8bit's Mk1 Leon Cupra R. Scarlett - as in Johansson...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
great car, just get that engine bay dressed up and clean and you've got a stunner,

lc/lcr are modern classics, like a lot of quick cars, one hell of a lot of them are getting written off as they're comming down in price and nutters get behind the wheels of them,

sierra cosworths, they were everywhere once, then theres only a handful of decent ones about now, cupra r's will go the same way to be honest,

Yeh realised after looking at those pics again that even a little effort would make the bay look better, will give the engine cover and the bits of plastics and bodywork a clean next time, going to get some more red silicone hoses too i think, probably starting with boost hoses and upper intercooler ones at least to start with but they'll have to join the to-do list a bit further down at the moment.

@Willie - like your style dude, that's exactly what this thread needed! ;) Here's another one I like, from The Spirit:

scarlett-johansson-the-spirit.jpg

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Bit of a crap day, was out for a drive today and after getting stuck behind Sunday drivers all afternoon I went to overtake someone and as I was flooring it got the oil warning light flashing red. Looks like it's the pickup or something as there seems to be plenty oil in it so I'll be taking the bus to work tomorrow and ringing the garage as soon as they're open. Hope it's nothing expensive...

Couple more gratuitous scenery shots from this afternoon's blast round Aberdeenshire...

imag0119.jpg

imag0121w.jpg

One of the Alpine stereo, for those that are interested in such things. I love it, can't go anywhere without music so for me it's great :) Works magic with ipods and iphones, etc.

imag0117x.jpg

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
OH OH!!
If you do think its the pick up then please don't drive it any more until you get the sump off and check this out.
Further driving with a blocked pick up will feck up the whole engine

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I'll be booking it into the garage today, the one I use is only round the corner from me so should be OK if I just take that very gently. Fingers crossed, just glad this didn't happen 2 weeks from now when I'll be on the M8 to Glasgow...

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I'll be booking it into the garage today, the one I use is only round the corner from me so should be OK if I just take that very gently. Fingers crossed, just glad this didn't happen 2 weeks from now when I'll be on the M8 to Glasgow...
Seriously, no it won't be if its a blocked oil pick up line
Don't start it get it seen to there

Last edited:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well I've tried the two places I usually use and neither of them can even look at it til late or after next week, and neither can look at it where it is. If you've got any suggestions for a garage that can send someone out then I'd be grateful to hear them!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I might be home in the next few days and could take a look at it for you.
Can the car be jacked up where it is or near to where it is?
If you get sump bolts, sump sealant, new filter, oil, a new pick up seal and new oil return gasket I have everything else.

When was your oil changed last?
What exactly happened when you were driving and what did you do after it happened?
Did the light go off?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK if I can't get something else sorted out today then I might take you up on that. I take it the local stealer can provide all that stuff? What sort of oil should I get?

As for jacking the car up, the street I live on is on a wee bit of a slope and it's on a slight camber where it's parked just now so it's not totally level, I take it this would be dangerous to put it on axle stands where it is?

As for what happened, I'd been driving around Deeside and Banchory area for about 90 mins, stopped a couple of times to take photos and for most of the drive wasn't at the speed limit because of slower traffic. I was behind a couple of slow cars and got a chance to pass them so I dropped to third and booted it. Once the engine got to about 4000rpm I heard three beeps and noticed the oil light flashing but it went out as I pulled back in. I drove in 6th at about 55 behind another slow car for a few mins then held back a little and accelerated hard (but not as much as before) off a roundabout and it happened again but still the light went out. I drove very gently and parked up for a bit at Tesco in Westhill and as I was turning off the roundabout to go up to Tesco it happened again and went out.

I let the car sit for half an hour while I checked the manual then checked the oil level, then I drove it home and the light didn't come on again. I checked the oil again a couple of times last night a few hours after the car had been off and the level seems a bit high, but that might be cos its' parked on a slope and a camber.

The garage I bought it from put in the service book that they changed the oil when they did the predelivery service and MOT, I haven't had to touch it since then, that was back in late February.

