Limp home mode on FR TDI Ibiza

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
Hi,

had a search for the following code 17965, and have found bits and bobs to what the problem could be.

The car has a remap and the PD160 intake and its a BLT. the EGR is switched off to the best it can through VAG-COM.

The car will run normally and normal speed and will be fine when accelerating, although when accelerating hard through 4th and 5th it will go into limp home mode but after the car is restarted it operates fine. although if accelerating gradually to high speeds it will be fine.

i have used vagcom and i have got the following.

Sunday, 31 December 2006, 22:19:07

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 038 906 019 NJ

Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC 0400SG 7331

Software Coding: 00102

Work Shop Code: WSC 06402

Additional Info: VSSZZZ6LZ6R563864 SEZ7Z0F3424434

1 Fault Found:

17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

P1557 - 35-00 - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

From what i have read i hear the vanes on the turbo could be sticking, how easy is it to lubricate these or is it something else.

thanks in advance

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Could be anything from vacuum hoses, pressure valve on top of drives strut, vnt mechanism at turbo to finally vanes on turbo. What mileage you at?

gazjones

look like a boost spike dosent it positive deviation not an expert on the tdi so not sure what it is but its over boosting under high load

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
Could be anything from vacuum hoses, pressure valve on top of drives strut, vnt mechanism at turbo to finally vanes on turbo. What mileage you at?

Its on 8600miles at the moment.

is there anything i can check to see if it cures it?

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
Derv Doctor mapped it, they have tweaked the map as its been happening before, just wondering if it could be the vanes sticking rather than the map. i am going to call them today and see what they say.

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Derv Doctor mapped it, they have tweaked the map as its been happening before, just wondering if it could be the vanes sticking rather than the map. i am going to call them today and see what they say.

Seems low mileage for vanes in all honesty. I have a spare control solinoid that sits on the drivers strut - IIRC they are £110 to buy, but you can have it for £30 if you confirm its that when fault finding.

Mine used to do it approx 2800 revs under load.

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
Thanks for ya help, much appreciated.

Ive been using vag com to log the boost its running at, im not sure i had the right measuring block number though.

Ive been using 11 (Intake press with actual and specified) within the engine module, am on the right track?

ive got a graph from the data and can put it up if required, but the car did not go into limp home mode on that run as was just a short test run.

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
My bet would be your over boosting, and by the sounds of 4th and 5th, by quite a bit. Your best bet would be to get the map tweaked right down, or find a smoother line for it. I presume your car doesn't have a FMIC?

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
I dont have a FMIC but would this help the problem or make the problem worse as i am considering a FMIC in the very near future.

Im going down to the tuning place on monday so hopefully should get it sorted.

cheb

Ibiza FR TDi
Sep 27, 2006
Rotherham
can you confirm i am looking at the right measuring block on vag-com?

im using 11 which says intake press, would this be the boost?

Snoopie

Impossible
Feb 5, 2006
Enfield
I dont have a FMIC but would this help the problem or make the problem worse as i am considering a FMIC in the very near future.

Im going down to the tuning place on monday so hopefully should get it sorted.

This would help the problem. Simply because the Front Mounted Intercooler has more cold air going straight into it, and therefore can sustain colder/longer boost.
Forge do a good one with pipes exiting from the bottom, straight into the inlets.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.