Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

This is CUPRA’s hybrid Formentor. It comes with 245PS and 400NM of torque. It has an electric range of 34 miles, does 0-60 in 7 seconds and has a top speed of 130mph. It is powered by a 1.4-litre TSI engine mated with a 12.8 (usable) kWh capacity Lithium-ion battery. Transmission is in the form of a 6-speed automatic in the version we have here and it is CUPRA’s Magnetic Grey colour with Black Leather and copper stitching upholstery. We’ll provide the full specification at the end of the review.

We loved the petrol 310 model giving it our highest review score so far. Read on to find out what we thought of the e-Hybrid.

Verdict
The Formentor e-HYBRID looks great and is well kitted out. In terms of performance, it promises the best of both worlds, but sadly the hybrid setup provides a compromise we couldn’t live with day-to-day. If you can, we strongly...

Continue reading...

Cipper

May 8, 2021
So the dude doesnt know how to put the car in sports mode? One extra tap and there you go. Car always defaults on electric

Reactions: Syphon

MarauderMaisy

Jun 20, 2021
I've had a test drive of the VZ2 Hybrid and as someone coming from a Leon FR Black (130), it's quite an upgrade. It might be that I've just never driven a souped-up Cupra before, but compared to the Leon, I really enjoyed driving it - even on the electric motor alone.

I think there is a choice to make - if you're after a nice car that you're going to drive on a mix of roads that also has good economy, the PHEV is probably the better option. But if you're routinely doing motorway driving and you don't see many opportunities to plug-in, then the non-PHEV 310 version is probably your better option.

Reactions: IanH72 and Syphon

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
I'll never understand why Seat went to all the trouble of spinning off Cupra (which had always been synonymous with the performance models) into its own stand alone brand - only to immediately start offering non performance models? Surely the new Cupra badge should have been halo models only - reserved for the 300+ bhp models?

Case in point my lowly FR diesel - had someone pull up alongside me at traffic lights the other day in a Formentor (which I have to say I think is a great looking car). They'd been weaving in and out of traffic and overtaking everyone like an idiot. I'm guessing it was a 1.5, as when the lights changed I absolutely left them for dead, much to their great annoyance. They overtook me a while later doing way more than the speed limit

A premium/halo badge like Cupra should be for sub 6 second cars surely? Otherwise what was the point?

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I'll never understand why Seat went to all the trouble of spinning off Cupra (which had always been synonymous with the performance models) into its own stand alone brand - only to immediately start offering non performance models? Surely the new Cupra badge should have been halo models only - reserved for the 300+ bhp models?

Case in point my lowly FR diesel - had someone pull up alongside me at traffic lights the other day in a Formentor (which I have to say I think is a great looking car). They'd been weaving in and out of traffic and overtaking everyone like an idiot. I'm guessing it was a 1.5, as when the lights changed I absolutely left them for dead, much to their great annoyance. They overtook me a while later doing way more than the speed limit

A premium/halo badge like Cupra should be for sub 6 second cars surely? Otherwise what was the point?
I'm guessing you can put a bigger markup on a Cupra badged car.

It doesn't make sense to me either. 150hp cars should have been Seat Formentors if they had to build them. I don't have anything against them, I see a lot of sense in buying one (looks almost the exactly the same like VZ), but I don't see it helps build a brand.

But if you take into account possibility SEAT as a brand may be phased out, that decision makes more sense.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
I'm guessing you can put a bigger markup on a Cupra badged car.

It doesn't make sense to me either. 150hp cars should have been Seat Formentors if they had to build them. I don't have anything against them, I see a lot of sense in buying one (looks almost the exactly the same like VZ), but I don't see it helps build a brand.

But if you take into account possibility SEAT as a brand may be phased out, that decision makes more sense.
Exactly this - Seat badge for the lower end models, Cupra badge for the full fat powerful versions.

'Cupra' as a brand (based on its previous models under Seat) shouldn't be selling cars less powerful than an old FR trim in the original Seat hierarchy. If they wouldn't put the flag on it a few years back, why do it now?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.