Liking it but not loving it

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
Can totally relate to this thread. There is no doubting the capabilities of the car, however my biggest problem is I just do not get close to taking it to the limit. In my younger years (I am 32), I had a Pug 306 Rallye. Most unreliable car I've owned however it was also the most fun on UK B roads. For everyday use the DSG is fantastic but overall the car leaves me cold. The views in here about modern cars are true and at risk of sounding cliché, they just don't make cars like they used to (face palm).

To note, I've done 10k in my 300 and the feeling hasn't altered.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MifSal

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Its not just the Cupra, Golf R, Audi S3 and Skoda forums have people saying the same thing.

It has just confirmed for me that I will keep my 280 for a very long time, just the right amount of comfort when needed and boy racer madness when you turn the tap on.
That is the very reason I still have my 280 too, but I think we are also in the same age bracket and now have different wants from a car than the young boy racers. Still have the bike to scratch that itch, so no pipe and slippers just yet.

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
I dont see a point of sport mode anyway, only selected it once :) I am speaking of cupra mode of course. My problem is that I simply don’t feel the wheel behaviour. Its hard to drive on the edge when you have no idea whether your front wheels are sliding sideways or not, especially catching the moment when they are just about to lose traction.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I dont see a point of sport mode anyway, only selected it once :) I am speaking of cupra mode of course. My problem is that I simply don’t feel the wheel behaviour. Its hard to drive on the edge when you have no idea whether your front wheels are sliding sideways or not, especially catching the moment when they are just about to lose traction.

But that is a problem shared by most, if not all, modern cars that have an electronic steering rack.

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
Modding time.....
I love mine at stage 3, now back to stage 1 for a moment and it is not so cool anymore :(

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I think it's got pretty good feel, not as good as an 86 of course, but OK for a heavish FWD on wide tyres. Loss of traction has been rare, but well warned of.

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
I totally agree with all the sentiments in this thread. I want to LOVE this car, I really do but it's too mild for me.

IDK, to be honest, too many small things that in reality aren't 'such a problem' - but yeah I can't put my finger on it either.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I totally agree with all the sentiments in this thread. I want to LOVE this car, I really do but it's too mild for me.

IDK, to be honest, too many small things that in reality aren't 'such a problem' - but yeah I can't put my finger on it either.
I'm still running it in, done 270 miles so far and I'm loving every moment spent inside. The smell of the leather, the impressive digital dash, the noise in cupra mode, I'm impressed with its freewheeling function in eco mode, it's sexy looks from every angle but best of all it's that aggressive shove in the back even though I'm still taking things gentle.......ish. Why wouldn't anyone love this car??

Reactions: chrisjgill

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
I'm really keen to hear what you buy next then.

I mean the reason I actually got the Leon was because I used to own a Mk6 Golf GTI, and then for a short time I was driving a Mk7 Golf R and even a MK7.5 Golf 1.4TSI.

So my thinking was, okay no problem - it'll just be exactly like that just with some cheaper plastics and a no-name brand. I mean it's damn good value for the price here in Sweden - or at least I got it for a good deal. But it's not the same, and I am super jealous of people who sprung for a Mk7.5 Golf R SW (Estate).

I will say though, once I got the 19's on it - it does look much better and I like it more now than I did when I was about 3000kms in.

Janusz

Oct 4, 2018
I think passing 450hp range removes the mild feeling of this car. As I said I loved it at stage 3 but at stage 1 it is plain hatchback. Counting the days before getting back to s3....

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
I'm still running it in, done 270 miles so far and I'm loving every moment spent inside. The smell of the leather, the impressive digital dash, the noise in cupra mode, I'm impressed with its freewheeling function in eco mode, it's sexy looks from every angle but best of all it's that aggressive shove in the back even though I'm still taking things gentle.......ish. Why wouldn't anyone love this car??

I don't have the full leather, but I have the Cupra Sport seats which are cool.

The digital dash is so hit and miss, it is too small in my opinion - but yes it is very cool with the different displays.

Does your model have a dedicated Eco mode? because I have to constantly re-configure mine in the Individual mode to activate it and I was wondering why everyone finds it so easy to just turn 'Eco' on.

I have the ST model, which isn't a looker, but I mainly bought the car for its value + 4WD + space.

I would like to hear more on your thoughts about the Cupra mode sound actuator, and your thoughts on the performance.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I mean the reason I actually got the Leon was because I used to own a Mk6 Golf GTI, and then for a short time I was driving a Mk7 Golf R and even a MK7.5 Golf 1.4TSI.

So my thinking was, okay no problem - it'll just be exactly like that just with some cheaper plastics and a no-name brand. I mean it's damn good value for the price here in Sweden - or at least I got it for a good deal. But it's not the same, and I am super jealous of people who sprung for a Mk7.5 Golf R SW (Estate).

I will say though, once I got the 19's on it - it does look much better and I like it more now than I did when I was about 3000kms in.
If I may ask, what version is yours as the current version comes with 19inch wheels as standard? I text drove the latest Golf R and the new Mercedes A35AMG and much preferred the Cupra

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
If I may ask, what version is yours as the current version comes with 19inch wheels as standard? I text drove the latest Golf R and the new Mercedes A35AMG and much preferred the Cupra
GPF-fitted, 19' model ST300 4Drive. Picked it up in January.

So I have the 19's that the Copper Cupra's got actually - with the Copper-coloured badges on the hubs. But since I my Copra came in December, and it was snowing here, I'd asked them to fit winter wheels (Seat OEM winter wheels) to it. They're not the greatest looking, but they were on Nokian tyres which are excellent in the winter so I didn't complain. Hence, why I was very excited to get the summer wheels on it.

Funny you mentioned the A-Class, I would've gotten a new A220-4Matic if it weren't for the awfully rude dealer salesman. I still really like it too actually, but I do believe the A35 is much out of my price range. If the Golf wasn't more expensive, I probably would've gotten that instead actually. Honestly, I probably would have bought the A-Class in A180-spec instead - but I really wanted 4WD.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
I don't have the full leather, but I have the Cupra Sport seats which are cool.

The digital dash is so hit and miss, it is too small in my opinion - but yes it is very cool with the different displays.

Does your model have a dedicated Eco mode? because I have to constantly re-configure mine in the Individual mode to activate it and I was wondering why everyone finds it so easy to just turn 'Eco' on.

I have the ST model, which isn't a looker, but I mainly bought the car for its value + 4WD + space.

I would like to hear more on your thoughts about the Cupra mode sound actuator, and your thoughts on the performance.
The digital dash fills the whole screen behind the steering wheel so I wouldn't describe it as small? Eco mode is accessed in individual mode which I use as the eco version
I have yet to fully experience the performance apart from when I test drove the car as I'm waiting until well over the 1000 mile or 1600km distance. I think the sound is great, how does the actuator work I wonder?

Reactions: MifSal

h-a-r-r-y

Feb 12, 2019
Sweden
The digital dash fills the whole screen behind the steering wheel so I wouldn't describe it as small? Eco mode is accessed in individual mode which I use as the eco version
I have yet to fully experience the performance apart from when I test drove the car as I'm waiting until well over the 1000 mile or 1600km distance. I think the sound is great, how does the actuator work I wonder?
Ahh okay so the eco mode thing, yeah it's the same as mine. Shame.

Used to big screens I guess, but for me there's too much info in a small screen.

The actuator pipes 'fake' sound from the engine bay through the speakers. I've been thinking about turning it off via OBD or something, but if you're curious the 'real' engine note is more closer to what it sounds like in Sport.

CupraK290

Mar 3, 2019
Ahh okay so the eco mode thing, yeah it's the same as mine. Shame.

Used to big screens I guess, but for me there's too much info in a small screen.

The actuator pipes 'fake' sound from the engine bay through the speakers. I've been thinking about turning it off via OBD or something, but if you're curious the 'real' engine note is more closer to what it sounds like in Sport.
So the sound we hear does come from the engine bay, through pipes and magnified from the speakers?
We all have different likes dislikes and priorities when sourcing a suitable car. The Cupra was far more compliant with less road noise than the Mercedes A35AMG. I did like it's copious amount of screen though. Performance wise, the Cupra edged it unless it was an off the line start. I also tested the A250AMG line which I thought was too tame performance wise

MifSal

Feb 7, 2019
Yeah basically - how much is fake and how much is real I'm not sure.
i turned off the sound actuator with obd and it was set to 100% so the noise you hear in cupra mode it totally fake! wait for the engine to run in and the exhaust will be getting much louder

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.