Stripped hex bolt on manifold

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
This is a follow up to my other post but I thought other people might get similar issues of stripped bolts in really awkward spots.

I stripped this hex bolt trying to get the manifold off in order to get the turbo off and cannot find a way to get it out.

I have tried, rubber glove over the hex key, wd40, 4lb hammer, blow torch, could not find a way to fit Dremel in there to cut the head off, could not fit a hack saw blade in there to try and get some purchase on it with a flathead
IMG_20220520_174525.jpg
Only thoughts I have left are attempting drilling the bolt from the side to remove the head or buying a small chisel that I can use to somehow knock it round. Any suggestions much appreciated! Thanks in advance

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate you need the tool below put it on a extension and hammer it over the Allen bolt really tightly and then just undo it. Also a small 12 sided socket will also work as long as it’s hammered on tightly it’ll undo.

Reactions: CupraChris1981

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Hi mate you need the tool below put it on a extension and hammer it over the Allen bolt really tightly and then just undo it. Also a small 12 sided socket will also work as long as it’s hammered on tightly it’ll undo.

I don't understand how that could grip a circular bolt? Tried putting a circular spanner over it and there isn't even enough space round the edge to fit that so that tool very likely won't fit over it either

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_174531~2.jpg
    IMG_20220520_174531~2.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Those bolt extractors are great, but if you haven't got room then what Rich said is the only real way. Failing that you may have to weld another nut on top.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
That is unlucky, usually VAG bolts are of vey good quality.
Pity they love stupid hex socket or splined socket bolts.
Poor & nasty tools can bite your arse in this case.
Hammering a suitable torx bit into the wreckage has worked for me in the past.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Poor & nasty tools can bite your arse in this case.
Hammering a suitable torx bit into the wreckage has worked for me in the past.
That with bells on.
Using slightly worn or the cheapest of the cheap tools will always cause problems when you least need it.

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Tried the extractors, didn't work could not get on all the way or get enough purchase on the outside.

I have very little room to manoeuvre a hammer about 2 inches of swing and I'm unable to hammer in the next size up torx, any suggestions for somehow getting it in?

Is using a Dremel tool to try and cut the head off the bolt a viable option?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Mini mole grips?

If you can dremmel the bolt head, is there enough room toget the manifold off?
Not a bad idea and maybe your only option.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Mini mole grips?

Could also cut a slot in the head, and use a screwdriver bit on a extension bar if you have one. Might be worth a try before taking the head off the bolt completely

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
See, this is why I don't want to touch my manifold.

As someone who charges full steam into taking hacksaws to things, I'd recommend exhausting all your other options first before doing anything drastic.

I've lost count of the replacement parts I've had to pay for and repair work I've had to do or have done when I've panicked and not taken a step back. Normally I cut the most expensive part to replace for some reason.

If you cut the head of the bolt off, sure, the manifold should slide off, but then you've got to get the bolt out of the block - and if the thread is seized, that might be why the head rounded off. At the moment, you have a head. I'd say that's always preferable to no head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Mini mole grips?

Knowing my luck no but if I can pull it off part way I will saw the bolt off in the gap

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Could also cut a slot in the head, and use a screwdriver bit on a extension bar if you have one. Might be worth a try before taking the head off the bolt completely
I was thinking maybe, but I already bent one flat head after managing to hammer it into the bolt while trying to wrench it out

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Its been a long time since i had the manifold of a pd but...
Can you get the rest of the bolts out. Then try and pry the manifold away at the non damaged bolt end. May put a bit of stretch in the damaged bolt shaft/thread.
Maybe cause enough stretch to loosen the bolt enough to get it turning.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I agree with what I am mooks said. Cutting the bolt should be a last resort, as you have to get the bolt out the block then. If you haven't got room to get a drill in there then you are screwed.
IF it gets to drastic action, then I think you would be better off welding a nut to it, even if you have to hire a welder or pay someone to do it.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
2 solutions

1 - Get some grips on it. May take a few attempts of turning and resetting but the bolts aren't stupidly hard to turn, just the heads tend to be the weak point.

If needs be you can undo the exhaust manifold and pull it back a bit to give access from the side

2 - hammer a hex bit in, should do the job

Reactions: Rich.T and iammooks

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
2 solutions

1 - Get some grips on it. May take a few attempts of turning and resetting but the bolts aren't stupidly hard to turn, just the heads tend to be the weak point.

If needs be you can undo the exhaust manifold and pull it back a bit to give access from the side

2 - hammer a hex bit in, should do the job
Not enough room for grips and tried the larger hex and torx neither will go in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.