8bit's Mk1 Leon Cupra R. Scarlett - as in Johansson...

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
A gt2871r is not that slow spooling, should be full power by 3400rpm, so i have been told
I was seriously considering a hybrid but many problems and disappointing results put me off
Proven reliable and tested power

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Yep, but stock K04 is on song 1000rpm earlier. Besides, given this car's history I'm not even sure I'd trust it to stand up to a stage 1 remap, let alone big turbo. Having said that the garage did a compression test yesterday too and all four cylinders are "bang on spec" so I guess that means the core motor block itself is at least in good nick :)

The hybrid story is interesting, lately I think folks have been getting to the bottom of things but it's working out almost as expensive as BT to get decent gains, and you don't get an awful lot more than a decent exhaust, FMIC and good stage 2 remap - and you need all that stuff too.

Good luck with your BT stuff mate, I'll be reading with interest!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
So this arrived yesterday morning...

imag0463c.jpg

Which is nice :) Car is booked in to get it fitted on the 21st along with new oil lines and a full engine flush and fresh oil and filters, also having the sump dropped and cleaned thoroughly and using Milllers oil this time. Hereafter I'll get the sump dropped and cleaned every year to keep oil-related issues at bay.

Looking forward to having a healthy car again...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Right, Scarlett's back. Took her for a quick test run and... no boost, whatsoever.

Checked for fault codes and got this - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17963/P1555/005461

Had a look under the bonnet, checking the N75 and they'd only gone and stuck it back on the wrong way round... Swapped it round, out for another quick run and hey presto, pulls like a train again :)

Wasn't cheap tho, not including the turbo the garage bill was just over £900 :( Plus £300 for the turbo. But the car feels and sounds much better than I think it's ever done since I've had it.

I got the old turbo back off them which was, in their words, "shagged", I'll get a look at it and some pics up here over the weekend.

Now, just to work out why my secondary coolant pump is only running intermittantly...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Good news at last Niall :). Make sure you let it heat up before you boot it and let it cool down before switching off if you have been booting it to preserve the new turbo as much as possible!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers fellas, aye fingers crossed! The garage checked compression and oil pressures and both of those were perfectly healthy so I guess that's reassuring.

Al, that's the annoying thing - since I've had the car I've always been careful nae to boot it until it's been running and moving for at least 15 mins and always idle it for a couple of minutes after parking up, booting it or not. I think I might be seeing issues brought on by a less-careful previous owner.

Checked out the old turbo tonight and.... it just looks like a muckier version of the one that went on. There was, however, about half a centimeter of play in the in/out direction on the shaft, which will explain why it was spewing oil and sounding awful.

Fingers crossed for some dry weather this weekend, got an ECS dogbone mount and Whiteline rear ARB in the garage I'm keen to fit...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Good news you got it fixed again mate, i know the feeling of not being able to drive your car when u want it sucks!!!

Lets hope thats last of your problems

Cheers buddy :) Yeh been nursing it everywhere lately, scared to go too far into boost RPM range. Been told to go easy on it for a few days and then change the oil and filter again after a week then can enjoy it again...

This is where oil temp gauges are very handy, you can see when its warmed up

Yep, and oil pressure gauge too - once I've got some free funds again think those plus boost gauge will be my next mod.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Some more positive updates :)

Got my Whiteline rear ARB fitted at the weekend. Crap pic but you get the idea:

imag0490f.jpg

Got it on the medium setting and tbh I reckon I'll set it to the stiffest one this weekend as the effect so far seems pretty subtle, not as remarkable an improvement as I thought it would be.

Scarlett was also back at the garage today to get one more oil check and change after the new turbo the other week. All good there, the car certainly feels nice to drive again too.

Also, got the garage to change the dogbone mount so I now have the ECS one fitted. That has made a difference - the car sounds better across the rev range, gearchanges are slicker and the traction under WOT feels a lot better. Definitely happy with that one :)

Can't wait to get it remapped now but between the cost of replacing the turbo and getting a new bathroom put in this week that's going to have to wait a bit longer...