Leon VZ1 2.0TSI 245

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
@SamuelDonuts could you possibly post some pictures of the side and rear end? I'm trying to work out if it's got quad-pipes or dual-pipes and how the rear splitter looks compared to the 300 model?

49A2D473-9C6C-42C7-9F0B-D816FF32FBEA.jpeg
E91954EA-0917-469D-B65F-5E4FD4C2A79A.jpeg

The side picture is at a weird angle, it’s the only way I could get the whole car in onmy driveway.

I really like the non-painted splitter. I also love the exhaust pipes - yes there may only be two but they’re actually pretty beefy in diameter - when it was parked next to the Formentor 310 the other day it genuinely looks like they are bigger!

On a side note, anyone else here having issues with the interior light turning off when you open the door? It’s only the forward cabin one. I unlock the car at night, open the drivers door and it goes in to darkness! The rear cabin light stays on though. Dealer is baffled by it.

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
View attachment 28498 View attachment 28499

The side picture is at a weird angle, it’s the only way I could get the whole car in onmy driveway.

I really like the non-painted splitter. I also love the exhaust pipes - yes there may only be two but they’re actually pretty beefy in diameter - when it was parked next to the Formentor 310 the other day it genuinely looks like they are bigger!

On a side note, anyone else here having issues with the interior light turning off when you open the door? It’s only the forward cabin one. I unlock the car at night, open the drivers door and it goes in to darkness! The rear cabin light stays on though. Dealer is baffled by it.
The light thing mine did the same then stopped for a while then started again, also my auto lights stay on sometimes and manual over ride doesn't work. Mines booked in for Jan as needed courtesy car.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
The light thing mine did the same then stopped for a while then started again, also my auto lights stay on sometimes and manual over ride doesn't work. Mines booked in for Jan as needed courtesy car.
Interesting. I’m kinda glad it isn’t just me, although I have been having issues with the assist systems now aswell as cruise control deciding not to work on a few occasions. Sigh.

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Interesting. I’m kinda glad it isn’t just me, although I have been having issues with the assist systems now aswell as cruise control deciding not to work on a few occasions. Sigh.
Oh no that’s not good news :( It’s not adapted cruise though is it ?

I like the rear splitter and thanks for the side on pics - I’m glad to see the car doesn’t look underwheeled with the 18’s

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Oh no that’s not good news :( It’s not adapted cruise though is it ?

I like the rear splitter and thanks for the side on pics - I’m glad to see the car doesn’t look underwheeled with the 18’s
Thankfully it’s standard cruise (I’ve tried the adapted and travel assist cruise in the Formentor…. It’s kinda cool but it’s just annoying keeping on top of it slowing down before overtaking and also I got annoyed that it actually braked when you accelerated past your set speed for an overtake, to bring you back down to set speed) but all the same it’s annoying to enable cruise and it just show an orange light!

I’m very happy with the wheels. Probably sounds silly that I’m happy with my own car, but my personal opinion is that the 19’s with super low profile tyres looks like a kerbing magnet.

woodengrain

Aug 19, 2021
Kent
Hello folks.

After a brief spell in a diesel Skoda, I have returned to the Cupra following. I previously had a Cupra Ateca, and two weeks ago picked up my new Leon - it's the VZ1 trim in Desire red, no extra options as it was a pipeline order which just happened to be ready at port.

View attachment 28175

I've seen lots and lots of people mention that this particular configuration is rare thus far, and I absolutely agree. Couldn't really find one for love nor money. I thought I would write down my initial impressions, thoughts and also answer a lot of the questions I've seen asked around the forums as well as compare to a 300/310. Bare in mind that my comparisons are against a 4Drive - not a Leon FWD.

Engine - Is it strong? - Yes. It's not as relentless as a 310 4Drive, obviously, but then again I haven't pushed it very far with still only 350 on the clock. I am fortunate to have often access to a Formentor VZ2 310, as luck goes I actually took this away for a week in the Isle of Wight literally the day after picking my Leon up. The engines are very similar. You don't get the "Whoosh" of the turbo like in the Formentor, whether that is real or fake I don't know. The engine itself in the Leon, in my opinion, is actually a bit more versatile for some reason at lower revs. The Formentor can be a bit slow to pick up, but the Leon 245 doesn't have that trait. It does certainly pull well in higher revs. Again, it's not 310 relentless, but it IS rapid.

MPG - Interesting topic. I was expecting 30 or less. On the day I picked it up from Sheffield, it covered around 80 miles including getting through the city centre at rush hour, returning 38MPG. I have sinced used it for a handful of trips to work and a few short trips, and with my first full fill up it has returned a calculated 34MPG. It did 311 Miles to a full tank. In general, most trips are returning that, so 34 seems the standard with 38 easily achievable on the longer jaunts. The Formentor definitely wouldn't return that and I do drive them very similarly, however the range to a tank is quite similar as the 4Drive models have 5 more litres to a tank. Formentor is around 30MPG or less.

Traction - does it struggle? - Respect the fact that it is FWD, and your answer will be no. Of course it doesn't have 4Drive traction. I have spun the wheels at a sprightly launch once - even that was controlled. What I will say is that the limited slip e-Diff really DOES do its job. For instance, pulling out of a junction or tight corner, if you really give it some you will feel the diff sending power to the correct wheel. It is a sensation I've not had before because my last two cars were 4x4 and previous to that, diesel FWD with no diff trickery from what I know. It's almost surprising when it does it, but I'll get used to that.

Exhaust - Sound? - Pretty good actually. I'm quite sure it doesn't have a soundaktor, so this should be across the board. On startup it has a cool burble to itself. During driving, you can really hear a deep tone from it up to around about 2.5k revs then it goes away and the engine sound becomes more prominent. I haven't heard it with the windows down, and I haven't heard any pops or bangs but with that said, I haven't been pushing it hard and haven't been necessarily listening. The geabox/exhaust however does do its little "fart" on a high-rev change up.

Please, if you have any questions about this particular configuration or the car in general please do ask and I will reply with the answer. I know a lot of people are in the process of waiting for an order or looking to snap one up, so I'm happy to help.
Hey mate. Any chance of hearing the exhaust? Any pops and bangs? That desire red is beautiful

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
On the interior light it did it to me again earlier, what I did to fix was when it was off and I expected it on I pressed the light button to turn above lights on, it's button that looks light bulb not the door one, I then got out of car and locked it, the light went off, I then opened the car from key button light came on, opened door light stayed on, shut door drove off and light went off.

Reactions: jcbmally

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Hey mate. Any chance of hearing the exhaust? Any pops and bangs? That desire red is beautiful
I can do my best - are you wanting interior driving noise or exterior? It’s actually pretty good, it definitely crackles and it’s pretty meaty on startup but I’m yet to hear it “pop and bang” like my old ateca and the Formentor does in Cupra mode. I’ve hardly had the windows down though and haven’t been harshly downshifting.

On the interior light it did it to me again earlier, what I did to fix was when it was off and I expected it on I pressed the light button to turn above lights on, it's button that looks light bulb not the door one, I then got out of car and locked it, the light went off, I then opened the car from key button light came on, opened door light stayed on, shut door drove off and light went off.
ooooh. I’ll try that and report back. Thanks! Let me know how you get on.

woodengrain

Aug 19, 2021
Kent
I can do my best - are you wanting interior driving noise or exterior? It’s actually pretty good, it definitely crackles and it’s pretty meaty on startup but I’m yet to hear it “pop and bang” like my old ateca and the Formentor does in Cupra mode. I’ve hardly had the windows down though and haven’t been harshly downshifting.

ooooh. I’ll try that and report back. Thanks! Let me know how you get on.
Both! Haha It's still so hard to find any videos on 245 engine, non-existant online anywhere. I've seen videos on the GTI and was expecting the exhaust noise to be pretty much similar.

iMZee

Nov 30, 2021
Both! Haha It's still so hard to find any videos on 245 engine, non-existant online anywhere. I've seen videos on the GTI and was expecting the exhaust noise to be pretty much similar.
Generally the cupra stuff has nicer sounding exhaust notes

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
The exhaust is pretty loud. I’ve seen startup videos of the GTI and it’s indentical with a good rumble (managed to make someone jump in the early hours at a petrol station, probably more to do with it being up to temp already and just come off the motorway). You can really hear it in the cabin during driving especially at low revs, it entices you to use the torque instead of the raw power.

@SamuelDonuts
Your Cupra has 18" wheels? What tyres are fitted?
it has Goodyears - I’m unsure of the actual type as it was dark but I can check later.

Reactions: Tylos

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Any updates ?!

Whats the ride quality like as I presume you don’t have adaptive dampers ?

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Updates as requested:

I still haven’t got to the bottom of the interior light turning itself off after unlocking. It seems not to have happened the past few days but guarantee it probably will now. Failure of assist systems happened again, although cruise control seems to have stopped throwing up an error. One weird thing is that the CC actually disengaged itself the other night without warning. I’m unsure if somehow I tapped the brake (very doubtful) or whether it had a glitch but very weird for it to just start slowing down.

More positively, in general, all is good. It’s up to about 2,200 miles now - last fuel up saw a measured 35.9MPG (computer read 35.0). That’s mostly motorway/a-road driving at 70 and then 10 mins through towns to get to destination at the start/end of each leg.
Engine seems to be loosening up nicely - with the recent wet weather though and awful state of roads it’s not been the time for using the beans, which is definitely a drawback of FWD but I have been driving at very off-peak times so haven’t felt the need anyway. I’ll look forward to dryer days and more opportunities. If needed, the sprint to 60 once you’re in 2nd gear is very impressive. Don’t bother in 1st.

Ride quality - I think it’s superb. I’ve had the ateca with adaptive dampers for a year and anything other than comfort was ridiculous. This doesn’t need adaptive dampers and feels smoother than the ateca. You get plenty of feel through the steering in general so why anyone would want to feel every pebble in the road through their bum is beyond me!

Splosho

Aug 31, 2021
Greater Manchester
Updates as requested:

I still haven’t got to the bottom of the interior light turning itself off after unlocking. It seems not to have happened the past few days but guarantee it probably will now. Failure of assist systems happened again, although cruise control seems to have stopped throwing up an error. One weird thing is that the CC actually disengaged itself the other night without warning. I’m unsure if somehow I tapped the brake (very doubtful) or whether it had a glitch but very weird for it to just start slowing down.

More positively, in general, all is good. It’s up to about 2,200 miles now - last fuel up saw a measured 35.9MPG (computer read 35.0). That’s mostly motorway/a-road driving at 70 and then 10 mins through towns to get to destination at the start/end of each leg.
Engine seems to be loosening up nicely - with the recent wet weather though and awful state of roads it’s not been the time for using the beans, which is definitely a drawback of FWD but I have been driving at very off-peak times so haven’t felt the need anyway. I’ll look forward to dryer days and more opportunities. If needed, the sprint to 60 once you’re in 2nd gear is very impressive. Don’t bother in 1st.

Ride quality - I think it’s superb. I’ve had the ateca with adaptive dampers for a year and anything other than comfort was ridiculous. This doesn’t need adaptive dampers and feels smoother than the ateca. You get plenty of feel through the steering in general so why anyone would want to feel every pebble in the road through their bum is beyond me!
Sounds brilliant apart from the interior light glitch you're experiencing! My current R56 Cooper S is averaging around 35-36MPG now the weathers gone colder, so to get that in the 245 Leon is brill, and sure it will improve even more with the weather/mileage

Reactions: jcbmally

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Sounds brilliant apart from the interior light glitch you're experiencing! My current R56 Cooper S is averaging around 35-36MPG now the weathers gone colder, so to get that in the 245 Leon is brill, and sure it will improve even more with the weather/mileage
dealer is baffled and I’m not too bothered, it’s irritating but only happens when getting in so I immediately forget about it!
For obvious reasons I didn’t get it for economy but at the same time I didn’t want it to be as terrible as my old ateca, I think over the time I owned it the average was 25. What’s interesting is that this time I came from an Octy vRS TDI 4x4 - that was pulling in 39MPG most the time on the exact same journeys. On longer stints it could hit 50 but was mostly 45 at best. To see close to that with a more powerful petrol just goes to show how much you lose with 4Drive. I’m happy regardless.

Reactions: Justa

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Updates as requested:

Thanks for the update !

Thats good to hear about the ride quality, I was concerned that without the adaptive dampers it might be too firm but that’s the advantage of 18’s I suppose !

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Thanks for the update !

Thats good to hear about the ride quality, I was concerned that without the adaptive dampers it might be too firm but that’s the advantage of 18’s I suppose !
If it’s any sort of comparison, it feels exactly like our VZ2 Formentor which I believe is on 19’s but with DCC.

Reactions: Justa
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.