5dr Spacers and Springs

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
Greetings all the way from Egypt!

I own a 5dr hatch that came with 17s as standard (SE?). I wanted to change the wheels but could only go with 18s because of the seriously crappy roads over here. The wheels are 18x8j with a ET45.

I'm looking to close that nasty wheel gap and have a nice stance without the wheels poking out too much. How much should I go with the spacers and the springs? Keeping in mind how bad the roads are here and the fact that the car is an SE, so standard bumpers and no side skirts. Along with the 18s, going too low would look quite odd.

I attached a pic, forgive me if it's not the best thing ever :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20200620-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20200620-WA0020.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 188

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Springs wise, I personally have Eibach Sportlines, but only because the Eibach Pro Kit was not available for my car. So I think a Pro kit would be better. Not as low as the Sportlines, but will give you a good drop and work with the dampers.

As for spacers. I'm running 8" rims with a ET50, but a 10mm spacer at the front (Effectively ET40), and eventually a 10mm spacer at the rear (I had 15 mn the front and the 10 on the rear but they rubbed at the front).

So I would think a 5mm spacer would be find, however 8mm is the lowest you can go and remain hubcentric. That being said, if you're not going as low due to the Pro Kit lowering springs AND you're tyres would be as wide (if only 225) or as square a fitting (Not all 225 tyres will be the same actual width), then you'd likely get away with 8mm front and rear.

Having said all that, plenty of others run 12mm front and 18mm rear on none lowered Cupras, so effectively ET38 and ET35 on 8" rims.

Reactions: Omar Makki

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
Springs wise, I personally have Eibach Sportlines, but only because the Eibach Pro Kit was not available for my car. So I think a Pro kit would be better. Not as low as the Sportlines, but will give you a good drop and work with the dampers.

As for spacers. I'm running 8" rims with a ET50, but a 10mm spacer at the front (Effectively ET40), and eventually a 10mm spacer at the rear (I had 15 mn the front and the 10 on the rear but they rubbed at the front).

So I would think a 5mm spacer would be find, however 8mm is the lowest you can go and remain hubcentric. That being said, if you're not going as low due to the Pro Kit lowering springs AND you're tyres would be as wide (if only 225) or as square a fitting (Not all 225 tyres will be the same actual width), then you'd likely get away with 8mm front and rear.

Having said all that, plenty of others run 12mm front and 18mm rear on none lowered Cupras, so effectively ET38 and ET35 on 8" rims.
Forgive my ignorance Damo, but how low is the pro kit?

I've been following the forums, and I noticed most recommending a setup of 10mm spacers in the front and 12 or 15mm in the rear on lowered Cupras. I've used some online calculators, but I thought my wheels with that ET would be almost in the same position as a stock Cupra wheel with a 235 tire?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Forgive my ignorance Damo, but how low is the pro kit?

I've been following the forums, and I noticed most recommending a setup of 10mm spacers in the front and 12 or 15mm in the rear on lowered Cupras. I've used some online calculators, but I thought my wheels with that ET would be almost in the same position as a stock Cupra wheel with a 235 tire?

Stock Cupra wheels are 8” wide and ET50.
Cupra R ST wheels are 8” wide and ET45
Cupra R 5 door wheels are 8” wide and ET40.

So your wheels are 5mm further our than a standard Cupra or the same as the Cupra R ST offset. Bare in mind Cupra R’s have different suspension setup at the front and rear with more camber.

If you want a good way to get a visual idea and avoid the maths yourself, you can check this site out:

As for tyre size, 2 tyres that are 235/35 R19 will be different between manufacturers.
I generally find that the more premium
tyres like Michelin, Continental and Goodyear are wider (or squarer relative to the wheel) than cheaper makes such as Falken and Toyo.

As yours will possibly be 235/40 R18, it adds another dimension difference to consider when thinking spacers.

As for the lowering. It depends on what your car actual is as stock. I can only really comment on a Cupra.

Cupra and FRs I believe are 10mm lower as standard compared to other models. Pro Kit does a further 10/15mm, the Sportlines are 25mm.

