Which battery charger?

KV100

May 14, 2019
I would just bite the bullet and get a new battery. If its started playing up, it probably wont be long before it fails completely. You don't want it failing when you are miles away from home.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have Ctek chargers from my sponsor When I competed i car stereo/demo with no problems

Good for you, nothing wrong with being patriotic!

Of course there are Aston Martin and others around, which are just CTEK chargers in a bigger more expensive casing.

On the subject of design stability and/or reliability, CTEK have been manufacturing these chargers for a lot longer than 5 - 6 years, Ring and others, on the other hand were quite a bit later into this compact efficient smart charger/maintainer or charger/maintainer/support units.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks everyone.

I finally ordered this one:

It was a toss up between the Noco and the CTEK.

That is fair enough, if you have never bumped into it, you should check up on their compact jump packs, ie the capacitor based ones, some good reviews on youtube - maybe more entertaining than informative, but proves that these compact jump packs can work very well, the North American/Canadian reviews are best - or at least one of them was!

Reactions: BillyCool

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I use a Nice Genius 5, too. Great bit of kit, no complaints at all. 5A is enough to charge a battery reasonably quickly as well as trickle charge one.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
@Woody_72 & @Brian Gordon-Stables - Picked up the Noco Genius5 today. Have either of you fitted the lead permanently using the eyelets? Just wondering whether the negative goes on the battery or onto a nearby earthing point.

Assuming you have a stop/start battery the charger negative should never go straight onto the battery terminal. There should be an earthing point on the bulkhead close to the battery. Use that.

Reactions: SteveGSXR600K1

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Assuming you have a stop/start battery the charger negative should never go straight onto the battery terminal. There should be an earthing point on the bulkhead close to the battery. Use that.
Thanks Brian, that's what I thought would be the better option. I was asking as the manual says connect it to the - terminal, but other chargers like the CTEK's say mount it to an earth point.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Thanks Brian, that's what I thought would be the better option. I was asking as the manual says connect it to the - terminal, but other chargers like the CTEK's say mount it to an earth point.

The charger can also charge `normal` batteries, so it might not distinguish between one or the other.

The earth point is certainly the recommended way to do it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.