Leon VZ1 2.0TSI 245

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Hello folks.

After a brief spell in a diesel Skoda, I have returned to the Cupra following. I previously had a Cupra Ateca, and two weeks ago picked up my new Leon - it's the VZ1 trim in Desire red, no extra options as it was a pipeline order which just happened to be ready at port.

9EBD3310-B72C-41B1-AE1F-B3917F3D56AB.jpeg

I've seen lots and lots of people mention that this particular configuration is rare thus far, and I absolutely agree. Couldn't really find one for love nor money. I thought I would write down my initial impressions, thoughts and also answer a lot of the questions I've seen asked around the forums as well as compare to a 300/310. Bare in mind that my comparisons are against a 4Drive - not a Leon FWD.

Engine - Is it strong? - Yes. It's not as relentless as a 310 4Drive, obviously, but then again I haven't pushed it very far with still only 350 on the clock. I am fortunate to have often access to a Formentor VZ2 310, as luck goes I actually took this away for a week in the Isle of Wight literally the day after picking my Leon up. The engines are very similar. You don't get the "Whoosh" of the turbo like in the Formentor, whether that is real or fake I don't know. The engine itself in the Leon, in my opinion, is actually a bit more versatile for some reason at lower revs. The Formentor can be a bit slow to pick up, but the Leon 245 doesn't have that trait. It does certainly pull well in higher revs. Again, it's not 310 relentless, but it IS rapid.

MPG - Interesting topic. I was expecting 30 or less. On the day I picked it up from Sheffield, it covered around 80 miles including getting through the city centre at rush hour, returning 38MPG. I have sinced used it for a handful of trips to work and a few short trips, and with my first full fill up it has returned a calculated 34MPG. It did 311 Miles to a full tank. In general, most trips are returning that, so 34 seems the standard with 38 easily achievable on the longer jaunts. The Formentor definitely wouldn't return that and I do drive them very similarly, however the range to a tank is quite similar as the 4Drive models have 5 more litres to a tank. Formentor is around 30MPG or less.

Traction - does it struggle? - Respect the fact that it is FWD, and your answer will be no. Of course it doesn't have 4Drive traction. I have spun the wheels at a sprightly launch once - even that was controlled. What I will say is that the limited slip e-Diff really DOES do its job. For instance, pulling out of a junction or tight corner, if you really give it some you will feel the diff sending power to the correct wheel. It is a sensation I've not had before because my last two cars were 4x4 and previous to that, diesel FWD with no diff trickery from what I know. It's almost surprising when it does it, but I'll get used to that.

Exhaust - Sound? - Pretty good actually. I'm quite sure it doesn't have a soundaktor, so this should be across the board. On startup it has a cool burble to itself. During driving, you can really hear a deep tone from it up to around about 2.5k revs then it goes away and the engine sound becomes more prominent. I haven't heard it with the windows down, and I haven't heard any pops or bangs but with that said, I haven't been pushing it hard and haven't been necessarily listening. The geabox/exhaust however does do its little "fart" on a high-rev change up.

Please, if you have any questions about this particular configuration or the car in general please do ask and I will reply with the answer. I know a lot of people are in the process of waiting for an order or looking to snap one up, so I'm happy to help.

Last edited:

courty

Oct 26, 2021
Hello folks.

After a brief spell in a diesel Skoda, I have returned to the Cupra following. I previously had a Cupra Ateca, and two weeks ago picked up my new Leon - it's the VZ1 trim in Desire red, no extra options as it was a pipeline order which just happened to be ready at port.

View attachment 28175

I've seen lots and lots of people mention that this particular configuration is rare thus far, and I absolutely agree. Couldn't really find one for love nor money. I thought I would write down my initial impressions, thoughts and also answer a lot of the questions I've seen asked around the forums as well as compare to a 300/310. Bare in mind that my comparisons are against a 4Drive - not a Leon FWD.

Engine - Is it strong? - Yes. It's not as relentless as a 310 4Drive, obviously, but then again I haven't pushed it very far with still only 350 on the clock. I am fortunate to have often access to a Formentor VZ2 310, as luck goes I actually took this away for a week in the Isle of Wight literally the day after picking my Leon up. The engines are very similar. You don't get the "Whoosh" of the turbo like in the Formentor, whether that is real or fake I don't know. The engine itself in the Leon, in my opinion, is actually a bit more versatile for some reason at lower revs. The Formentor can be a bit slow to pick up, but the Leon 245 doesn't have that trait. It does certainly pull well in higher revs. Again, it's not 310 relentless, but it IS rapid.

MPG - Interesting topic. I was expecting 30 or less. On the day I picked it up from Sheffield, it covered around 80 miles including getting through the city centre at rush hour, returning 38MPG. I have sinced used it for a handful of trips to work and a few short trips, and with my first full fill up it has returned a calculated 34MPG. It did 311 Miles to a full tank. In general, most trips are returning that, so 34 seems the standard with 38 easily achievable on the longer jaunts. The Formentor definitely wouldn't return that and I do drive them very similarly, however the range to a tank is quite similar as the 4Drive models have 5 more litres to a tank. Formentor is around 30MPG or less.

Traction - does it struggle? - Respect the fact that it is FWD, and your answer will be no. Of course it doesn't have 4Drive traction. I have spun the wheels at a sprightly launch once - even that was controlled. What I will say is that the limited slip e-Diff really DOES do its job. For instance, pulling out of a junction or tight corner, if you really give it some you will feel the diff sending power to the correct wheel. It is a sensation I've not had before because my last two cars were 4x4 and previous to that, diesel FWD with no diff trickery from what I know. It's almost surprising when it does it, but I'll get used to that.

Exhaust - Sound? - Pretty good actually. I'm quite sure it doesn't have a soundaktor, so this should be across the board. On startup it has a cool burble to itself. During driving, you can really hear a deep tone from it up to around about 2.5k revs then it goes away and the engine sound becomes more prominent. I haven't heard it with the windows down, and I haven't heard any pops or bangs but with that said, I haven't been pushing it hard and haven't been necessarily listening. The geabox/exhaust however does do its little "fart" on a high-rev change up.

Please, if you have any questions about this particular configuration or the car in general please do ask and I will reply with the answer. I know a lot of people are in the process of waiting for an order or looking to snap one up, so I'm happy to help.

I've part exed my 2015 VRS TDI for a 245 2.0tsi, I pick it up Saturday.

Like yours it's a VZ1 in desire red and was available immediately as it was in the showroom, initially went in for a Formentor but didn't like the driving position. You planning on doing any mods?

Reactions: jcbmally

Tylos

Aug 21, 2021
Nice review. There is hardly any information to find about this 245 TSI. An Austrian guy in a different forum received one in september and wrote a bit about it.
But that's it. Nothing on youtube and no professional car review :(. On my opinion it's great, that there isn't a soundaktor built in.
Could you make a short sound video, if you passed the recommended 1000 miles.
I orded the 2.0 TSI 245 in June, but haven'd head anything since then. I guess it won't arrive in 2021.
I will also get one without the opional side skirt. It wasn't possible to one them. Now it is at least in germany.
But i wanna ad these for a sporty look.

Splosho

Aug 31, 2021
Greater Manchester
Thanks for the review mate! I've ordered a Formentor VZ1 245 TSI back in June, still waiting :( As you mention there is nothing out there about the Leon/Formentor with the 245 engine config. But it seems to be the sweet spot in the range with decent power for a daily and seems to be pretty economical

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Nice review. There is hardly any information to find about this 245 TSI. An Austrian guy in a different forum received one in september and wrote a bit about it.
But that's it. Nothing on youtube and no professional car review :(. On my opinion it's great, that there isn't a soundaktor built in.
I orded the 2.0 TSI 245 in June, but haven'd head anything since then. I guess it won't arrive in 2021.
I will also get one without the opional side skirt. It wasn't possible to one them. Now it is at least in germany.

Well it's pretty much the same as the Golf GTI / Octavia VRS, the torque kicks in lower on the 245 which makes it feel quite a bit more responsive. Peach of an engine, pretty economical and if I was ever to buy a Cupra again probably the one I'd go for.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
I've part exed my 2015 VRS TDI for a 245 2.0tsi, I pick it up Saturday.

Like yours it's a VZ1 in desire red and was available immediately as it was in the showroom, initially went in for a Formentor but didn't like the driving position. You planning on doing any mods?
Exactly the same as me however the vRS was 4x4. You’ll be very surprised at the low down torque as mentioned in another reply - it does pick up brilliantly. I’m surprised you didn’t like the seating position of the Formentor - I think it’s great, the only drawback I found in the Formentor is that I can never trust where I think the dimensions of the car are, even after driving it for a good period of time. That’s already not the case with the Leon. No mods planned purely because I’m not sure what is even a possibility yet!
Thank you! It’s hardly a review really but I’m glad it’s reach some people positively. You won’t be disappointed with this engine option, I think it’s the best comination of power and economy. I’ve just come back from work, 30 miles up the M/A42. 35MPG and that’s with a number of gentle bursts of acceleration. I can definitely try and do a sound video - interior or exterior?
Thanks for the review mate! I've ordered a Formentor VZ1 245 TSI back in June, still waiting :( As you mention there is nothing out there about the Leon/Formentor with the 245 engine config. But it seems to be the sweet spot in the range with decent power for a daily and seems to be pretty economical
You’re welcome - thank you for reading and replying. Hopefully you won’t be waiting too long, I’m just super lucky that my spec AND desired colour was at the port ready, however I was originally enquiring about a grey one followed by a silver one when they said it was sold. Just happened to be said in an email I could possibly test drive a red one and my instant reply was that I’d buy it! I’ll echo my above comments RE power and economy - it’s certainly doing everything right so far. This second tank currently showing 31.5MPG and when I calculated the last tank, the computer under-read by 1MPG.
Well it's pretty much the same as the Golf GTI / Octavia VRS, the torque kicks in lower on the 245 which makes it feel quite a bit more responsive. Peach of an engine, pretty economical and if I was ever to buy a Cupra again probably the one I'd go for.
You’re absolutely right. I was close to upgrading Octavia to Octavia Mk4, honestly I wanted something a little more special and the Octavia seemed more “serious” of a car. I really can’t echo enough how the torque really does come in beautifully at low revs, and the gearbox is nowhere near as laggy as my old Ateca 300.

Reactions: jcbmally

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
It doesn’t sound like the Formentor 310, I don’t have the 245 so couldn’t compare. I’m unsure whether the Formentor 245 will have soundaktor with the pure petrol engine either, but the 310 does and that just gets rid of the real engine noise. Only thing I’ve noticed is that the Leon doesn’t have the “whoosh” noise from the turbo which the Formentor does even in comfort mode.

It does have Cupra mode but it doesn’t change much - Gearbox in S and sharper steering, that’s about it. I’ve actually enjoyed leaving it in D.

Tylos

Aug 21, 2021
The Formentor 245 doesn't have an soundaktor and eLSD. But someone mentioned, that the exhaust as the Leon 245 TSI.
Yeah it's best for the DSG if you leave it in drive. But on my opinion, i would avoid the so called "inertia mode". But it is always activated in the convenience driving profile.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
I’m assuming you are referring to hybrid? If not I’d be surprised if the pure petrol Formentor 245 didn’t have the eLSD.
Same about the “inertia mode” - sounds very Tesla! 🤣
Edit: Is “intertia mode” where it comes out of gear when coasting? Because if so, I find that very helpful and improves economy - my previous vehicle and weirdly the Ateca 300 had a terrible eco mode which did this whereby the gearbox didn’t respond quick enough when pressing the accelerator, but this is not the case in the new Leon and the Formentor!

Reactions: Splosho

Splosho

Aug 31, 2021
Greater Manchester
I’m assuming you are referring to hybrid? If not I’d be surprised if the pure petrol Formentor 245 didn’t have the eLSD.
Same about the “inertia mode” - sounds very Tesla! 🤣
Edit: Is “intertia mode” where it comes out of gear when coasting? Because if so, I find that very helpful and improves economy - my previous vehicle and weirdly the Ateca 300 had a terrible eco mode which did this whereby the gearbox didn’t respond quick enough when pressing the accelerator, but this is not the case in the new Leon and the Formentor!
I would have thought the 245 petrol Formentor would have the eLSD as well. As the MK4 Skoda Octavia vRS has an eLSD! Especially as they all share the same EA888 Evo 4 drivetrain. I'm looking forward to having an auto as a daily as I currently drive a R56 Mini Cooper S

Reactions: UnrepentantN00b

Tylos

Aug 21, 2021
Exactly this coasting - is called intertia mode in the manual. I did not find a better term ;-)
I was trying to find some information, which proves that the formentor 2.0 245 TSI does have an eLSD but, i did not find it.

This spanish configuration list is very precise. The version of the leon include the eLSD -> VAQ.
The official information situation is very poor about the eLSD.
Edit: Good news: According to this czech PDF, the 245 TSI Formentor should also have a eLSD (VAQ) Page 5

Reactions: Splosho
Sep 12, 2020
Thanks for this review/snapshot of the new 245 engine, I'm just pondering whether to order this exact model on lease... 245 cupra leon vz1 but in boggo white paint. Coming out of a diesel audi a4 avant and fancy something a bit 'spicier'!🔥

Reactions: Justa

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Very interested in this !

I’m considering leasing a VZ1 245 and there is so little info about them - especially as the Cupra configurator is not working !

Difficult to even get the standard spec !

Sep 12, 2020
Reactions: Justa
Sep 12, 2020
@SamuelDonuts could you possibly post some pictures of the side and rear end? I'm trying to work out if it's got quad-pipes or dual-pipes and how the rear splitter looks compared to the 300 model?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.