Cupra 300 vs Fiesta ST ?

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
My mate at work has a 69 plate fiesta ST

Absolutly great car, yes it's a Ford, but there's nothing really wrong with that now days.

Great fun cars, go for it !

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
what about an a class AMG ??? Never got a chance to test drive one.
We had one as a courtesy car a while ago. Not the full on AMG A45 model but it was AMG-line or whatever, think it was an A200. Was a cool car but seating position felt a bit weird and there were enough buttons on the steering wheel to rival an F-16 fighter jet. They're a bit of a hairdresser's car as well where I live.

Reactions: Wilkesy

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I have nothing against ford, and I was looking at getting a ford focus/fiesta when i was looking for my current car. However when I sat in one. (being 6ft 3) I couldn't get round why it felt like I was so far away from the front of the car. The car doesnt have a particularly long engine bay, but the cockpit doesnt seem to start until really far back.

If you look at the side profile of the two cars, the drivers seat is in the rear half, maybe even rear third of the car on the fiesta. Which for me gave me a very weird sensation whilst driving it. I didn tlike how far back I was. The problem felt even worse in the focus. The focus is bigger so it doesnt look as bad from the side. But if you look closely, the driver is definitely in the rear half of the car.

Both Seat And Ford have quite a shallow rake on the windscreen but the leon just felt a more balanced car and was nicer to drive for me.
2018-ford-fiesta-s_1.png
leon-5dr-cupra-side.jpg
941-9413299_ford-focus-rs-2018-side-view.jpg

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
So...

I will soon be able to answer this for you, my mate from work has allowed me to drive his fiesta ST, if he can drive my cupra.....

I've already been impressed by the ST fiesta from being in the passenger seat, so looking forward to driving it !

Reactions: silles

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've already been impressed by the ST fiesta from being in the passenger seat, so looking forward to driving it !

I don't know if I'd like to drive a Fiesta ST, it might make me really want one! They are supposed to be epic fun to drive although the suspension is rock hard. I drove a Focus ST I was thinking of buying, it was fast but didn't strike me as special other than that.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I don't know if I'd like to drive a Fiesta ST, it might make me really want one! They are supposed to be epic fun to drive although the suspension is rock hard. I drove a Focus ST I was thinking of buying, it was fast but didn't strike me as special other than that.
The previous generation (mk7) ST did have a really firm suspension. The current mk8 is meant to have a softer, more compliant ride, so it’s probably slightly less agile without quite the same degree of sharpness to the handling as the mk7 did, but the flip side would be that it’s easier to live with on a day to day basis - especially on poorer road surfaces.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Ah, I know little about the current ST. Except I thought the previous one looked a lot better?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
To go from a 4 cyl engine to a 3cyl....is that progress,especially as to durability?

There has been a change in what is considered progress. Economy and emissions now top the tree. Durability is way down the list.

The governments and tree huggers push for cars to be greener, buyers want them to be more economical. Manufacturers have also realised that they can build cars which are not very reliable in the long term and expensive to fix and people will still buy them. With more people leasing cars or selling them after a few years, the initial buyer just doesn't care about what happens in five years. Even on the used market, people buy cars on style and image etc doing very little research into how reliable the car is likely to be. I've seen astonishing instances of people have terrible problems with a brand new car yet going back to the same dealer and brand for the next one!

We get what we deserve. If we keep buying junk we'll be sold junk.

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Imagine if Ford had not fitted that weak plastic pipe? Which they are now replacing with a stronger item. The cars would have been more reliable but the inherent vulnerability of this architecture might not be understood. Water leaks in cooling systems can happen in any car, especially as they get older. Clips rust, pipes rot, but typically, your engine will overheat, steam flies out but you let it cool down, fix the leak and normal service has been resumed. Not with an Ecoboost it isn't.

There are plenty of examples where the plastic pipe was replaced and the engine still want bang. Also numerous examples of engines that never left the factory with the plastic pipe at all and still failing.

The issue is that the entire cooling system is not up to the job. They've taken the penny pinching way too far and now they have failures all over the place (ie not just with the plastic pipe).

Frankly, any company that is happy to saddle its customers with such a pile of excrement, then act as aggressively as Ford has in addressing (or more accurately goading and attacking) its customers deserves to go bust. I've got lawyers' letters from them when they sold me a knackered 6 month old ex demo Fiesta. This was two or three years ago. There's a reason why Ford are usually near or at the bottom of owner surveys.

The OP seems rather attached to the idea of a Ford, so I'm not too sure why others' views are being sought to just be dismissed - especially on a SEAT forum. I wish him luck. He may get a good one, but heaven help him if he doesn't.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My boss got a Toyota C-HR hybrid last year. He raves about how good the economy is etc but I looked it up. The thing gets worse mpg and is slower than my 1.6 tdi Leon! So..what's the point??

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.