GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Thanks to this guide I managed to fit my mfd, can't believe I used a hack saw on my new Leon!

Everything's working, just want to change the VW logo to a seat one

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Taa-DAAA!

Leon012.jpg

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
For information the new V8 maps are out

CD_7690 - Western Europe
CD_7691 - Eastern Europe

also knocking about are CD_7692/7693 which include speedcam POIs.

I can confirm cd_7692 (Western Europe) works perfectly in the Seat RNS510, enabling the 'blitzer' POI does indeed show speedcams.

Sadly, still no full postcode search which to be honest I wasn't really expecting to work, it's pretty obvious Seat aren't going to release a FW to enable the feature. Ah well, it will be 3 years old in July so will be trading it in anyway. Not sure yet what the next car will be, a lot will depend on the trade-in value and whether the new Leon will be in the showrooms by then.

All the best

Pub

Hey folks, went to do this today, unfortunately stopped by 2 issues;

1) I didn't have anything to cut the back of the stereo hole area with - might have to invest in a dremel! What has everyone else used?

2) My MDI Unit did not fit in the glovebox!

...For those who wonder about the 'SAFE' pin, if you use a VW MDI (iPod adaptor) you will not need to fit an extra wire to the SAFE port, as the MDI provides this.

Also, for those who want an MDI for the Leon, DO NOT buy the FULL kit (the massive dock thing 5N0 035 341E) you only need the small DVD sized adaptor box which is 5N0 035 342D (and the relevant looms of course!)

Once I get the tools for 1) and correct adaptor for 2) I will refit again!

...I did test the RNS and it was excellent :D although had to take it back out for now :(

Last edited:

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Hey folks, went to do this today, unfortunately stopped by 2 issues;

1) I didn't have anything to cut the back of the stereo hole area with - might have to invest in a dremel! What has everyone else used?

2) My MDI Unit did not fit in the glovebox!

...For those who wonder about the 'SAFE' pin, if you use a VW MDI (iPod adaptor) you will not need to fit an extra wire to the SAFE port, as the MDI provides this.

Also, for those who want an MDI for the Leon, DO NOT buy the FULL kit (the massive dock thing 5N0 035 341E) you only need the small DVD sized adaptor box which is 5N0 035 342D (and the relevant looms of course!)

Once I get the tools for 1) and correct adaptor for 2) I will refit again!

...I did test the RNS and it was excellent :D although had to take it back out for now :(

Didn't have to cut the back on mine, I just moved the cables out the way and it all fitted (once the front section had been cut)

What's an MDI?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
MDI - Media-In - the VW iPod adaptor (the proper one which shows track info, charges iPod/iPhone etc) but is far too expensive lol!

I also lost a screw from the back of the glovebox :(

Lol I lost two screws down the back of the glove box :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mikeypur

Nov 18, 2009
is anyone aware of how to change from the VW start up/splash screen on the RCD510 unit?

the guide on page 10 of this thread is for the RNS510 and it doesn't work for the RCD510 unit...

Any help much appreciated?

Cheers,
Mike

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Hi guys,

Today buying RNS 315...it's the top spec one with DAB, GPS and bluetooth. Bought myself the fascia, RNS 315, DAB (afar) glass mount antenna and the bluetooth wire/mic. The wire/mic is coming from the RNS315 seller and he advised me to buy the AFAR DAB antenna. It's firmware is apparantly (SEAT) media system, version 2.2 with all latest maps...

Dave at sere sent me the fascia and I got few clips with it - these aren't the ones from Halfords that I need are they? I've asked him but assuming not can anybody link me to the correct ones...and I guess I need to buy the trim removal tools too?

People have said plug and play..with the Seat 315 is the GPS and bluetooth installed in the unit? So I follow the guide, plug the DAB in and all other obvious ones, then I'm good?

I'll have all steering wheel buttons and whatever working without the need for any coding right? It's a Pre FL 08 FR without bluetooth pack...

Lastly, when people say disconnect the battery, is that simply disconnect the battery from the radio unit or..?

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to trying to fit this!

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Don't need the trim removal tools, I did mine with a broken up CD case as shown in the tutorial video.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

barneyclyro

Mar 24, 2012
Manchester
Hey, just fitted the rns 315 to my 08 Leon FR but it won't turn on... Batteries reconnected and car up and running but doesn't seem to be power to the system? Any help would be much appreciated please!

Biano44

Hi guys,
I have just picked up a 2008 FR Tfsi and installed the RNS510 version C.
But only the volume buttons work on the steering wheel, is there anything I can do to make the other buttons work again?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise