Leon Cupra 100-200 time?

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
Not very scientific but if you manually time this video, at the appropriate point, I make it that a stock PPF Cupra does 100 to 200 kmh in around 11.4 sec

They don’t do anywhere near 11.4 seconds. You can’t go off a speedo lol real GPS is completely different. I’ve got a stage 2 cupra which does 8.7 full weight 100-200kph and my mate has a stock GPF cupra which does at best 12.5 100-200kph. Never would it do an 11.4 unless it’s fully stripped out and using octane booster. You need vbox or dragy to test the performance. Not a Speedo.

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
My stage 2 seat leon cupra 280 dsg 5 door full weight with pan roof.

Attachments

• 76E7CF34-366F-4984-897F-8BF98BDE59DB.png
    76E7CF34-366F-4984-897F-8BF98BDE59DB.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 37D37A21-D0C6-404A-B1DE-DC8DF8A58CD1.png
    37D37A21-D0C6-404A-B1DE-DC8DF8A58CD1.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 6A76F0FA-8C76-459E-B4EB-F213022B3430.png
    6A76F0FA-8C76-459E-B4EB-F213022B3430.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 220

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
They don’t do anywhere near 11.4 seconds. You can’t go off a speedo lol real GPS is completely different. I’ve got a stage 2 cupra which does 8.7 full weight 100-200kph and my mate has a stock GPF cupra which does at best 12.5 100-200kph. Never would it do an 11.4 unless it’s fully stripped out and using octane booster. You need vbox or dragy to test the performance. Not a Speedo.
You can use a speedo if you compensate for error. Even without compensation, the 100 and 200 hundred points are still relative, perhaps 2 or 3 km/h difference. It's not like accelerating from zero to a given speed.
Speedos have a faster refresh rate than most GPS devices, my bike accelerates quicker than a GPS readout can display, to the order of about 5 km/h.
The most accurate devices are those that read off wheel rotation via the ECU.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
The Speedos on these are out by quite a bit, messed up many a Dragy run by lifting off when the Speedo indicated 200 yet Dragy was still at 194ish!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The Speedos on these are out by quite a bit, messed up many a Dragy run by lifting off when the Speedo indicated 200 yet Dragy was still at 194ish!
Mine is 3km/h fast at 100 km/h. It used to be 4 until I put the Mich's on. My wife's Arona is 1 - 2km/h fast, it's on 18" wheels. I doubt that you'll find a speedo on a stock car that reads true or slow, most authorities mandate that they read lower than true.
My last three bikes all read 10 km/h fast, it's not unusual for bike speedos.

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
You can use a speedo if you compensate for error. Even without compensation, the 100 and 200 hundred points are still relative, perhaps 2 or 3 km/h difference. It's not like accelerating from zero to a given speed.
Speedos have a faster refresh rate than most GPS devices, my bike accelerates quicker than a GPS readout can display, to the order of about 5 km/h.
The most accurate devices are those that read off wheel rotation via the ECU.
I’m not even going to get into this argument. Dragy and vbox are real life GPS devices and are 100% accurate, everyone uses them at pod and crail, they are more a less dead on the times! Speedo’s are way out mate, you need to do a little more research if you think they aren’t. Get a dragy on a stock cupra ppf car they aren’t getting no where near 11’s.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I’m not even going to get into this argument. Dragy and vbox are real life GPS devices and are 100% accurate, everyone uses them at pod and crail, they are more a less dead on the times! Speedo’s are way out mate, you need to do a little more research if you think they aren’t. Get a dragy on a stock cupra ppf car they aren’t getting no where near 11’s.
I'm confused as someone in this thread got 11.75 using Dragy with their stock PPF car. They got almost spot on 12 on their first run then got it down to 11.75.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I'm confused as someone in this thread got 11.75 using Dragy with their stock PPF car. They got almost spot on 12 on their first run then got it down to 11.75.

Saw that too, looks like it was downhill though.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
You are in this argument and you've missed the entire point of relativity, and appear to know nothing about speedo calibration.
Our patrol car speedos were within 1 km/h throughout a range from zero to 180, more accurate than GPS which is generally claimed to be within 1.5 km/h, they were calibrated every three months, and they were analogue.
Speedos are deliberately calibrated at the factory to read fast, not because they are incapable of better accuracy. The wheel driven trip computer on my bike is dead accurate.
Do some research, what everyone does is not always correct.

Reactions: Kirky

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
You are in this argument and you've missed the entire point of relativity, and appear to know nothing about speedo calibration.
Our patrol car speedos were within 1 km/h throughout a range from zero to 180, more accurate than GPS which is generally claimed to be within 1.5 km/h, they were calibrated every three months, and they were analogue.
Speedos are deliberately calibrated at the factory to read fast, not because they are incapable of better accuracy. The wheel driven trip computer on my bike is dead accurate.
Do some research, what everyone does is not always correct.
LOL you are a complete tool mate. If you realised who your talking to you’d feel stupid. You are completely wrong in every way. GPS is the most accurate tool you can possibly use specially the real GPS kits like vbox, dragy or p-gear. You realise I’m a tester for tuners with stock and tuned cars yeah? I do this every week I know more than you’ll ever know kid.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
LOL you are a complete tool mate. If you realised who your talking to you’d feel stupid. You are completely wrong in every way. GPS is the most accurate tool you can possibly use specially the real GPS kits like vbox, dragy or p-gear. You realise I’m a tester for tuners with stock and tuned cars yeah? I do this every week I know more than you’ll ever know kid.
I'm interested to know how Dragy claim their GPS device is accurate to 1/100th of a second when using a 10hz GPS receiver. If it's only updating its position 10 times a second then it would have to extrapolate the 90 missing samples based on the 10 it has. Does it have an inertial measurement unit to fill this missing data or is it based purely on mathematical functions to extrapolate the 1/100th second data?

Reactions: LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
When people resort to abuse, it's obvious they do not know what they're talking about, and you don't. Otherwise you would not lump all GPS systems into the same box. You clearly do not know that GPS navigation and GPS speed detection work from two different principles. You probably don't even know what the Doppler effect is. So you play with other peoples technology and think you know it all.
I particularly like the kid bit, I was working with cars and bikes and doing traffic enforcement before your dad strained you through the blanket.

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
Y
When people resort to abuse, it's obvious they do not know what they're talking about, and you don't. Otherwise you would not lump all GPS systems into the same box. You clearly do not know that GPS navigation and GPS speed detection work from two different principles. You probably don't even know what the Doppler effect is. So you play with other peoples technology and think you know it all.
I particularly like the kid bit, I was working with cars and bikes and doing traffic enforcement before your dad strained you through the blanket.
you are 1 deluded little boy. GPS is more accurate than a speedo period. You are embarrassing with your silly theological explain of the subject that you claimed a stock cupra 290 ppf does 11.4 seconds because you went off the speedo!? Shows how much knowledge you know kidda. I rest my case. Don’t even know why I’m replying to you .

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Anyone who thinks a speedo is more accurate than GPS you need to take your head for a spin. You and that Lou are clearly up each other’s arse.
:blink: I didn't mention speedos of the vehicle or swimming variety. I asked a simple question about a GPS device. Instead I get a random rant.

In the post above you've also accused Lou of claiming a stock Cupra does 11.4 based on a Speedo. The beauty of a forum is you can go back and read messages. He didn't once claim this.

Last edited:

MH0

Aug 7, 2019
Your speedo and your sat nav calculate speed in different ways. Speedometers usually work by continuously counting turns of a driveshaft, the gearbox or a wheel, and relating them to the rolling circumference of the car’s tyres to give the road speed.

Because the circumference of the wheels and tyres can change — with wear, for instance, or the aftermarket fitting of larger wheels and tyres — speedometers have to allow for a margin of error. Legally they may overstate a vehicle’s speed by up to 10% but may not understate it. Your speedo will therefore nearly always indicate a road speed that’s slightly higher than the one you are doing.

Sat navs, though, calculate your speed by constantly updating your exact location via global positioning satellites (GPS), measuring the distance travelled since your last co-ordinate and comparing it with the time taken. On a straight and level road, at constant speed, the GPS-derived speed reading will be accurate.

However, there is usually some lag in the reading, and accuracy can be affected by GPS signal quality, bends in the road, inclines and speed changes. Fortunately, modern factory-fitted systems also use data from the car itself, integrating it with the GPS information so as to enhance the accuracy.

So, in general, your sat nav is likely to be more accurate than the car’s speedometer, but for safe driving, rely on the latter because it will never understate your speed.

Reactions: Zer0

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
I measured my stock 2018 Cupra 300 with 19” Motec wheels at 11.81 with -0.15% slope. That is the best result I got using Dragy, all other results where around 12.1-12.8 and the worst I measured was 13.1.

Reactions: Marko_33

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Sat navs, though, calculate your speed by constantly updating your exact location via global positioning satellites (GPS), measuring the distance travelled since your last co-ordinate and comparing it with the time taken. On a straight and level road, at constant speed, the GPS-derived speed reading will be accurate.

There is a difference, according to the VBox and Dragy makers, their speed detection via GPS doesn't operate like that. They're saying that it reads doppler shift on the satellite signal. Doppler shift is how Police radar measures your speed, it measures the return signals change in frequency rate and calculates the speed. But Police radar manufacturers only claim accuracy of plus or minus 3 km/h, I find it strange that VBox has a claimed accuracy of .1 km/h. That seems too good.
The best example of how this works is listening to a train horn as it approaches and increases in frequency, then the frequency falls as it travels away. that is doppler shift.
The speed shown by cellphones and Sat Navs is accurate to 1.5km/h, but is subject to variables like altitude change.

Mr Statistics 1990

Oct 5, 2019
So here is my latest 100-200kph with my new set up, new dyno figures are 391bhp 400ftlbs torque ish. 3 inch cat back added over the original exhaust and map tweak. This is before and after results of the dyno also aswel as the new dragy times. Cupra 280 5 door pan roof dsg.

Attachments

• 8644121F-165C-4FE0-917B-A91B4434959F.png
    8644121F-165C-4FE0-917B-A91B4434959F.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 225
  • E7FBA398-6AF8-4B13-AACE-8E40086589FC.png
    E7FBA398-6AF8-4B13-AACE-8E40086589FC.png
    252.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 49E20779-0753-401A-8B21-F49C4214E17C.jpeg
    49E20779-0753-401A-8B21-F49C4214E17C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 227