New Leon rear screen

asmiffy79

Hi,

Tonight on the way home from work it was pretty cold (-2°C) and the rear window was iced up.
I drove home with the rear screen demister on, to try and thaw the ice. Pulled up at home, and while walking away from the car, 'BANG', the rear window exploded outward!!
Has anyone else heard of this happening?

:-o

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Hi,

Tonight on the way home from work it was pretty cold (-2°C) and the rear window was iced up.
I drove home with the rear screen demister on, to try and thaw the ice. Pulled up at home, and while walking away from the car, 'BANG', the rear window exploded outward!!
Has anyone else heard of this happening?

:-o

I've heard about this before possibly on a different forum, its seems that the reason for it to happen is that the rear de-mister gets stuck on, gets too hot, and pop.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Used to happen all the time with Lexus IS200s and the old Puntos ... I think :confused:

Wouldn't be surprised if they change the shape of the tracks on future models if it becomes a common problem. At least tell SEAT about it, you never know ;)

Last edited:

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
I'd heard a few anecdotal stories of rear screens breaking for no reason, so when I was last in the dealer I asked them about it. They said they had seen a "few" but that there is no official Seat document concerning the issue.

It only seems to be happening on very late model cars, i.e. 56 plates.

asmiffy79, it's interesting to see you are in Briddlington, as most of the anecdotal stroies are coming from the north east, Gateshead, Newcastle etc.

Birdy

Nov 30, 2006
Manchester (astley)
Funny you should mention this, i was at my local dealers this week and over heard two sales men talking about this happening on a car on the forecourt over the weekend, they said they where just stood next to it and BOOM the back window went, the car had'nt been moved for three weeks.!!!!!!!!!!!!

asmiffy79

Spoken to dealer today, he apparently had it happen with an Ibiza before.
Anyway they reckon its a problem with the switch allowing the screen to heat up too much, causing it to explode.
Luckily SEAT UK have agreed to replace it under warranty.

Hopefully won't take them too long, a polythene rear window ain't much fun when it's snowing!!!!

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Spoken to dealer today, he apparently had it happen with an Ibiza before.
Anyway they reckon its a problem with the switch allowing the screen to heat up too much, causing it to explode.
Luckily SEAT UK have agreed to replace it under warranty.

Hopefully won't take them too long, a polythene rear window ain't much fun when it's snowing!!!!

So are they doing anything with the switch then?? if not then surely you'll just have the same thing happen again!

asmiffy79

Yeah they are, apparently it's waiting for the switch that's holding them up till friday, they can get a screen straight away.

asmiffy79

Finally got car back today, only to find in the process of fixing the rear screen they've broken the boot lock, it's now held shut with tape!

After owning 2 leons a cordoba, and an Ibiza, I hoped this car would be as good as those, unfortunately after the broken window, a seized heater blower motor, faulty airbag connections, and a faulty rear wheel bearing in 1 year, i'm seriously considering trading it in for another brand.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.