Rear coilover height confusion

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Hey chaps, hope everyones been making most of this weather!

So I have an issue with my rear D/S coilover, ive adjusted it to raise it 4 times to match the other side, but it hasnt budged.

Have i missed a step? Im not sure why it isnt raising, im threading the collar up the threads and the other adjusted fine the same way.

(P.s im jacking it from the sides to keep pressure off the shocks)

Cheers!
C

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I can see its threaded now half way up, whereas the other side is 1 thread from the bottom.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I may have a spare pair off rear adjusters I will have a look on Monday when I go to work don’t know if they will be any good for you if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I may have a spare pair off rear adjusters I will have a look on Monday when I go to work don’t know if they will be any good for you if needed

Thanks.

It’s weird, Must be at least an inch+ higher on the threads but it hasn’t moved in height at all after 4 adjustments.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Were the springs the same length before you fitted em? Did you check them side by side?

A mistake ive made in the past.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Were the springs the same length before you fitted em? Did you check them side by side?

A mistake ive made in the past.

Not consciously but I had everything laid out side by side (I like to be organised lol) and didn’t see any differences. Guess it’s possible

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Hows the gaps at the front end? Top of arch to floor both sides.

maciek.snow

Mar 21, 2016
Poland, Krakow
2 things might be wrong, are your springs second hand ? if so, the wear might be different ( had that in my altea with front coilover springs , one side had to be adjusted way more than the other. Left spring was in worse condition than the right side, so left side needed to be adjusted 2cm higher than the other side to keep the same level, in addition the damper was leaking as well. so i would check both, the damper and the springs. Even try to put weight on both springs, see if they resist the same way.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
2 things might be wrong, are your springs second hand ? if so, the wear might be different ( had that in my altea with front coilover springs , one side had to be adjusted way more than the other. Left spring was in worse condition than the right side, so left side needed to be adjusted 2cm higher than the other side to keep the same level, in addition the damper was leaking as well. so i would check both, the damper and the springs. Even try to put weight on both springs, see if they resist the same way.

No damper leak as ive had them fitted for a few weeks and have been up close with them. They are 2nd hand, so its possible the springs are un evenly worn, but they didnt do much work before i got them so im not sure.

Thanks for the advice so far chaps.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
55e05f29852825e794714e3298a480b9.jpg

I do still have them the reason why I removed them from my car is the front was leaking and the rear was missing one off the rings that hold it in the subframe and no tool to adjust them if you need them you can have them if they are any good to you

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
55e05f29852825e794714e3298a480b9.jpg

I do still have them the reason why I removed them from my car is the front was leaking and the rear was missing one off the rings that hold it in the subframe and no tool to adjust them if you need them you can have them if they are any good to you

Nice one mate, im going to get the car up on stands again this week and a good root around see whats happening down there. Will let you know
cheers

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
No damper leak as ive had them fitted for a few weeks and have been up close with them. They are 2nd hand, so its possible the springs are un evenly worn, but they didnt do much work before i got them so im not sure.

Thanks for the advice so far chaps.
Extra work i know but maybe swap them over and see if the car leans the other way?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Update:

Went and adjusted it more no difference , other rear side raised just fine.

had a look around.

Only visual difference I could find was the top bushes in the rear
ce58839626788332a36d22be7843861d.jpg

6af3f60fb76d30ad96d341a05cc857a3.jpg

It’s visibly deforming more, not sure if it’s fitted wrong?

Tomorrow I’m hopefully going to take the rear shocks and springs out and check, compare and reinstall them.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Rear suspension off

Shocks and springs all same length

Still no closer to figuring out what’s wrong and why it’s not adjusting.

3cb1acabd238a4fd778c2e5cf3399545.jpg

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Swap em round and see.
I reckon springs, cant think itd be anything else ( unless a shock absorber is bottoming out but cant see it somehow).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members