Buying a mk3 Leon FR

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
Hi, I currently have a 16 plate 1.2 TSI Leon, I’ve always loved the Leon and fell in love with the cupra (but can’t not afford lol)
I’m looking for advice on what FR I should get as I have no clue what I’m looking for, although I’m trying to learn before I buy as I want a faster car, I don’t want to modify my current car.
I’ve been looking at 1.4 and 1.8 FRs, I know I want 5 door and petrol, but that’s about it
I also want to modify it, but I’m still learning, I have been googling some things and watching YouTube videos but can anyone possibly send me some links or videos that can improve my knowledge of modifications and what to look out for, sorry if this post is a bit vague, I assume this is the best place to come for advice, thankyou in advance :happy:

KV100

May 14, 2019
Hi, Ive had a 15 plate 1.4tsi FR technology for about 18 months now. Its the SC model and has 150HP. Ive noticed that the 1.4 comes in 3 variants, 110HP, 140HP and 150HP. I would recommend it as long as you don't mind having only 2 doors. (Only £20 tax as well.)

Reactions: Watts06

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of the 1.4 vs 1.8 tsi engines.

if you want to go fast, get the 1.8. It sounds like you want a Cupra though. Worth saving up for a few more months?

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of the 1.4 vs 1.8 tsi engines.

if you want to go fast, get the 1.8. It sounds like you want a Cupra though. Worth saving up for a few more months?
I’d do anything for a cupra but the insurance is also fairly expensive for me right now, I’ve been looking at all models and the only one I seem to be able to afford is an FR, but I think I will get one in the future when I have more money, thankyou :)

Reactions: Jazzjames

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What power is your 1.2? The 1.4 150 hp is the fastest 1.4 but it's not that fast. Well, it's quick but it doesn't feel that quick because the power delivery is so liniar and the power is up at the top the rev range. Be aware that not all 1.4 FRs have 150hp. Some have 140 and I think some only 135. Make sure you drive what you're looking at to make sure it delivers what you want.

I'm not saying do not modify your car. It's a free country and if that what you want to do then go for it but go into it with your eyes open. Many insurers won't insure modified cars, others will charge you more and if you fail to declare mods you can end up being denied a claim.

Modded cars are also harder to sell and you never get back the money you spent on mods. I wouldn't touch a modified car and a heck of a lot of people feel the same way. No matter how much you love your car, one day you're going to want to sell it. There is a reason why older people who've been around the block a few times tend not to modify cars!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Pretty sure the 1.4tsi is 125bhp with no ACT and 140 with ACT.

the 150bhp is the 1.5TSI which you certainly don’t want.

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
What power is your 1.2? The 1.4 150 hp is the fastest 1.4 but it's not that fast. Well, it's quick but it doesn't feel that quick because the power delivery is so liniar and the power is up at the top the rev range. Be aware that not all 1.4 FRs have 150hp. Some have 140 and I think some only 135. Make sure you drive what you're looking at to make sure it delivers what you want.

I'm not saying do not modify your car. It's a free country and if that what you want to do then go for it but go into it with your eyes open. Many insurers won't insure modified cars, others will charge you more and if you fail to declare mods you can end up being denied a claim.

Modded cars are also harder to sell and you never get back the money you spent on mods. I wouldn't touch a modified car and a heck of a lot of people feel the same way. No matter how much you love your car, one day you're going to want to sell it. There is a reason why older people who've been around the block a few times tend not to modify cars!
I’m pretty sure my Leon is 113bhp, I’m looking for a pretty noticeable upgrade which is why I’m more interested in the 1.8 but I’m looking online (and even on SEAT website) and there are next to no 1.8 FRs about, I don’t know if I’m looking in the wrong areas but I’m struggling to find any.

also I agree, I wouldn’t buy a modified car, the only mods I’m talking about are maybe new wheels and possibly a stage 1 remap, I wouldn’t change anything else as I have no clue what I’m doing so I’d end up breaking my own car lol

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I’m pretty sure my Leon is 113bhp, I’m looking for a pretty noticeable upgrade which is why I’m more interested in the 1.8

There are a few ways you could go. The engine you have is a free-revving sweet little engine. Yes, the 1.4 will give you more power but it's incremental. It may not be the big step you are looking for.

