Cupra vs FR

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Hi All

Okay I know the overall driving experience will be night and day however I'm contemplating a new or nearly new one of these:

Leon 5dr CUPRA 2.0 TSI 290 PS 7-speed DSG-auto
vs
Leon 5dr FR 2.0 TSi 190 DSG auto

Truth be told I want the Cupra, however here's what I'd like to know:

1. If driven carefully and on its standard tyres (low revs, gentle on throttle etc) is the Cupra as competent as the FR in the snow and ice, or is it a complete nightmare no matter how driven in these conditions?

2. I'm not sure what tyres the Cupra now ships with, however I've read on anything but dry tarmac it is very prone to wheelspin even in 2nd and 3rd? However I've also read this can be significantly resolved by changing the rubber. Is it rubbish in damp/wet on its shipped rubber and if yes what tyres are best to reduce this?

3. Is the Cupra quiet enough when cruising at motorway speeds?

4. Is there a release date for the mk4 yet? I ask this as there might be even better mk3 deals around in the weeks running up to this if buying new?

5. If you own the Cupra, do you wish you'd gone for the FR and if yes why? Same question if you own the FR.

Cheers :)

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Hi All

Okay I know the overall driving experience will be night and day however I'm contemplating a new or nearly new one of these:

Leon 5dr CUPRA 2.0 TSI 290 PS 7-speed DSG-auto
vs
Leon 5dr FR 2.0 TSi 190 DSG auto

Truth be told I want the Cupra, however here's what I'd like to know:

1. If driven carefully and on its standard tyres (low revs, gentle on throttle etc) is the Cupra as competent as the FR in the snow and ice, or is it a complete nightmare no matter how driven in these conditions?

2. I'm not sure what tyres the Cupra now ships with, however I've read on anything but dry tarmac it is very prone to wheelspin even in 2nd and 3rd? However I've also read this can be significantly resolved by changing the rubber. Is it rubbish in damp/wet on its shipped rubber and if yes what tyres are best to reduce this?

3. Is the Cupra quiet enough when cruising at motorway speeds?

4. Is there a release date for the mk4 yet? I ask this as there might be even better mk3 deals around in the weeks running up to this if buying new?

5. If you own the Cupra, do you wish you'd gone for the FR and if yes why? Same question if you own the FR.

Cheers :)
1: Both handle the same but it all matters on how hard you press the accelerator pedal.
2: My cupra has only ever wheelspun in first gear but I don't just floor it I accelerate depending on the road conditions.
3: Yes very quiet unless your accelerating and taking the revs high.
4: Mid to late 2020 I think its supposed to be released.
5: I've came from a FR tdi 184 to the latest cupra and there is no comparison if you can afford the cupra get the cupra.

Pedrocks

Feb 2, 2018
Having owned both and currently driving a Cupra 300:

1. I thought FR had more grip in snow, but conti's on my 300 are decent enough
2. I've had wheelspin in damp conditions, but it's down to how you use the throttle. (It doesn't happen all the time, just when you go too aggressive)
3. Yes, I do daily 70 mile motorway commute and think Cupra is better than FR
4.dunno
5. Are you mad, the Cupra has been the best car I've owned so far. Makes me smile daily! I had an FR again when the Cupra was in the garage and couldn't wait to get the Cupra back.

Reactions: red line fun

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
I’ve gone from 184FR DSG to Cupra 290 DSG

1. Neither is great in the snow on summer tyres, neither is a complete nightmare though.

2. Shipped Contis we’re absolutely fine, changed to PS4S like most and they’re a little more grippy and quieter. I can still spin them in third on a damp road.

3. Yes, it’s quiet enough, it’s my daily driver for a 50mile motorway commute. Quite a lot of tyre roar on some surfaces though, for me it’s noticeably more than the 184.

5. Very happy with the upgrade from FR, puts a big smile on my face everytime I get in it which is what I wanted.

Last edited:

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
Have an FR. Budget at the time says I couldn’t get a cupra.
But those I heard of not taking a cupra chose the tdi or 1.4 tai for economy. They wasn’t disappointed but you don’t buy a cupra for those reason. Only to smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Have a 184, and put it this way, if I could afford the fuel (long commute) I'd chuck it in for a cupra in a heartbeat.

