Stripped hex bolt on manifold

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
I have a welder and a Dremel, both seem like will be risky I'm inclined to try the small dremel first to see if the washer can somehow be cut out

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Not sure this would work it looks like they are using it on posi/Phillips screws not rounded torq/hex
But the principle is the same.
Youve got nothing to lose by dipping the socket into grinding paste and having a go.

I used this tip a few years ago (cant remember weather it was bolt or screw) and it worked.

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
In the end I bought a new bolt remover kit and it worked a treat only had to cut off one head with the dremel, but now I have the problem of replacing the bolts, I have some TV mount bolts that would fit although are a bit longer, I need 6 of them for the inlet, would it be possible to use these instead?

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_181517.jpg
    IMG_20220628_181517.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 70

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Ok, because I like testing stuff, I know the temperature of the top of the inlet manifold during normal running. It's about 70°C fair to say the underside is a tad bit warmer.

Also, you're talking about alloy head and manifold.

My point is that this is a surprisingly harsh environment. Would those bolts work? Maybe. Is it a good idea? Not really.

As ever, just my opinion, tis your car to do with as you wish

Reactions: CupraChris1981

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Ok, because I like testing stuff, I know the temperature of the top of the inlet manifold during normal running. It's about 70°C fair to say the underside is a tad bit warmer.

Also, you're talking about alloy head and manifold.

My point is that this is a surprisingly harsh environment. Would those bolts work? Maybe. Is it a good idea? Not really.

As ever, just my opinion, tis your car to do with as you wish
I didn't want to replace with the same bolts I took out as they were a nightmare, any links to similar bolts? I search for inlet manifold bolts and cannot find what I'm looking for

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Do not use that bolt

You need to know tensile strength.

Some 8.8 tensile bolts should do you and that is called a cap screw. Measure the length of the threaded section that is your length in mm.

So you will be looking for a cap screw say M8 x 50 as an example.

You may even find they are 10.9 tensile.

Or just go to to SEAT and get them to order you them

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Do not use that bolt

You need to know tensile strength.

Some 8.8 tensile bolts should do you and that is called a cap screw. Measure the length of the threaded section that is your length in mm.

So you will be looking for a cap screw say M8 x 50 as an example.

You may even find they are 10.9 tensile.

Or just go to to SEAT and get them to order you them
Could these do the trick? The car is not driven much anyway I just needed the turbo fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131029737166?hash=item1e81fb1ece:g:52IAAOxywXFSanYv

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Could these do the trick? The car is not driven much anyway I just needed the turbo fixed https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131029737166?hash=item1e81fb1ece:g:52IAAOxywXFSanYv
Cap screws like that yes however those you have posted are 12.9 tensile. They may be too brittle. With increased tensile strength you get a stronger bolt however they do become more brittle

My example of M8 x 50 was only an example.

Without having the cap screw in my hand i cannot tell you if it is M6, M8, M10 or what length.

You have the cap screw bolt you took out so you can measure the length.

It is probably an M6 or M8 but i cannot say without seeing it

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Cap screws like that yes however those you have posted are 12.9 tensile. They may be too brittle. With increased tensile strength you get a stronger bolt however they do become more brittle

My example of M8 x 50 was only an example.

Without having the cap screw in my hand i cannot tell you if it is M6, M8, M10 or what length.

You have the cap screw bolt you took out so you can measure the length.

It is probably an M6 or M8 but i cannot say without seeing it
They are 40mm m8s , i think one of the bolts is salvageable, what would you estimate the odds of the bolts snapping given the car is not driven much?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They are 40mm m8s , i think one of the bolts is salvageable, what would you estimate the odds of the bolts snapping given the car is not driven much?
New bolts or the removal of the old ones?

Put some copper grease on the thread when re-assembling and that will do them. I doubt they will need to come out again if ever

Cupra con

Littleredrocketpd150
Feb 16, 2020
High Wycombe
That happened to me, and on the crankshaft pulley, all I did was clean any oil off the head and bang a 12mm straight over the top , it’s tight but you need to have perseverance and a big forearm lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members