EDIT - this is the thread I posted in the mk1 LCR section - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277183

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Sounds like the need for a VAG com scan but checking the oil pick up line sounds like a very very good idea.
As I said I wouldn't drive it anymore.
It's not even driving the car that will put it at risk, just starting it up could be too much for it.
I would count on it being the oil pick up line and that you've been very lucky and gotten away with it.
this could also be the oil pump failing
I have one in my shed if it turns out to be that

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Well as I said the light and beeps only appeared initially when booting it and after resting the car for half an hour at Tesco they never came back on the drive home - having said that, I drove back as gently as I could, letting the revs rise gradually so think it's probably been ok. Having left it overnight now I guess most of the oil will have run back down into the sump so I can see how starting it would be a very bad idea.

Have you got a laptop with vag com Willie?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well as I said the light and beeps only appeared initially when booting it and after resting the car for half an hour at Tesco they never came back on the drive home - having said that, I drove back as gently as I could, letting the revs rise gradually so think it's probably been ok. Having left it overnight now I guess most of the oil will have run back down into the sump so I can see how starting it would be a very bad idea.

Have you got a laptop with vag com Willie?
Na sorry I don't, I get my good mate Al to do this for me.

Let me know what your doing about the sump/oil pressure problem

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Nice motor

Cheers :) Will be happier with it when it's fixed!

@Willie - managed to get it booked in for this Wednesday at a place I used before in Banchory. He reckons on about £180 including towing so long as it's just gunked lines or whatever. Not that I don't trust your abilities but I do need the car back as soon as possible and in the event that you and I did look at it ourselves and we discovered there was something more wrong than we thought and couldn't carry on then I'd be back at square one. Also as I said, not sure it would be OK working on it where it is as it's just parked on the street, I haven't got a driveway or a garage or anything and the street is on a bit of a slope so not sure even axle stands would be safe. Sincerest thanks for the offer though.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Cheers :) Will be happier with it when it's fixed!

@Willie - managed to get it booked in for this Wednesday at a place I used before in Banchory. He reckons on about £180 including towing so long as it's just gunked lines or whatever. Not that I don't trust your abilities but I do need the car back as soon as possible and in the event that you and I did look at it ourselves and we discovered there was something more wrong than we thought and couldn't carry on then I'd be back at square one. Also as I said, not sure it would be OK working on it where it is as it's just parked on the street, I haven't got a driveway or a garage or anything and the street is on a bit of a slope so not sure even axle stands would be safe. Sincerest thanks for the offer though.
Absolutely no bother, i was only offering as you were looking like you could have been stuck. I'm up to my neck on jobs as it is anyway
That's a good price and getting towed might be a slight over spend but a seized engine would cost you £1,000's
It doesn't sound like you would have the perfect situation for working on the car, as you've said.
Hope all goes well and its just down to a gunked up pick up.
Make sure you get good oil in there, see if they'll drop the price for you supplying your own oil too, then you'll be sure its got the best.
This might be due to the garage you bought it from using crappy oil before you got it

Jun 4, 2007
Aberdeen
nice looking leon there mate have seen one or two red ones about the deen so not sure if its been yourself or not. Need to get to a meet or photo trip. Ive started going photo crazy at the moment.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
@ Willie - thanks again, fingers crossed that's all it is. The guy kinda pre-empted what I was saying as soon as I said Leon Cupra R, he asked was it the 1.8T and as soon as I said the light was flashing he said he'd seen the lines get gunked up or the strainer a few times. He and his dad did a few bits on my old Punto and I trust them.

nice looking leon there mate have seen one or two red ones about the deen so not sure if its been yourself or not. Need to get to a meet or photo trip. Ive started going photo crazy at the moment.

Cheers :) I see a fair few silver and black ones about, not so many LCRs in red (a few LCs tho) so might possibly have been me. Read your RR thread a couple of times, haven't seen your car about, I'd know the wheels for sure - nice :) Shame you can't make the meet next week (altho if my car doesn't get fixed on Wed then maybe I won't either), hopefully next time - I've been the only mk1 the last twice, fed up getting left behind by monster-quick mk2 LCs and even tricked out Ibizas, lol :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen

Nah, they're both called Douglas. Douglas Snr. has Bush Garage in Peterculter and his son has Dee Garage in Banchory. They've always been bang on in the past and very reasonable, even had Douglas Snr do extra wee bits for free. Just wasn't thinking about them as I thought I'd be able to drive it round the corner to the place I've used very near me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members