the dashboard illumination as it would do if you manually switched the lights on?

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
Mine arrived in the post this morning, I will be fitting it sometime over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
Mine came today too, Saturday job for me. I’m going to try and put the sensor at the top of the windscreen too

Last edited:

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
Installed mine yesterday. Was an absolute **** to put the side plastic panel/trim back on. I kept bending the little plastic connectors trying to re-attach them. Also a metal connector from one of them pinged off somewhere inside, never to be seen again haha!

Other than that, 10 minute job. Works, pretty happy!

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
Installed mine yesterday. Was an absolute **** to put the side plastic panel/trim back on. I kept bending the little plastic connectors trying to re-attach them. Also a metal connector from one of them pinged off somewhere inside, never to be seen again haha!

Any tips on how to do it then?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby

Mine was rather stiff to get off, but went back on easier with a firm thud :D

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Where do you start? At the bottom or top? It came with a trim removal tool

There is a small recess for a tool half way around pointing towards the driver, pop the tool in there and lever it out, then in a couple of places slightly before a final level pops it off. There are three main clips and are quite stiff.

Supplied tool works well and does not damage the trim. However, did require a reasonable amount of force to lever the panel off.

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle
I’m struggling to get the original switch out, don’t want to break the original. How do you do it? I did read some instructions somewhere but can’t find them again. TIA

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
I’m struggling to get the original switch out, don’t want to break the original. How do you do it? I did read some instructions somewhere but can’t find them again. TIA

From the off 0 position, push in. Then turn to the right about 5mm, [about half way between 0 and the first headlamp selection]. It should stop. Then you should be able to just pull the whole thing out. Photo instructions here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise