Riv nuts or M10 bolts?

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi all,

Have pickup my Upper and Lower strut brace from Audi. The only fitments I have been given with the two braces are 8 'Riv nut' type things

I know a few of you have fitted the upper brace with M10 or M12 bolts, has anybody had one fitted with Riv nuts!? if so any difference? I've got these nuts now so dont really want to purchase M10 bolts if not necessary

I am assuming the lower brace doesnt need fitments and attaches on to bolts that are already there?

cheers:)

ScoobyJawa

Achtung!
Oct 2, 2002
Liphook
Visit site
No the lower brace requires the riv nuts - the holes are in the subframe but you have to put the riv nuts in to provide the mountings - its 2 for this.

Not sure re the upper, I suppose you could use them, I used M8 bolts and nyloc nuts.....

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Cant help with the lower brace as its standard on LCR but i wouldnt use rivnuts on the upper one
Do you have the tool to compress rivnuts?
Used to have lots of problems at work with these failing whilst bolt is being torqued up into it
This ends up in rivnut spinning and difficulty getting bolt out of it and then drilling rivnut out but without damaging anything, then start all over again
Bolts anyday for me

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Bolts would be better for upper - but the issue there lies with getting the bolt/nut on and doing them up.

I used riv-nuts for my upper front strut brace on my LC a few years back - never once had a problem. That's not to say you won't though.

And yes - Riv-nuts are for the lower brace.

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
My Audi garage are not used to fitting these to cars without protruding bolts already in place.....-bugger!

Its turning in to a bit of a chore!

How easy have you guys found it to fit your own or did you get it fitted professionally (or near enough!)

How much would I be looking to pay for this to be done do you think?

cheers

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
I took mine to a VAG tuner who drilled the turrets cleaned up the brace to clear the water lines and bonnet lifter and fitted using high tensile steel bolts nuts and washers. Try looking for VAG tuners in your area (maybe take a look for CC or Revo garages nearby).

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
You will not need high tensile bolts for this as when torqued correctly normal bolts should be fine
Largest force acting on the bolts will be shear
I would recommend M10 and probably 30mm long, also nyloc nuts and appropriate flat washers( i used cap head bolts too)
Engineering bolts are best for this application with a suitable coating like zinc (BZP) and probably the most available

J0N

Defected!
I dont even know how riv nuts work, surely they need something to screw onto?

would you mind explaining a bit about the process(s) you used please

cheers

Have a look at this; http://www.aimfasteners.com/about_rivnut.html
It's also worth noting that I did'nt need to use a specific setting tool, for an M8 riv-nut I drilled an 11mm hole which creates a very slight interference fit. A very slight tap and the riv-nut was securely in the hole and did not spin. Then I put the strut brace in position, fitted stainless plain washers and stainless spring washers and tightened the M8 stainless set screw to the required torque. Dont forget, of course that the collar on the riv-nut must be bigger than the hole in the strut brace and I found M8 to be perfect for this application. The nuts are now in a 'captive' state in my suspention turrets as if they were welded from the other side and the strut brace can be removed and re-fitted in minutes if need be. These can withstand any shear forces that may be exerted on them in this application and there is also no lateral movement in the nuts, (let's not forget that a strut brace is there to prevent lateral movement in the first place). I have been in engineering for 19 years as a Mechanical Maintenance Fitter and have always found riv-nuts to be perfectly ok if used in the right kind of job and fitted correctly.

Have a look at mine, I fitted it back in February and it's been great.

rivnut1.jpg

rivnut2.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.