Remap

Sep 13, 2020
Hi everyone,

first post here, just looking for some opinions and knowledge really.

I have a 17 plate Leon FR 1.4 tsi, 123 BHP.

I am by no means a car fanatic, but I would like a bit more zip to it.

I have seen a ‘stage 1 remap’ for £360 which would increase my BhP from 123 to 187 and increase my torque from 147 to 215.

I know nothing really about this sort of thing so forgive me if I sound stupid, but is this doing this at all dangerous to the car? How reliable are remaps? And are they legal?

I read an article that said a lot of cars are tuned to perform at less than the engines capability which means in some cases a remap is perfectly safe as it is just altering the engine to perform better but still within its means. Is this correct?

thanks in advance for any replies.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They are legal as long as you notify your insurance company.

a remap will bring a new lease of life to your car, will be night and day performance wise.

they do however add certain strain to components, instead of your turbo working 75% of capacity it will now be working at 95-100% of its capacity. This can increase turbo wear so could eventually lead to premature turbo failure.

will also increase wear to items such as clutch / flywheel/ gearbox, running gear. You may also go through tyres quicker.

it’s all a trade-off if you want the extra power with it comes extra risk. All depends if you want to take that risk.

im in the same situation i have been offered a dsg remap and ecu remap for £320 off a friend who works for a tuning company but i have not yet made my mind up.

Reactions: Alpha_H10

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.

We'd also send you a free goody bag too for just getting a quotation at the moment.

Regards,

Dan.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Is it just me or the power increase from 123 to 187 seems a bit steep? Always thought it was the 1.4 ACTs that woudl do 148 to around the 190 mark, and the 123s would go to around the 150s mark...
Oh just found it as I was curious:

Sep 13, 2020
Is it just me or the power increase from 123 to 187 seems a bit steep? Always thought it was the 1.4 ACTs that woudl do 148 to around the 190 mark, and the 123s would go to around the 150s mark...
Oh just found it as I was curious:

I don’t know enough about it to know if it is steep or not to be honest. The link you attached is for a Golf, I have a Leon, this is the link I was looking at https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/comp...remap-chiptuning/stage-1?year=2017#t3-content

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Most vag petrol turbos make an extra 1/3 on horse power when remmaped. Apr and revo make best numbers for a reputable ganeric map.

wakaguaka

Oct 20, 2017
They are legal as long as you notify your insurance company.

a remap will bring a new lease of life to your car, will be night and day performance wise.

they do however add certain strain to components, instead of your turbo working 75% of capacity it will now be working at 95-100% of its capacity. This can increase turbo wear so could eventually lead to premature turbo failure.

will also increase wear to items such as clutch / flywheel/ gearbox, running gear. You may also go through tyres quicker.

it’s all a trade-off if you want the extra power with it comes extra risk. All depends if you want to take that risk.

im in the same situation i have been offered a dsg remap and ecu remap for £320 off a friend who works for a tuning company but i have not yet made my mind up.
Hello BigJase,
Sorry to hijack your thread Alpha, but I was wondering you could give me an estimate of a catastrophic failure if I want to remap my car as well?
I don't know too much about cars either, but I have always wanted more power hehehe

let's say I get a premature turbo failure, how much would that be?
In pounds, usd, or whatever currency fits for you (I will do the conversion anyways, I am from Mexico).
I am thinking in APR since there is a distributor in my city (and it seems it has a good reputation). If you need a precise model for a better estimate, plz consider a Leon Cupra 2015 (265HP stock).

Regards,

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hello BigJase,
Sorry to hijack your thread Alpha, but I was wondering you could give me an estimate of a catastrophic failure if I want to remap my car as well?
I don't know too much about cars either, but I have always wanted more power hehehe

let's say I get a premature turbo failure, how much would that be?
In pounds, usd, or whatever currency fits for you (I will do the conversion anyways, I am from Mexico).
I am thinking in APR since there is a distributor in my city (and it seems it has a good reputation). If you need a precise model for a better estimate, plz consider a Leon Cupra 2015 (265HP stock).

Regards,
New turbo your talking £1000-1500 fitted for a genuine one, maybe more

• Wow
Reactions: wakaguaka
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.