Bit of a myth thing with this fuel for the Cupra. I own a 2017 St300 4Drive, revo stage1 +other mods kicking out 370+bhp.Now I’ve been on lots on long journeys and not so long ago we had a SCN meet in Castletown which was 4hrs away. A mixture of roads with acc on at 70mph returned 38.9mpg, not to far off the same figures on the journey home either. I like to have a little blow out now and again, stick to the speed limits and all that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017
I had the FR 1.4 ACT and the issues i had with it, guess the 190 version has similar issues
- too quite and a bit boring to drive, no engine/exhaust sound
- wheel spin when turning out at junctions, due too lack of "magic" front diff
- wheel hopping
- only 150 horses

Cupra has non of he above issues, other than the wheel hopping if I'm too aggressive.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017

Agreed, for a cupra running that much power that is a decent return. But the 184 will do 55+ mpg on a run like that

I do 350+ miles a week, pretty sure I would be filling a Cupra up at least once a week...

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Thanks for all the replies guys. Now don't go off on one as I know you don't buy a Cupra to save the planet, however if you drive it enthusiastically what can you expect from a tank mileage wise? I suppose I mean if driving around a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being granny driving and 10 being out and out maniac!

I'm definitely edging towards Cupra. Disappointed mk4 isn't due until mid 2020 (for getting even better mk3 deals) thought it would be out before then.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Thanks for all the replies guys. Now don't go off on one as I know you don't buy a Cupra to save the planet, however if you drive it enthusiastically what can you expect from a tank mileage wise? I suppose I mean if driving around a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being granny driving and 10 being out and out maniac!

I'm definitely edging towards Cupra. Disappointed mk4 isn't due until mid 2020 (for getting even better mk3 deals) thought it would be out before then.
If you drive flat out maniac everywhere you'll be about 20mpg. I have a 20 mile motorway commute to work and get above 35mpg easily, sitting at 70-75. 300 miles from a full tank. If economy is a worry and your not doing motorway journeys to bring the average mpg up then its probably not for you.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
1. On ice or snow, the behaviour of any car will be much more dependent on the tyres and use of the throttle than any other parameters. The locking diff helps the Cupra a little but its not really optimised for those conditions.

2. I think most new cars are shipping with Conti SportContact5s. I would recommend replacing with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as soon as you can affort to, much better.

3. Cupra is not really noisy at any conditions unless you go for the resonator delete. Even then it's still pretty quiet.

4. Not confirmed yet but Leon mk4 is thought to be available for delivery around Q4 this year. My theory is that they may use the summer shutdown to changeover. Launch will likely occur at one of the big motor shows in the 1st half of the year - some magazines suggested Geneva a while ago but that hasn't been confirmed either. I suppose discounts may peak after the launch, depending how the new model is received. Not sure whether, they'll apply to Cupra though as the performance version of a model often isn't available until a year or so after launch.

5. The only reason to choose an FR over a Cupra is if you can't afford the latter. Not sure anyone ever bought a Cupra and wished they'd bought an FR.

Reactions: arreruk

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I'm guessing that FR doesn't have the independent rear axle which the Cupra does?
IRS is fitted to the more powerful FRs only so the 1.8 & 2.0 petrol versions and the 184 PS diesel have it but the 1.4 petrol and the 150 PS diesel don't.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
If you drive flat out maniac everywhere you'll be about 20mpg. I have a 20 mile motorway commute to work and get above 35mpg easily, sitting at 70-75. 300 miles from a full tank. If economy is a worry and your not doing motorway journeys to bring the average mpg up then its probably not for you.

Tbh I wouldn't say economy is a worry as such, however coming from an FR TDi the sight of the needle dropping quicker than usual will no doubt take some getting used to :)

I also won't be doing a lot of motorway miles, my work commute is approx. 7 miles each way. However although I don't do much motorway I wouldn't rule out the Cupra as I can still have fun on the twisties etc ...

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I had the FR 1.4 ACT and the issues i had with it, guess the 190 version has similar issues
- too quite and a bit boring to drive, no engine/exhaust sound
- wheel spin when turning out at junctions, due too lack of "magic" front diff
- wheel hopping
- only 150 horses

Cupra has non of he above issues, other than the wheel hopping if I'm too aggressive.
I've got the 1.4 non-ACT. Due to budgetary constraints at the time it seemed a better option at the time.

I have to disagree with the first point. It can be a bit boring to drive, but considering the lack of IRS on the 1.4 it still handles very well and I've found it eminently chuckable. The wheel spinning and hopping is completely nuts considering that I've only got 140bhp.

However, times have changed and it's time for the FR to go. Next Friday is CUPRA day!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.