Catch tank

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Next on my list is a catch tank. Just wanted to check do the inlet outlets fitting need to be 19 mm? Also what capacity is needed and which tanks do people recomend?
Thanks.

Westle

Audi S3 Driver
May 22, 2009
Next on my list is a catch tank. Just wanted to check do the inlet outlets fitting need to be 19 mm? Also what capacity is needed and which tanks do people recomend?
Thanks.

Yep 19mm is the same as the outlet on the rocker cover and the oil filter housing.

I use a Saikomichi catch can which is baffled to help separate the vapour and the oil. Here's the link:

http://www.saikoumichi.com/

They're not the cheapest cans about but they work better then any others i've seen.

I'd also recommend venting from the can to atmosphere instead of back into the TIP. If you see the crap that goes back into the TIP you'd be surprised. Venting to atmos = cleaner air back into your boost system.

Westle

Audi S3 Driver
May 22, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Is this the one you bought?
http://www.saikoumichi.com/Orb3_Breather_Tank.htm
Where do you vent yours? I thinking of mounting it to the heat sheild. However if it vents from the top of the tank will the vapour not just get sucked into the air filter again?

No mines slightly different. I've also got an Audi S3 so mounting may be easier on the LCR. This is how mine is setup:

f309183f.jpg

Mine vents down and out by the subframe and is tacked along the hard brake line and vents just infront of the fuel tank:

b67c15be.jpg

00bc2223.jpg

530b957a.jpg

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Thanks for the photos thats a big help. Is your a stage 2 or 3 catch tank as I dont know how big to go? They look well made do you have to pay import tax as well on them?

Westle

Audi S3 Driver
May 22, 2009
Thanks for the photos thats a big help. Is your a stage 2 or 3 catch tank as I dont know how big to go? They look well made do you have to pay import tax as well on them?

Sorry mate I'm really not sure as I got it as part of a group buy on ASN. There was import tax to pay but we asked Saikomichi to mark the price down so we avoided it.

I've seen a few catch cans on S3s and none have seperated the vapour and oil quite as well as this one. Some people put wire brillo pads into normal cans but it's nowhere near as effective.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Sorry mate I'm really not sure as I got it as part of a group buy on ASN. There was import tax to pay but we asked Saikomichi to mark the price down so we avoided it.

I've seen a few catch cans on S3s and none have seperated the vapour and oil quite as well as this one. Some people put wire brillo pads into normal cans but it's nowhere near as effective.

It looks like the stage 2 or 3 ill probably go for a 2.
I've got some relatives coing over from the states this month so I'll try and get it sent to them to ovoid the tax.
How often do you empty it and did you notice any differance in performance mpg?

Westle

Audi S3 Driver
May 22, 2009
It looks like the stage 2 or 3 ill probably go for a 2.
I've got some relatives coing over from the states this month so I'll try and get it sent to them to ovoid the tax.
How often do you empty it and did you notice any differance in performance mpg?

I tend to empty it once a month and get a small cups worth of crap that would normally have gone back into the boost system. I tend to get more liquid in the colder months due to condensation building up.

The engine seems to be a lot happier without this going back into the TIP, cleaner air and hoses don't get gunged up either.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Did you buy yours direct or in a group buy? If you don't mind me asking how much did it work out at?

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
What strut brace is that you have there? Are you running the cold air feed from the where the SMIC was?

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Is it the same as this one
3b90d532.jpg

5f92c6ee.jpg

I bought this for less than £10 from eBay but can't decided whether to fit it or not? I may see if I can get some beefier brackets made up.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise