YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Hi all,

I need some help. I have a Leon Fr 2014 184 Diesel. The issue I am facing is that my car alerts me to check the oil level (via YELLOW WARNING TRIANGLE) every month. The time period between each time I get an alert is like 25 - 32 days (sometimes 35). And every time I check the oil level, it is just over minimum on the dipstick. I am not even racking a lot of miles in the month. I do maybe 1100 /month, 700 of those are motorway miles. This should not be an issue for a diesel car.

I am not sure what the issue can be, I have looked online for some answers but not really found an answer or anyone with an exact or common issue.

I can see no visible leak on the ground when I move the car after overnight parking. Nor is my car giving out blue/grey smoke through exhaust.

If anyone knows of this issue or has come across it then can you please help me out here with some answers please.

PS. The car has 133000 on the clock. And it used to be a company car and used to do motorway journeys a lot. Hence the 133k since 2014.

Thanks.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have the same 2014 184 on 107,000 miles. If my oil get's anywhere the min level the light comes on.

The car seems to use a bit of oil, particularly during DPF regens and it seems quite normal. Other people have made similar comments. Even if I do an oil change (I do one every 5000 miles) and have the oil at 3/4, I'll get an oil light after maybe 3000 miles. I just top it up.

If there are no visible leaks or smoke out of the exhaust, I really wouldn't worry. I would just keep the oil nearer to 3/4 and check/top up every 3,000 miles or so.

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
I have the same 2014 184 on 107,000 miles. If my oil get's anywhere the min level the light comes on.

The car seems to use a bit of oil, particularly during DPF regens and it seems quite normal. Other people have made similar comments. Even if I do an oil change (I do one every 5000 miles) and have the oil at 3/4, I'll get an oil light after maybe 3000 miles. I just top it up.

If there are no visible leaks or smoke out of the exhaust, I really wouldn't worry. I would just keep the oil nearer to 3/4 and check/top up every 3,000 miles or so.

Hi,

Mine just gets low on oil in that 25-35 day period I mentioned. And in that period I have only done like 1100 miles. You are being told by your car to check or top up oil every 3000 odd miles? Where as I am getting it at like 1000+ miles.

That is why I am a bit sceptical. I do not know if this is normal. Top up around 3000 miles sounds okay and a lot better than my situation.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

Mine just gets low on oil in that 25-35 day period I mentioned. And in that period I have only done like 1100 miles. You are being told by your car to check or top up oil every 3000 odd miles? Where as I am getting it at like 1000+ miles.

That is why I am a bit sceptical. I do not know if this is normal. Top up around 3000 miles sounds okay and a lot better than my situation.

Sorry - I wasn't clear on what your oil level is like to start with. Is it on full and then on min 1000 miles later?

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Sorry - I wasn't clear on what your oil level is like to start with. Is it on full and then on min 1000 miles later?

Hi,

Yes, well I got oil change done and after 25 days it told me to check oil again. And it was on bottom of dipstick. I had not done more than 1100 miles since after the oil change.

So that's why I'm thinking there is an issue?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

Yes, well I got oil change done and after 25 days it told me to check oil again. And it was on bottom of dipstick. I had not done more than 1100 miles since after the oil change.

So that's why I'm thinking there is an issue?

Yeah I understand that but how much oil went back in after the oil change? What was reading on the dipstick? Was it full? When I change my oil I never overfill and usually don't put enough in, so mine drops to min (and oil light) after a while.

Another thing could be the DPF is getting tired and doing lots of regens? That can affect oil levels? Do you have anything that monitors your DPF ash/soot levels?

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Yeah I understand that but how much oil went back in after the oil change? What was reading on the dipstick? Was it full? When I change my oil I never overfill and usually don't put enough in, so mine drops to min (and oil light) after a while.

Another thing could be the DPF is getting tired and doing lots of regens? That can affect oil levels? Do you have anything that monitors your DPF ash/soot levels?

Hi,

When oil change was done back in december 2020 it was filled to max level, not over filled. And then it dropped to minimum around 1100 miles.

And I doubt it is DPF because my long journey shouldn't let the soot build up much. And I had garage check my DPF. It was fine.

Reactions: BillyCool

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

When oil change was done back in december 2020 it was filled to max level, not over filled. And then it dropped to minimum around 1100 miles.

And I doubt it is DPF because my long journey shouldn't let the soot build up much. And I had garage check my DPF. It was fine.

Ok - understood. In that case, it's using a lot of oil.

Silly question but they are using the right oil?

A leak around the turbo can sometimes burn oil. Any extra smoke or sooty deposit on tail pipe?

Ref the DPF - it's designed to accumulate soot until a trigger point and then regen. Doesn't matter whether it's a long or short journey. Mine usually regens every 180 miles or so. Soot will build up because that's what it's designed to do. Long journeys make no difference in that respect. Once it does a regen, a small amount of oil ash residue sits in the DPF forever. Once that reaches a certain level the DPF needs replacing (or maybe cleaning). On higher mileage cars, as the DPF get's full of oil ash residue it becomes less efficient and regens more and tends to use more oil, until if finally dies.

My car on 106,000 miles claims to have 42.1 grams of oil ash residue, which is apparently 53%. That suggests that at 100% it's knackered but I'm not sure that's an entirely true calculation. As yours is on 133,000 I would expect the DPF to be `more full`.

When the garage checked your DPF, what did they check? Did they record your oil ash residue levels?

I've also read about leaks around piston rings, head gasket issues and other possible reasons for oil loss.

Would be good to understand a bit more about your DPF though.

Reactions: Mr Pig

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Ok - understood. In that case, it's using a lot of oil.

Silly question but they are using the right oil?

A leak around the turbo can sometimes burn oil. Any extra smoke or sooty deposit on tail pipe?

Ref the DPF - it's designed to accumulate soot until a trigger point and then regen. Doesn't matter whether it's a long or short journey. Mine usually regens every 180 miles or so. Soot will build up because that's what it's designed to do. Long journeys make no difference in that respect. Once it does a regen, a small amount of oil ash residue sits in the DPF forever. Once that reaches a certain level the DPF needs replacing (or maybe cleaning). On higher mileage cars, as the DPF get's full of oil ash residue it becomes less efficient and regens more and tends to use more oil, until if finally dies.

My car on 106,000 miles claims to have 42.1 grams of oil ash residue, which is apparently 53%. That suggests that at 100% it's knackered but I'm not sure that's an entirely true calculation. As yours is on 133,000 I would expect the DPF to be `more full`.

When the garage checked your DPF, what did they check? Did they record your oil ash residue levels?

I've also read about leaks around piston rings, head gasket issues and other possible reasons for oil loss.

Would be good to understand a bit more about your DPF though.

Hi,

I need to get the turbo looked at, as the garage I took my car to saw some oil just under where the turbo is.

And I got a new DPF in my car, it isn't the same one that came with the car. So I don't think it is DPF.

I don't see any extra smoke or soot around tail pipe, or at least the garage didn't. But getting this issue looked at means it is gonna cost me quite a bit labor time and then repair cost when they find what's wrong. Also I use Quantum 5w30 or Shell helix 5w30. Out of the two Shell lasted 5 or 6 days longer.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hi,

I need to get the turbo looked at, as the garage I took my car to saw some oil just under where the turbo is.

And I got a new DPF in my car, it isn't the same one that came with the car. So I don't think it is DPF.

I don't see any extra smoke or soot around tail pipe, or at least the garage didn't. But getting this issue looked at means it is gonna cost me quite a bit labor time and then repair cost when they find what's wrong. Also I use Quantum 5w30 or Shell helix 5w30. Out of the two Shell lasted 5 or 6 days longer.

Ok. Helpful to know that you have a new DPF!

If it's a leak around your turbo then that might be expensive. If the oil is going via the turbo that's not good either as your nice new DPF is getting coated with oil.

The oil probably doesn't make any difference. As long as it's 507.00 spec you'll be fine.

I do think that you have some sort of leak and/or excessive consumption that certainly needs looking at, particularly if it's around the turbo. Sadly, if it is that, it won't be cheap.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: YKFR

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Not sure if this will help but as a general rule of thumb most manufacturers will deem oil usage of 1 litre of oil to a 1000 miles as norma - if you are needing to top up after 3000 miles then you really have nothing to worry about. ?

The OP appears to be going from full to oil light in 1000 miles. That's the query.

I'm the one topping up after 3,000 miles and I'm quite happy with that. (y)

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My oil light came on last year - out of the blue driving home late at night - on investigation I found the sump plug wasn't tight! I was the one to do the previous oil change so no one else to blame! :( but I was sure I did the sump plug up tight, and couldn't see any oil dripping on the drive due to the under-tray!

I hope it's not! but there is a thread on a Skoda forum about our engine which had piston issues!

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
My oil light came on last year - out of the blue driving home late at night - on investigation I found the sump plug wasn't tight! I was the one to do the previous oil change so no one else to blame! :( but I was sure I did the sump plug up tight, and couldn't see any oil dripping on the drive due to the under-tray!

I hope it's not! but there is a thread on a Skoda forum about our engine which had piston issues!

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I'll have a look at the Skoda forum too.

I topped my oil and this time after doing around 1100 miles, I have had to top up about 800 ml. I recorded what mileage my car was on when I topped up, will see what mileage it is on when next top up needed.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I lost a litre of oil years ago when I forgot to put the filler cap back on and the engine threw oil out all over the engine bay! Amazing thing was I drove thirty miles and the cap was still sitting where I'd left it on top of the engine.

Wayne.mead

May 2, 2021

Reactions: BillyCool

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
My 184 FR burns oil. I check it every month or so and top up as needed. The low oil level cam on once a few years ago - I topped it up and no issues since.

Most diesels I've had burn oil - Leon's seem to be no exception!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The brand of oil can make a big difference. If you are losing significant oil and not finding and cause try another brand next time. I use OEM oil in our diesels and don't lose oil.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I ran my diesel -now daughters around 120k-on 0-30 low ash oil from Total, I bought it bulk for work (1000l) at much much cheapness, never any problems with usage, I’d try a different brand to see if that makes any difference to useage.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members