A totally different perspective would be a diesel. Which you'd prefer depends on how you like to drive. If you enjoy revving the nuts off your car then the petrols are for you. The diesels have similar power, just as fast, but they deliver the power in a very different way. You get a big dollop of torque from just under 2k to about 4k. You can really feel the pull but you need to change up smartly as the power falls off a cliff at 4k. If you like to keep the revs lower and have a bit of torque down there then you might like a diesel.

To be honest, the biggest difference going to an FR is the suspension. It's stiffer and lower but it's not the best sorted system in the world. Around town, where we spend most of our time, it's just plain annoying. Up the pace and it's a lot better, you can corner faster etc, but it's still not as composed as it should be. It's not bad but depending on where you spend most of your time and the state of your roads you might find it tiresome.

Once you go up to the 184 hp cars, either the petrol or diesel, you get the independent rear suspension which really does make a difference. Around town and on smoother roads it might not be all the obvious but start pushing the car and you find the back end much more composed and communicative. The car feels better balanced and alive.

If you just want a fun ride, what about an Ibiza? The Ibiza FR feels more lively and darty, feels quicker despite being slower, and is just more fun. Not so good on a long run but for short blast it's the funner option.

Watts06

May 28, 2020
UK
There are a few ways you could go. The engine you have is a free-revving sweet little engine. Yes, the 1.4 will give you more power but it's incremental. It may not be the big step you are looking for.

A totally different perspective would be a diesel. Which you'd prefer depends on how you like to drive. If you enjoy revving the nuts off your car then the petrols are for you. The diesels have similar power, just as fast, but they deliver the power in a very different way. You get a big dollop of torque from just under 2k to about 4k. You can really feel the pull but you need to change up smartly as the power falls off a cliff at 4k. If you like to keep the revs lower and have a bit of torque down there then you might like a diesel.

To be honest, the biggest difference going to an FR is the suspension. It's stiffer and lower but it's not the best sorted system in the world. Around town, where we spend most of our time, it's just plain annoying. Up the pace and it's a lot better, you can corner faster etc, but it's still not as composed as it should be. It's not bad but depending on where you spend most of your time and the state of your roads you might find it tiresome.

Once you go up to the 184 hp cars, either the petrol or diesel, you get the independent rear suspension which really does make a difference. Around town and on smoother roads it might not be all the obvious but start pushing the car and you find the back end much more composed and communicative. The car feels better balanced and alive.

If you just want a fun ride, what about an Ibiza? The Ibiza FR feels more lively and darty, feels quicker despite being slower, and is just more fun. Not so good on a long run but for short blast it's the funner option.
Man I have a lot to think about, I mean 2016 Cupras aren't too expensive, but insurance is quite high, that would be my decision if I had the money, I know I don’t want an Ibiza I’m not keen on the look, I really love the Leon but I just can’t find any 1.8 FRs anywhere (plus id have to take the finance route so I’m fairly limited) and I like revving the sh*t out of it so petrol is my preferred route, I guess I can’t be too picky with what I want lol, thank you for your time actually helped me a lot!

Reactions: Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
When I test drove a few Leons, Golfs and A3s, the 1.4 engines have decent torque, but the torque band is narrow and above that the engine doesn’t pull very convincingly in comparison to the 1.8. Both cars are good though.

I’m happy I got my 1.8, and the extra power and wider torque band feel good when I get to stretch its legs here on the autobahn. I’d be worried long term about the ACT’s reliability, but this is based on gut feeling rather than any facts!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Take your time, you'll find what you want. Sounds like the 1.8 is the buggy for you ;0)

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
Agreed sweetfr 2.0 190 a good option reasonably rare but only DSG. Never had a auto Myself always been manuals but loving the DSG and a bit of a sleeper. If not and you have to have a manual a good 1.8 would be ideal.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members