However you are better checking Eibachs own site for your model.

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
Stock Cupra wheels are 8” wide and ET50.
Cupra R ST wheels are 8” wide and ET45
Cupra R 5 door wheels are 8” wide and ET40.

So your wheels are 5mm further our than a standard Cupra or the same as the Cupra R ST offset. Bare in mind Cupra R’s have different suspension setup at the front and rear with more camber.

If you want a good way to get a visual idea and avoid the maths yourself, you can check this site out:

As for tyre size, 2 tyres that are 235/35 R19 will be different between manufacturers.
I generally find that the more premium
tyres like Michelin, Continental and Goodyear are wider (or squarer relative to the wheel) than cheaper makes such as Falken and Toyo.

As yours will possibly be 235/40 R18, it adds another dimension difference to consider when thinking spacers.

As for the lowering. It depends on what your car actual is as stock. I can only really comment on a Cupra.

Cupra and FRs I believe are 10mm lower as standard compared to other models. Pro Kit does a further 10/15mm, the Sportlines are 25mm.

However you are better checking Eibachs own site for your model.
I remember using a different site to calculate, and I ended up with the conclusion that the tire position would be the same. Keeping in mind, my tire size is a 225/40 vs 235/35 for the Cupra.

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
I would fit some Eibach Pro Kit springs. All the other options will be too low for poor quality roads
As my car isn't factory lowered like the FR and Cupra, I figure this will bring the car down 25 to 30mm. My question is, how would that look on 18s with that offset? I've seen some setups on 18s lowered 35mm that made the wheels look pretty small. Add to that the change in camber... I didnt like that look at all.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Appreciate you putting in the effort to take screenshots. I guess, I'm worse with numbers than I thought. :) I was about to go and order 10 and 15 mm spacers, good that I didnt as I dont want any sort of rubbing. I will have to reconsider my options as I only want to go hubcentric.

Thanks mate!
With a modest drop, and your narrower tyres (225) I think 8mm would be fine. But my advice, is get it lowered first.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
As my car isn't factory lowered like the FR and Cupra, I figure this will bring the car down 25 to 30mm. My question is, how would that look on 18s with that offset? I've seen some setups on 18s lowered 35mm that made the wheels look pretty small. Add to that the change in camber... I didnt like that look at all.
It will look lovely any lower and it’s not my cup of tea plus with these poor roads you say you have i wouldn’t considering going and more. The Eibach Pro Kit is the least drop you will acheive with aftermarket springs. If deemed too low your other option is stock FR springs but still looks a little 4x4

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
It will look lovely any lower and it’s not my cup of tea plus with these poor roads you say you have i wouldn’t considering going and more. The Eibach Pro Kit is the least drop you will acheive with aftermarket springs. If deemed too low your other option is stock FR springs but still looks a little 4x4
Hahaha. You got me at that "it will look lovely" part. You reckon I should go with different heights front and rear, or should I stick to the same height all round?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hahaha. You got me at that "it will look lovely" part. You reckon I should go with different heights front and rear, or should I stick to the same height all round?
The pro kit drops the front 5mm more than the rear which is a decent look, nose down a tad always looks better

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
Guys,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've been looking for spacers and as Damo mentioned, 5mm wouldnt be hubcentric. My question is, if I go with the 5mm, would there still be enough room for the wheel to sit on the hub? If yes, then is it safe to go that route or is it a complete no to go with the lugcentric spacers?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Guys,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've been looking for spacers and as Damo mentioned, 5mm wouldnt be hubcentric. My question is, if I go with the 5mm, would there still be enough room for the wheel to sit on the hub? If yes, then is it safe to go that route or is it a complete no to go with the lugcentric spacers?
Akthough the 5mm doesn't take up the full hub, as the wheel have a tapered edge (to make it easier to get them on the hub) its still too big a spacer.

So you will need Spigot extensions.

Omar Makki

May 9, 2020
Akthough the 5mm doesn't take up the full hub, as the wheel have a tapered edge (to make it easier to get them on the hub) its still too big a spacer.

So you will need Spigot extensions.
Fair enough... Thanks Damo.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise