Alcantara Steering Wheel

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
You could get a steering wheel from an R or R ST, they are micro suede. Will not be cheap.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Looks great, goes manky pretty quickly. Leather’s much better long term. No idea about the microsuede from the Cupra R, they could be more durable.

Oliver Stapleton

Oct 19, 2019
Worksop
The microsuede on mine is stuffed after nearly 20,000 Mi. Also I would think you won't be able to buy the R steering wheel to be honest. If you get it done you will probably need to replace every 10k.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@DOMINIC SELLY; compared to leather, the longevity of an alcantara steering wheel cover won’t be great. Unless you’re intending to wear gloves when you drive, the natural oils from your hands will be absorbed into the alcantara and it will get grubby quite quickly. I’m assuming It’s more of a breeding ground for germs too and more difficult to sanitise than a steering wheel with a smooth leather covering, which might be relevant and important to you in the current climate.

Alcantara is more grippy than leather and quite nice to hold but given the choice, if your car is a daily driver, I’d always go for a leather rimmed steering wheel as it’s a more practical option, longer lasting and much easier to keep clean.

DOMINIC SELLY

lcupra300
Mar 30, 2019
Kidderminster
@DOMINIC SELLY; compared to leather, the longevity of an alcantara steering wheel cover won’t be great. Unless you’re intending to wear gloves when you drive, the natural oils from your hands will be absorbed into the alcantara and it will get grubby quite quickly. I’m assuming It’s more of a breeding ground for germs too and more difficult to sanitise than a steering wheel with a smooth leather covering, which might be relevant and important to you in the current climate.

Alcantara is more grippy than leather and quite nice to hold but given the choice, if your car is a daily driver, I’d always go for a leather rimmed steering wheel as it’s a more practical option, longer lasting and much easier to keep clean.
Yeah I’ve seen this quite a lot. I think the idea of alcantara is good but think I’ll keep it as an idea

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
I believe the point of alcantara wheels is they are supposed to be for racing cars where you you would use gloves, this makes the wheel much more grippy and easy to hold on to. For every day use they are not great but you can get cleaners to keep them looking good.

I do agree they do look and feel good and would love one!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
What about something like this?: just one of several examples of part leather/part Alcantara retrims to be found on the Royal Steering Wheels website.

F30-SE-standard-no-paddles-Thicker-Thumb-grips-added-Flat-bottom-Perofrated-leather-on-siders-Black-Alcantara-top-bottom-Red-centre-stripe-Black-stitching.jpg

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
What about something like this?: just one of several examples of part leather/part Alcantara retrims to be found on the Royal Steering Wheels website.

F30-SE-standard-no-paddles-Thicker-Thumb-grips-added-Flat-bottom-Perofrated-leather-on-siders-Black-Alcantara-top-bottom-Red-centre-stripe-Black-stitching.jpg
That looks grim already, and it also looks like it is uneven, particularly on that bottom section. The left hand side seems to extend further than the right.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Had mine on my R ST for 10 months now, looks as good as new.
Cleaned it a couple of times with a warm cloth and it comes up like new every time.

Absolutely love the look and feel of it, was especially nice in winter not having a steering wheel cold to touch also.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.