Leon 184 FR vs Golf GTD

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Planning on selling the 150 FR petrol and getting a 184 FR diesel. Which I figure is basically the same as the Golf GTD but a lot cheaper. Am I right?

I know the chassis, engine etc is the same but am I missing something? How different are the springs and dampers for instance?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't do any miles but I like the torque. I had a 150 Golf but it wasn't fast enough. I'd be looking at Cupras but they're still a pit pricy.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Just be careful with a 184 then. It has a DPF that needs to regen occasionally. They work though. I ran my finger round the inside of the exhaust pipes on mine the other day and there was literally NOTHING on my finger after 52,000 miles. I couldn't believe it :blink:.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I only do 7000 miles a year in a 184 TDI DSG and I just make sure I go on plenty of long runs when I can and give the DPF a blast. Had the light come on a few times but a drive out has sorted it each time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay5959

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think the DPF issues is overstated. I don't think they're as fragile as some suggest and even if they do block up I think you'd be able to remove it and clean it out.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Planning on selling the 150 FR petrol and getting a 184 FR diesel. Which I figure is basically the same as the Golf GTD but a lot cheaper. Am I right?

I know the chassis, engine etc is the same but am I missing something? How different are the springs and dampers for instance?

Once you’ve located a decent example of each, get a test drive of both so you can evaluate and compare them.

I’d anticipate most dealers will be offering unaccompanied test drives because of social distancing so you won’t be pestered by the usual salesperson’s patter, which should help make it easier for you to form your own view of which you prefer. Dealers may also be keen to do a deal just now, bearing in mind they’ll have sold very few cars in recent months.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I found the GTD to be a little fussier and try hard than the Leon in how it drives and the noise a bit more synthetic in the cabin. That’s comparing my Leon Pre facelift with a MK7.5 GTD. 1 other thing to bear in mind is how much more expensive the Golf is to buy

Reactions: Mr Pig

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Buy a dpf delete from dsrkside and get it remapped

Theyre deletes also look like a dpf is still in place so no problems come mot time youl get more power and not have to worry about it clogging

Im in the process of sorting out my dpf delete for the wifes q3

Someone will be along saying how wrong I am and that it's a mot fail

My old pd170 with a dpf delete passed mot year after year no problem at all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I had a 2.0TDI 150 DSG prior, did 8k miles in 24 months. Got the car at 2k miles 14 months old. Usually a London city car with occasional short blast to heathrow, somewhere far like York or Bristol. Never had the dpf light come on, but it did on many occasions do regens, even few times after parking up (fans still ran like crazy for a good 5-10 mins after) and gave me a scare, but from this forum, I realised this was normal. It only drank Shell and Esso regular diesel with occasional Shell VPower Diesel, no supermarket diesel (as advised not to use by the person who handed over the car at the dealer). If you don't have regular less than 10 min journey in the city, all the time, I think you should be fine. Bear in mind my city journies was at least 20+ mins each time, either in traffic or clear road early weekend mornings.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
As with those above, I haven’t driven the gtd but now I’ve had the clutch issues sorted on my 184, I’m more than happy with how the car performs. It costs sod all to run and is a lot of fun. Assuming the price difference is due to a slightly better quality of interior and finish on the gtd, but in my opinion doesn’t seem worth the extra few grand for the gtd. Have fun with the car search mate!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I found the GTD to be a little fussier and try hard than the Leon in how it drives and the noise a bit more synthetic in the cabin.

Interesting. Could you elaborate? You preferred the way the Leon drove?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Have fun with the car search mate!

Not looking yet. We've bought a facelift FR estate but we haven't got it yet, dealer doing some work on it. Once we get that I'll sell the 150 TSi FR and then I can look for a new car. Just trying to do a bit of homework first, decide whether to get the Leon or a Golf. Had both, like both but not in 184 diesel flavor.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Not looking yet. We've bought a facelift FR estate but we haven't got it yet, dealer doing some work on it. Once we get that I'll sell the 150 TSi FR and then I can look for a new car. Just trying to do a bit of homework first, decide whether to get the Leon or a Golf. Had both, like both but not in 184 diesel flavor.
Ah sorry mate, I should have read your original post more carefully. Have fun with the search when your fr has been sold!

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Interesting. Could you elaborate? You preferred the way the Leon drove?

I just found it trying too hard in its ride and setup and it’s engine noise was just gruffer. The tech is fantastic but it’s 2 years old and mines 5. Mine felt easier to drive and less fussy

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've got the 184 ST and really like it.

Certainly not as well finished inside as a Golf but that's what you pay extra for.

Power and torque - Has a nice pick up from about 2500 to 4500 revs. As mine is the ST and is usually loaded with something, it's punchy but not that punchy. I've just had a DTUK tuning box fitted and it's now about 210bhp and that feels so much better. Serious belt of torque from 2500 and really comes to life after 3000. This puts it on a par with the Golf GTD in my view. No idea on top end - when I first bought it (pre-chip) it got to about 130 but not tried anything since. Not that it really matters.

DPF - Although I was doing 20,000 miles a year, a lot of it changed to more rural roads, speed limits and rarely reaching 60mph. The car tends to regen every 170-200 miles. In 2 years and 40,000 miles the car has never had the DPF light come on. If you are on the motorway (or around 60-70mph) you won't notice the regen. Town driving you'll get the higher tickover, stop-start turns off and you can sometimes smell it. Ideally, you want to complete a regen before turning off, otherwise the fan goes mental trying to cool everything down. The car will try to finish the regen the next time everything is warmed back up. The best thing I did was get the Carista dongle and app. I can then see in real time when the DPF is about to or undertaking a regen. You just keep driving the car until it's complete and cooled everything down. Helps you also monitor how often the car regens, mileage since last regen etc. If the DPF light comes on, then yes, take it for a spin. It is however, telling you that the car needs a regen and isn't able to through normal driving.

Carista

MPG - I get 50-55mpg driving mine normally and on the M6 in 50mph roadworks it gave me 60+. Since fitting the chip, I now get 55-60+ mpg on my usual routes. It's like some sort of black magic! Even if I drive the car hard, I'm still around 40mpg.

Fuel - Very subjective but it does seem to like V-Power. I do stick in regular diesel and have an additive (allegedly the same stuff used in the posh fuels) that I add to try and keep it sweet. The additive works out at about £1 a tank rather than the V-Power £5.

Spec - I have the Tech Pack - absolutely essential and I think most 184's would have it. Also have convenience pack, which is nice. Not got the winter pack and sometimes I do wish I had heated seats. Of the 3, I'm happy with the 2 I have.

Driving - can't really comment or compare, but I think it handles well and from what I've read elsewhere, the 184 has bigger brakes and multilink suspension compared to 150 cars. Not saying this is gospel as I was reading another post.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/leon-fr-150-or-leon-fr-184.438648/

I like how it handles and tyre choice seems to have a massive impact on handling and road noise. Currently have RainSports up front and they work well for me and are due a change after 22,000 miles. Those with bigger budgets may well aim higher.

The known niggles:

• Heater matrix clogging (split silicant bag in header tank)
  • Rear shocks
  • Water pump failure
Mine is 2014 with 100,000 miles. I am sure you would be looking at a newer version and the above issues may not be relevant.

Personally, a 184 (chipped or not) is a great car. Won't break the bank, has some good power but can equally be driven very sensibly for 50-55mpg comsumption. A chip or remap does make it 100% better and more on par with other sporty types.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.